If you had 2k to spend on an LP, what would YOU buy

Roger66

Reaction score
I want another Les Paul. I have around 2k to spend. I already have a 2011 LP Supreme. I would like to buy an older one. Which one would YOU buy, and why. I'm pretty old school and I like Zeppelin to Zappa. Not much for speed metal or high gain dive bomby harmonics. It will go through a JTM-45 or Fender Twin Reverb. Through a tube English Muffin. I Will wire it for out of phase with a pull pot. Any suggestions?

brianbzed

Reaction score
They're slightly different tone and output wise, compared to PAF's -good or bad is totally subjective. Some of my favorite 70's solos were done with a mini-hum Deluxe and a Boss EQ pedal ( one example is "Hold On Loosely" ). Would love to add that sound to my arsenal !!

Non-rabbit

Reaction score
The new Classics get a good Zappa sound out of the box with the combination of the coil tap and out of phase switch. To me it's very similar to the Watermelon in Easter Hay tone. I love mine and for $2k there's probably not a better Les Paul out there.

Roger66

Reaction score
The new Classics get a good Zappa sound out of the box with the combination of the coil tap and out of phase switch. To me it's very similar to the Watermelon in Easter Hay tone. I love mine and for $2k there's probably not a better Les Paul out there.
What if I put the pull pots in myself on a 2003? Would it be better than a new one?

Roger66

Reaction score
What if I put the pull pots in myself on a 2003? Would it be better than a new one?
I did that to a 76 SG, but the pups were only 2 conductor. That is, by far, my favorite axe.
The OOP sound is beyond fantastic. OOP With the tone knobs all the way down gives a pretty good Ms. Pinky tone.

ARandall

Reaction score
You'd have to directly a/b it with the new you had as the option to know that.

Only 'downside' about the classics are the hot-as-hell pickups. I mean the effortless sustain and thick aggressive tone can be fun, but the tradeoff is there is less dynamic range to the pickup, and rolling back the volume doesn't quite make it a low output pickup either (the 'compression' lingers even at low volumes).

Brian N

Reaction score
I would also say a LP Classic. Awesome guitars.

Would an old one be better? It depends! The new ones have smaller frets. The old ones had a real ABR-1 bridge with metal posts screwed into the body, although around 2003ish they switched to Nashville. It is easy to tell which one it has though.

Know with older guitars you may find condition issues. I bought a 2000 Classic last month and was burned on it; undisclosed fret wear, cracking all over the binding, and scrapes all over. Plus it had 21 years of someone else's hand grime all over it. Yuck! Needless to say, I returned it. Youd just need to be diligent to avoid that. I ended up buying a used 2017 Classic. 2018 is the last year they used the normal sized frets. They don't have a true ABR-1 though (not a big deal to me).

Roger66

Reaction score
I would also say a LP Classic. Awesome guitars.

Would an old one be better? It depends! The new ones have smaller frets. The old ones had a real ABR-1 bridge with metal posts screwed into the body, although around 2003ish they switched to Nashville. It is easy to tell which one it has though.

Know with older guitars you may find condition issues. I bought a 2000 Classic last month and was burned on it; undisclosed fret wear, cracking all over the binding, and scrapes all over. Plus it had 21 years of someone else's hand grime all over it. Yuck! Needless to say, I returned it. Youd just need to be diligent to avoid that. I ended up buying a used 2017 Classic. 2018 is the last year they used the normal sized frets. They don't have a true ABR-1 though (not a big deal to me).
Thanks, I will look for a 2001. I like bigger frets. And can do the mods the way I like it. I fear that a new one would have a PCB in it, Yecch!

Nintari

Reaction score
I would get a dealer to discount a 50's and buy that.

Latest Threads