If you can't tell the difference between a real Gibson and a fake then........

Studio06

Reaction score
I understand when people are asking about online guitars, but If you can't tell the difference between a real Gibson and a fake guitar in person, then maybe you shouldn't be buying a Gibson until you can? I've seen alot of threads where people want advice on if a guitar is real or fake, but I keep wondering if you can't tell if a Gibson is real, then you can't possible appreciate what makes it special. So why are you buying it? Is it just for the name?

As soon as you touch a Gibson, you can feel the Nitro finish, so in a second you should know if it's real or not. If you can't tell right away this or the other tell tale signs (nibs over binding, build quality, the smell and if you actually plug it in "the sound":naughty:)

I'm not trying to be mean, I didn't know much about them a while back, and when I didn't know I just played a copy and was happy, cause I didn't know the difference. Only after I understood and could feel, smell and hear the difference did I want and appreciate the real thing.

dennistruckdriver

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
By the way, I think that photo of Chuck Berry was taken when he was recording the 'London Sessions' album, from which came his only #1 hit, the live version of 'My Ding-a-ling'.

Bing17

Reaction score
Myself, I cannot smell the difference between the real ones and the fake ones. Other than that, I'm okay.

Studio06

Reaction score
Love Chuck!!!

"Once I was swimmin cross turtle creek, man them snappers all around my feet!"

Nicky

On The Road Less Traveled
Reaction score
By the way, I think that photo of Chuck Berry was taken when he was recording the 'London Sessions' album, from which came his only #1 hit, the live version of 'My Ding-a-ling'.

Thank you for that. I remember watching him on the Mike Douglas show playing "Memphis Tennessee" and "Johnny B. Goode" with John Lennon back in 1972! Seems like it was just yesterday...sad.

faded studio

Reaction score
If people are trying to inform themselves on what makes a Gibson real , I dont see what the big deal is. I feel that forums like this are to help us unimformed folks.

Studio06

Reaction score
If people are trying to inform themselves on what makes a Gibson real , I dont see what the big deal is. I feel that forums like this are to help us unimformed folks.

Really? Do you think it's good for people to pay thousands of dollars for a guitar, but not be able to tell whether it is real or a cheap copy even when it's in their hands?

I have nothing against informative threads on the differences between real and fake, but why would you spend the money if you can't tell?

faded studio

Reaction score
Really? Do you think it's good for people to pay thousands of dollars for a guitar, but not be able to tell whether it is real or a cheap copy even when it's in their hands?

I have nothing against informative threads on the differences between real and fake, but why would you spend the money if you can't tell?

I think that if you dont know buy one at a dealer. If you dont know and are buying used , find out before you put money on the table.

qwank

Reaction score
If you can't tell the difference between a real Gibson and a fake then........STFU!!

sorry, i thought it was a fill in the blank

Ferrarimk13

Reaction score
whats the difference between a fender and a gibson? I see famous people using both. Which should i get?

Rikochet

Reaction score
because people like to be absolutely sure what they paying for what they think they are getting.

jon1

Reaction score
People will choose to buy a real Gibson, because it assures them that they will have a quality guitar as they get better and better. The better you get, the more you can judge a guitar on quality, and you begin to start looking for different things.

To sum this up, people buy real Gibsons so that they wont have to buy a Gibson instead of their initial copy/cheaper guitar when they get good enough to tell the difference.

Hemply

Reaction score
I dunno I kind of like throwing around thousands of dollars and hope I get the real thing? Hey its only money I'll make more of it!:thumb:

Lefty666

Reaction score
I can smell the difference too. Nitro has a unique smell

rockstar232007

Reaction score

There are A LOT of...unsusspecting people out there.

For many, it's the prices. If they find a "Gibson LP" for $300, all they see is "Gibson" and "$300", nothing else.

But I understand where the OP is coming from. It sickens me, how many people are STILL (after ALL of the info that is available) getting taken, or at least have to ask about a potential "fake" guitar!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again! If you've seen MOST LPs, you've seen them ALL! They are cosmetically (overall shape, especially the cutaway) the same (except for a few choice '70s models). It's really NOT that hard to tell the differences, even for someone who is not very familiar with them. All you have to do is look.

Ahpook

Reaction score
Does anyone play anymore?

Or just bitch about fakes and how it looks hanging on the wall?

Latest Threads