If You Ever Have The Chance to Buy Something From Musician's Friend

MichaelAndrew3435

Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't.

I bought a power supply for a pedal that required 24v. They send me a 12v supply and I unknowingly hooked it up to my pedal. Pretty sure the pedal is destroyed since I smelled a weird, burning smell after plugging it in. I didn't realize it was the wrong power supply until I checked the little sticker on the back afterwards.

I call MF to let them know what happened and they refused to admit they sent me the wrong power supply. I even took a picture of the sticker on the back and they still claimed I didn't prove it was the wrong power supply. I asked if there was anything they could do for me regarding the $400 pedal they destroyed, and they told me all they could do is give me a $50 MF gift coupon. I told them I'd wipe my ass with it and send it FedEx 2 day shipping. Yeah, I get a little angry when people don't do their jobs and it costs me money.

Attachments

MichaelAndrew3435

Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry your pedal was destroyed OP.

I have never plugged a power supply into a device without checking the voltage and current on both devices first. The info is right there on the devices. :dunno:
Yeah, but I'm naive and think if I order a 24v power supply, I get a 24v power supply,

TheX

Voice of Reason
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Verify before applying power. I agree they have fault in this as well.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Undervoltage shouldn't have an effect like that unless it was reverse polarity
Even with reverse polarity, I wouldn't expect it to kill it.

The plugs should also be of different sizes, shouldn't they? Was the power supply supposed to be of the same brand?

Keep trying. They will make it right...eventually.

Rds

Reaction score
Tough break with the pedal. I've never had a problem with them but anyone is prone to make mistakes. Keep shaking the tree. Hope they make it right.

:headbanger:

Caoimhin

Reaction score
I've been buying from Musician's Friend for 13 years and never had a problem. Always check the packaging and labels before using something. Companies don't usually cover damage done by operator error. I hope it works out for you but they aren't 100% at fault.

Deftone

Reaction score
I've used MF for close to 20 years and I'd like to say I've never had an issue but I do seem to vaguely remember some sort of problem that was similar.

That said, I can't fault them too much for one issue with an otherwise perfect record over so many years.

Guitar Center bro.

Always always always buy from sweetwater if buying from one of the giant mailorder companies.
Guitar Center owns Musician's Friend. Bro.

defcrew

Reaction score
I've bought lots from MF w nothing but good experience. Here's something y'all also might try. Almost every state has an unclaimed property site. There must be a law that companies have to list all outgoing checks and stuff or even unclaimed tax rebates with the govt. I went there at my daughter's urging, typed in my info and wound up getting $347 check from them. It was designated as being from MF. I honestly have no idea what it was even about. My son did the same and got back almost $1000 the majority of which was from AT$T.

fry

Reaction score
I've used MF for close to 20 years and I'd like to say I've never had an issue but I do seem to vaguely remember some sort of problem that was similar.

That said, I can't fault them too much for one issue with an otherwise perfect record over so many years.

Guitar Center owns Musician's Friend. Bro.
I think that’s exactly what he was pointing out. If you’re shopping there, you’re actually shopping at guitar center. I’ve been buying from Musician’s Friend since the 80s, the old black-and-white catalog days. The pre-guitar center era they were awesome, exceptional customer service.

TheX

Voice of Reason
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I buy from GC, MF, and of course Sweetwater. I don't have any real complaints about any of them.

slug_maine

Reaction score
That's odd that they would send you something other than what you ordered.

bad565ss

Reaction score
I've bought a ton of stuff from MF over the years. Amps, cabs, pedals, etc. Everything but guitars. Only 1 issue ever. A cracked preamp tube. They promptly sent out a replacement without issue. Sorry about your issue but my feeling is that you should always verify you have received what you ordered prior to use.

TheX

Voice of Reason
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry about your issue but my feeling is that you should always verify you have received what you ordered prior to use.
yessir, this is true.