If you had 2k to spend on an LP, what would YOU buy

Roger66

Reaction score
I just got a LP Traditional Pro V from GC last month. Great price (I paid $1747.99 total all in) and 48/months interest free! The guitar plays fantastic, the neck is smooth and it sounds awesome. I like the fact its the push/pull pots and I can play around with it quite a bit.

A very versatile guitar.
I put OOP pullpots on All my 2 pickup guitars. 3 OOP/OFF/ON switches and 3 vol. pots on my Strats. Except for the Blackie. (Clapton modded to Gilmour)
Pullpots RULE!

TheWhigs

Reaction score
I put OOP pullpots on All my 2 pickup guitars. 3 OOP/OFF/ON switches and 3 vol. pots on my Strats. Except for the Blackie. (Clapton modded to Gilmour)
Pullpots RULE!
My first set of push/pull pots I've had on a guitar. Kind different to experiment with but I've been happy so far.

Roger66

Reaction score
I'd get my exact same guitar. I'd take the $2000, and then beg the store to get them down in price, and then I'd borrow the difference from Grandma and cut her lawn for a year. These 50s Standards are amazing. View attachment 540647
I can spend more. You always tell the store that you have another option and schmooze them up like they schmooze you. Like: "The other guitar store will get me one for $X, but I love you guys and I want to give YOU my business. Can you match their price? That would be GREAT" Then they go and 'talk to the manager' and you know you got it. Then get them to throw in a strap and some new strings. I got my walnut gold elite strat new in 1983 for $650 Exactly that way. It listed for $1299 or so. The only others I bought new were a 2003 Ricky bass, a Ricky 620, a 2004 LP studio. And a EC Blackie strat. The LP studio was the best out of the 3 they had of that color and model, but I hardly ever picked it up. I lost $300 when I sold it. But I still have the other ones. After that, I haven't bought anything new. I really like the older ones. I think that Mojo is built up and a good guitar is a Mojo capacitor. They get me to play stuff I don't normally play. You can tell before you plug it in. Now I am strictly a man of science. Not religious. But very curious. Science doesn't have a Mojo theory YET, but I am convinced of it's existence.
Also, before you pull the trigger, look for used ones and ask yourself 'WHY are so many 2019's for sale??! No one will tell you what's wrong with them either. Really good stuff is hard to find and rarely cheap. Keep it in the back of your mind, and in a few months, It will find you!

Roger66

Reaction score
My first set of push/pull pots I've had on a guitar. Kind different to experiment with but I've been happy so far.
Yeah, first I really didn't know enough about out of phase sounds. I had really no Idea that it was all in the balance of both pickups. The way the sound totally changes when one is a hair louder than the other. If you send two pickups out of phase through one vol. pot, your OOP tone is 'fixed' at where it lays. Then pickup height is really the only way to adjust the OOP sound. That's why I have 3 vol. pots on my strats. And 3 switches. ON/OFF/OOP. 2 pickupguitars usually have 2 vol. pots, so they are good. Just switching out of phase is meh, but playing with the vol. knobs when out of phase is WOW! The honk and quack in OOP operation sounds, also really help a wah pedal.

Dark Horse

Reaction score
I'd go the Epi prophecy or a LTD LP style I have two Gibson LPs so if wanting the 24 frets, different voicing etc.

If choosing Gibson I'd go the Classic. But thats relative to what I already have.

Last edited:

ClassicLP

Reaction score
I want another Les Paul. I have around 2k to spend. I already have a 2011 LP Supreme. I would like to buy an older one. Which one would YOU buy, and why. I'm pretty old school and I like Zeppelin to Zappa. Not much for speed metal or high gain dive bomby harmonics. It will go through a JTM-45 or Fender Twin Reverb. Through a tube English Muffin. I Will wire it for out of phase with a pull pot. Any suggestions?
Roger, sounds like a great idea. I use similar gear. You might consider a 2016 Standard. It comes with burst bucker pros that are dynamic at all volume levels. The guitar can do Americana, blues, funk, jazz and hard rock. It has coil taps, an out of phase push pull, and a tone bypass. The 60s neck is great. Modern weight relief. Happy hunting!

rogue3

Reaction score
Late 80's Standard.What i have. May be well used,but,Very nice Les Pauls.

