If you had 10,000 dollars to buy any Les Paul and you had to spend it all on only 1, what would you buy?

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
If we're talking non-Gibson, I'd be getting a Bartlett Retrospec as well.

If we're talking Gibson... hard call but it'd likely be a 3 pickup 57 BB reissue.

In all honestly I'd rather prefer to buy a killer R8 + a killer Carr amp, and pocket the change.
Well, ideally it'd be a '56, either GT or LPC (with a '64 Vibroverb) - but we were limited to $10K, so.........

nigelthebald

Reaction score
Assuming it won't get me kicked out of the forum, a Greco Super Real Series EGF 1800, or failing that a 1200.

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's great to see so many of us would get a Custom!

Although I'd prefer that it wasn't relic'd, I'd put it towards this and hope that I could some how come-up with the rest:

uX14TD0.jpg

reedrainey

Reaction score
Regardless of price, I'd gladly forfeit the rest of the 10 grand to have a "2014 Ltd. Edition Quilted Oceanwater Blue Perimeter" Les Paul. Then I'd remove the eTune system for some locking tuners. That is the most beautiful guitar I've ever seen in my 78 years. I just don't think any Gibson LP guitar is worth what they want for a lot of them...$5000, $6000.. whatever the market will take. Gibson has been making all these "special" guitars just to price gouge, so if someone gave me the $10,000, that's the guitar I'd want. I can mod the thing to what I want, change the pickups, etc. I don't believe in the "Holy Grail" concept in guitars. If Gibson would start selling guitars for REAL players instead of collectors who want to buy them as investments and sell them 5-10 years later, there wouldn't be all these competitve knock-offs out there to satisfy the desire for a good guitar. I don't think ANY guitar over $2500 to $3000 is a good deal unless someone wants to erect a holy shrine in their home and invite visitors to enter and pay homage and respects to the guitar, laying flowers at its' feet.
Quilted 2014 Gibson Les Paul Oceanwater Blue Perimeter Ltd. Ed..jpg

Rigidarm

Reaction score
It could be brand new or used ..what would it be ?:)
I have a ‘68 GT but I’d love a 1954 GT. It could be rough and gouged up but as long as it played I’d be cloud 9. Then if I could play and sing half as well as Sean Costello… oh, sorry, I started daydreaming.

Attachments

• 15986CE8-236C-4770-BB0E-CDA344CBE768.jpeg
    15986CE8-236C-4770-BB0E-CDA344CBE768.jpeg
    63.6 KB · Views: 4

Oakman29

Reaction score
Ouch! I am still pissed at having a MXR Distortion + pedal stolen from me (and pretty much knowing exactly who did it, but no real proof). I can not even imagine that.
What's worse is I think I know who did it too. I went to school with Erik Turner the guitarist of Warrant , and think he did it. Like you though I have zero proof.

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
Hell, I may be dating myself but I remember when you could easily score them for $500 to $600. In fact, I bought one way back for that much.

Now I personally do not buy into the "old wood" or "Kalamazoo is better" mindsets, i've owned to many good and too many bad from both factories to believe in any hard and fast rules there, but they are very cool guitars for their provenance and the way they have aged.
I know I'm dating myself (what can I say? I have the 'net, and I've been married a long time......), but one of the guitarists in my HS bands was a wheeler/dealer; it was a rare week he didn't buy & sell at least 1 each direction. Many, many of these were Jrs, & Specials - both single & double cut, '50s & '60s. He neither gave nor got more than $75 for any of them.

Robby

Reaction score
Regardless of price, I'd gladly forfeit the rest of the 10 grand to have a "2014 Ltd. Edition Quilted Oceanwater Blue Perimeter" Les Paul. Then I'd remove the eTune system for some locking tuners. That is the most beautiful guitar I've ever seen in my 78 years. I just don't think any Gibson LP guitar is worth what they want for a lot of them...$5000, $6000.. whatever the market will take. Gibson has been making all these "special" guitars just to price gouge, so if someone gave me the $10,000, that's the guitar I'd want. I can mod the thing to what I want, change the pickups, etc. I don't believe in the "Holy Grail" concept in guitars. If Gibson would start selling guitars for REAL players instead of collectors who want to buy them as investments and sell them 5-10 years later, there wouldn't be all these competitve knock-offs out there to satisfy the desire for a good guitar. I don't think ANY guitar over $2500 to $3000 is a good deal unless someone wants to erect a holy shrine in their home and invite visitors to enter and pay homage and respects to the guitar, laying flowers at its' feet. View attachment 571523
I have that exact guitar in natural instead of blue, its a les paul elegant with abalone inlays and ebony board

GeeJay

Reaction score
Would like to have the 2007 R7 that I stupidly left in the store back in 2009 and spend the rest on lessons…

Last edited:

Gas4LPs

Reaction score
Gibson Les Paul 50's Standard with a reasonable weight.

Fltwrench

Reaction score
Maybe just an 'ordinary' R9 that I can find for $4,500-$6,000 and let the 10k donor keep the change.

If available maybe an R9 M2M with the axcess heel joint. Left handed of course

View attachment 570989
I have had many Les Pauls and the best one I’ve ever had is the Slash appetite. It’s the one with the logo just on the back of headstock. Only complaints are the frets are a bit small and wear very easily. With 10K for a budget I would buy another one of these, refret it and spend the other 7K on gear. R8, R9..etc don’t play or sound any better to me….just a whole lot more cash.

Lefty2play

Reaction score
If I had $10k to spend on any Gibson custom shop guitar it would be a 2009 Mike Bloomfield ‘59 reissue. When Gibson had a retail store at Opry Mills in Nashville, I passed up the chance to buy one for $3900. Then Nashville had the big flood which most likely destroyed that guitar and the Gibson store never reopened… The one that got away…

PlainAllman

Reaction score
The first and best option I think would be, as others have said, to buy a vintage Jr of some sort. Another option that appeals to me would be to get a birthyear model. That would be a 75 with a SN starting with 99. I know they’re reputation of not being the best models with the maple neck and pancake body and all but the cool factor of having a guitar the same age as me is worth it. The third option would be just to rile some people. I’d buy that Page custom someone was railing about the price of in another thread. :io:

Reactions: ADP

Progrocker111

Reaction score
I just luckily bought one, near mint 1970 Custom. Sounds better than reissues.

Attachments

• QPWKgZt.jpg
    QPWKgZt.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 3
  • f1IjmLT.jpg
    f1IjmLT.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 3
  • dgwbyT2.jpg
    dgwbyT2.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 3

Oakman29

Reaction score
I just luckily bought one, near mint 1970 Custom. Sounds better than reissues.
That to me is the sweet spot for Les Pauls, 1968-1973. As far as 59 Les Paul's? They may be considered the holy grail of Gibson Les Paul's, but have any of you ever really played one? Not really as playable as you may think. Nice to own , but they have their issues. I have played a 59 LP , and I would rather have the reissue than the real deal to play.

rogue3

Reaction score
Early 60's SG Junior, with the original single P90. And enough left over for a Brown Fender Super(61).

Choice 2, '68 Les Paul Custom...though i doubt if they can be had today for 10 large. :eek2:

so that's my answer to the op: Vintage/used.

Last edited:

Lord Brutalus

Reaction score
A Zakk Wylde les paul custom bullseye. That should hit the 10k target and they are killer guitars that will only gain value over time.

Latest Threads