I don't know what the current market prices are like for late 80's.A couple years back @ 2 large,used, was doable.crazy market now, so idk.Just stay vigilant.

blues4jesus

Reaction score
I want another Les Paul. I have around 2k to spend. I already have a 2011 LP Supreme. I would like to buy an older one. Which one would YOU buy, and why. I'm pretty old school and I like Zeppelin to Zappa. Not much for speed metal or high gain dive bomby harmonics. It will go through a JTM-45 or Fender Twin Reverb. Through a tube English Muffin. I Will wire it for out of phase with a pull pot. Any suggestions?
Dispite what the opinions are,go find yourself a used Heritage H150. You will have a guitar made by the same Master Luther's who built the holy Grail Era Les Paul's exactly. Same wood same tools same everything built in the hallsof Parsons Street it's a no Brainerd unless feel the need to have Gibson on your headstock. R series $1000s Heritage around 1300-1800 used. Don't follow the herd.

Gas4LPs

Reaction score
It depends on the neck. If you like a 60's neck slim neck go for the Classic. The olive one is nice!

If you like a 50's neck get the Standard 50's. Also check out the Les Paul Studio.

Oddball667

Reaction score
I would keep an eye out for a really nice "used" one .
I got a 1993 lp studio last fall I absolutely love

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I will look for a 2001. I like bigger frets. And can do the mods the way I like it. I fear that a new one would have a PCB in it, Yecch!
my number 1 is a bone stock 07 classic

dont skeep on the 496/500 either…they are monsters and give great tone using them on low volume and driving sound level on amp…
completely underrated pup set I have on 3 guitars…

-chris

TheWhigs

Reaction score
Yeah, first I really didn't know enough about out of phase sounds. I had really no Idea that it was all in the balance of both pickups. The way the sound totally changes when one is a hair louder than the other. If you send two pickups out of phase through one vol. pot, your OOP tone is 'fixed' at where it lays. Then pickup height is really the only way to adjust the OOP sound. That's why I have 3 vol. pots on my strats. And 3 switches. ON/OFF/OOP. 2 pickupguitars usually have 2 vol. pots, so they are good. Just switching out of phase is meh, but playing with the vol. knobs when out of phase is WOW! The honk and quack in OOP operation sounds, also really help a wah pedal.
Thanks very much for the input! :)

I'm going to have to read up more on it. I'm just a bit lazy when it comes time to experimenting too much. I prefer plugging in and playing...maybe a few effects here and there (and that's pushing it as well).

That being said, I actually have multiple amp/effect systems so maybe I should get off my lazy bum and get to work! :thumb:

Roger66

Reaction score
Roger, sounds like a great idea. I use similar gear. You might consider a 2016 Standard. It comes with burst bucker pros that are dynamic at all volume levels. The guitar can do Americana, blues, funk, jazz and hard rock. It has coil taps, an out of phase push pull, and a tone bypass. The 60s neck is great. Modern weight relief. Happy hunting!
Thanks.

Roger66

Reaction score
That's easy.
I'd get a fender deluxe a Vox ac30 and another 2020 epi shell to work on. Lol
Yeah, I will buy a vintage AC30 with top boost soon. I Already have a Org. 65 Fender twin Reverb and a JTM-45 Hendrix reisue. So I think I'll go for a Gibson solid body LP. I already have a 2011 LP Supreme, which I managed to put a OOP pull.pot in. That was a bitch due to no access plate on the back. I had to do it through the jack plate hole!!

Roger66

Reaction score
Late 80's Standard.What i have. May be well used,but,Very nice Les Pauls.

I don't know what the current market prices are like for late 80's.A couple years back @ 2 large,used, was doable.crazy market now, so idk.Just stay vigilant.
Thanks, that's kinda my plan. Sorry, In Fact, f*** me on what I am about to say. You meant 'diligent'. Vigilant implies law enforcement, like 'vigilante' we made the same mistake on an album cover, thanking our producer for his 'Vigilance' in geting it right, lol. While I am at it, EVERYBODY LISTEN: do not say 'to be honest...' that implies that you lie most of the time. It begs the question 'what are you feeding me the rest of the time??!' Its far better to say: 'to be FRANK...' or 'to be BLUNT...' depending on the situation. Anyway, if I am diligent, I just might find a late '70's one for that price. There is one in the classifieds here, in fact, but I won't have the $$ for over a month. It's part of an inheritence that isn't in probate. Fidelity says a month and 5 days, but I don't trust them so I'm not gonna ask him to hold it for me and make a promise Fidelity cannot keep. I keep my promises, but insurance companies have no reason to. They have you over a barrel. You know? I meant no disrespect for correcting your wording. I just recently learned the difference between diligent and vigilant myself. I just thought I'd share that. It rarely comes up anyway. Actually, I like it when someone tells me I am wrong. That means that I learned something. Thanks, Roger.

rogue3

Reaction score
Thanks, that's kinda my plan. Sorry, In Fact, f*** me on what I am about to say. You meant 'diligent'. Vigilant implies law enforcement, like 'vigilante' we made the same mistake on an album cover, thanking our producer for his 'Vigilance' in geting it right, lol. While I am at it, EVERYBODY LISTEN: do not say 'to be honest...' that implies that you lie most of the time. It begs the question 'what are you feeding me the rest of the time??!' Its far better to say: 'to be FRANK...' or 'to be BLUNT...' depending on the situation. Anyway, if I am diligent, I just might find a late '70's one for that price. There is one in the classifieds here, in fact, but I won't have the $$ for over a month. It's part of an inheritence that isn't in probate. Fidelity says a month and 5 days, but I don't trust them so I'm not gonna ask him to hold it for me and make a promise Fidelity cannot keep. I keep my promises, but insurance companies have no reason to. They have you over a barrel. You know? I meant no disrespect for correcting your wording. I just recently learned the difference between diligent and vigilant myself. I just thought I'd share that. It rarely comes up anyway. Actually, I like it when someone tells me I am wrong. That means that I learned something. Thanks, Roger.
wow.no.it's all cool.peace.

Stinky Kitty

Reaction score
+1 on The Heritage. I have three bucket list guitars made pre buyout that are Custom Shop quality in materials, construction, and in fit and finish. All were priced well under the big name equivalent, yet are of consistent high quality. Can't speak to the post buyout models.

Roger66

Reaction score
wow.no.it's all cool.peace.
Cool. Good stuff to know at least SOME people here are pretty uptight and seem to look for anything to embrace as an insult, lol. We all know who they are. You are not one. Thanks.

Stinky Kitty

Reaction score
Pancake? What's that? Forgive me! I have been a fender guy forever. I want the heaviest LP I can find. P-90s and Ebony is a total Plus. Does the thickness vary over the years? Has anyone here run P-90's out of phase?
Pancake is the body construction style used in the early to mid 70s. Two thinner mahogany slabs were used for the back in place of a single thicker slab. There was a much thinner (approx. less than 1/8") cross grained maple layer between the two mahogany slabs and between the top mahogany slab an maple cap.

Here's a picture showing the maple layers. Under the thin binding of the cutaway, the lighter maple layer is visible between the back and cap. The other layer is visible along the sides of the body, midway between the bindings..

3w.JPG

Roger66

Reaction score
my number 1 is a bone stock 07 classic

dont skeep on the 496/500 either…they are monsters and give great tone using them on low volume and driving sound level on amp…
completely underrated pup set I have on 3 guitars…

-chris
I think I have a 496 and a 498 on my Supreme. They sound great now. I had to unscrew the pole pieces on the neck pickup and lower it a bit to get rid of the mud. I put tropical fish caps .27mfd's and a pull pot for out of phase in as well. Quite a bitch with no access plate on the back, lol. I didn't know much about LP's or SG's. Still don't compared with others on this site. I was a fender man for 4 decades. But I thought the Supreme would be adequate.
Now I want a solid one with P-90's. Which I THOUGHT were humbucking with 2 stacked coils. It just made sense to me. But I guess not all of them are like that. I've had similar things happen like When I was 9, I thought it was common knowledge that galaxies have black holes at their center, and I thought it very odd that the outside spins at the same rate as the inside, and they keep their shape. I wondered where all that extra mass required to keep their shapes was coming from, instead of swirling into a consistent mixture like stirring paint. Imagine my surprise when they fairly recently 'discovered' a black hole at the center of our galaxy! Also they figured like I did that there was something else (dark matter) that kept the galaxy from swirling together into soup. Life is weird. Sometimes you dont know that everyone doesn't know what you thought was common knowledge. It happens to me all the time. Might I digress, lol. It bugs me though. Yeah! Solid with P-90's. I will put the OOP pull pot on it. That's what I am looking for now. Some kind of burst would be nice too.
All the information I have gotten from everyone has been priceless and has helped me realize what I really want. I don't mind spending more than 2k now. I am pretty sure what I want now, and I want a good one! Solid, maybe with P-90's, before weight relief or chambering, preferably a burst, heritage cherry or black. Thanks!

Latest Threads