If meat eaters were like vegans...

matthew bear

Reaction score
Mr Kitty, thank you for speaking some wisdom... I'm trying my best to be a nice fellow, I wish I had been a little less obtuse.

But seriously Bill, fiber :laugh2:

parts

Reaction score
Mr Kitty, thank you for speaking some wisdom... I'm trying my best to be a nice fellow, I wish I had been a little less obtuse.

But seriously Bill, fiber :laugh2:
Matt.. I am also a Diabetic.. Originally I went too severe with the diet..ate only salads not knowing how a vegan diet needs protein without meat or what to eat.
I lost a LOT of weight quickly..all the weight I had gained quickly..75 lbs in 4 months..however I went functionally blind.

I could see thing up close without the reading glasses but then could not see past the hood of my car without READING glasses !
I burned the nerves in my eyes..
I went Adkins..again..Diabetes responded well..however I missed anything CRUNCHY..not a diet I could maintain..

I settled on a healthy mix.. I always have had meatless days.. Now I have less meat portions with my favorite veggies and have regulated well..
I go for quality over volume..

When I was first diagnosed I was in a coma for several days..BS was 800..
I had little kids at the time so as my usual I went extreme..

Now under very good control//back to the weight I always had before the onset of Diabeties which caused me to gain 75LBS in a short time.
I now..and for the last ten years weigh about what I weighed playing baseball in college..
I think a moderation in diet works best for me..

I even get my delicious pasta (Dago Boy) but not as often and I regulate before and after meals for a couple days.. Going Eggplant Parmesan for next splurge..or Moussaka..

Very little beer..but only excellent beer when I do drink. I have found Vodka to least effect my sugars.. Never liked Vodka..I was always Cognac or Beer.. loved my beer and Napoleon..

But a little Vodka in an unsweetened Tea..with a couple Sweet in Low..and MM..nice..

I have always had a taste for Veggies..and Meat.. So i do both..

As long as it works..it's the best way..

I draw the line at Tofu..tried but rather gnaw on my arm..

matthew bear

Reaction score
Parts, I'm glad you found what works for you, and I'm really glad you made it through a really dangerous spot! I do care about animal welfare, but I care about my own species first and I understand you gotta find your dietary groove. Take care my friend :)

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Usually when people get so worked up over a non-issue such as this there's another underlying agenda. It ain't the subject at hand.

I'm 61 years old...and that's been my experience. Eat what you want for god's sake. It's nobody elses business. Some of the same folks that want to tell vegans how they should eat are the same ones who decry the 'nanny state' that wants to dictate what they do in life. And plenty of obnoxious meat eaters go out of their way to overzealously defend their habits and even worse punish those that don't. Just like the vegans they don't like. Meh.

Sure I've encountered the self-righteous vegan. Absolutely. Also ex-smoker, ex-drinker,ex-philanderer, ex-asian car driver...(drive Amurican!) ad infinitum. Not to mention those who feel the need to save your soul while ignoring their own glaring issues. It's human nature not exclusive to vegans. Which I'm not by the way. Tried it during my youth. After I had kids it just wasn't practical or affordable during those times. So we had a 'macrobiotic' diet. :laugh2: We ate whatever we could afford and tried to stay balanced and healthy while growing a lot of our food. Like a lot of people around the world.

Yep. Many reasons not to eat meat. If you don't want to. Many reasons to eat meat. If you want to. It's not really something I can get worked up about.

TheX

Dirka Dirka
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I've decided to try this for myself. I just had a physical with full bloodwork and lipid panel. I'm going to go full on vegan for 90 days. I'll continue my 7.5 hours a week training at the gym and at least 80 miles a week on my road bike. At the end of the 90 days, I'll have my bloodwork done again and I'll see the REAL results. I'll know right away if there is a loss of muscle mass/energy/endurance.

I need to put some facts into this for myself.

pnuggett

Reaction score
So, I've decided to try this for myself. I just had a physical with full bloodwork and lipid panel. I'm going to go full on vegan for 90 days. I'll continue my 7.5 hours a week training at the gym and at least 80 miles a week on my road bike. At the end of the 90 days, I'll have my bloodwork done again and I'll see the REAL results. I'll know right away if there is a loss of muscle mass/energy/endurance.

I need to put some facts into this for myself.
Just make sure it's organic, Non GMO and gluten free.:fingersx:

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Why either or though?

We're built to be omnivores. We eat both.

Living off of purely plants seems as odd as living off of purely meat.

Moderation perhaps is key over extremism

Stinky Kitty

Reaction score
Keep in mind that it is a matter of substitution and not elimination.

One thing I had to learn was that when it felt like my body was craving meat, it was craving protein. During my years of meat eating, it learned to recognize meat as protein. Once I started substituting other protein sources, the cravings changed to the alternate protein sources.

Kudos to you, I wish you well in your endeavor.

Crotch

Skippy Handleman
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just don't take away my bread and we're good.

EasyAce

Reaction score
Eat what you want for god's sake. It's nobody else's business.
That right there, actually.

I couldn't care less who eats what.

My own experience is that I've been accosted far more often by vegans (as opposed to simple vegetarians, who tend not to accost people that way) and PETA pipers getting into my grille and demanding---not suggesting, or merely asking if I've considered, but demanding---I get with the (their) program. To the point where if it doesn't happen while I'm preparing or enjoying a meal, I regret not having had a hamburger in my hand or a fine steak at the end of my fork when so confronted.

One such encounter happened a few years ago, as I was entering a restaurant that called itself a steakhouse right on the sign at the front of the property; the three individuals in question were so nasty about it that I promised to dedicate the first bite of my forthcoming steak---medium rare---to them.

Approach me like a civilised human being and I'll listen and talk accordingly. I'm funny that way.

matthew bear

Reaction score
X, check out Mike Mahler on the interwebs. He is a strength and conditioning coach the does a plant based diet. the are many ways do do plant based, some are good, some are really bad. you may need some time to learn how to hit your preferred macro's and such, but it is possible to do just about any kind of diet within the plant kingdom... hell there's even vegan Ketogenic diets!

Just remember that calories still exist, and you will lose muscle if you don't eat enough. Best of luck to you, and good on ya for being open minded :thumb:

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Why either or though?

We're built to be omnivores. We eat both.

Living off of purely plants seems as odd as living off of purely meat.

Moderation perhaps is key over extremism
This.

However we got here, or developed into what we are today, I see that we do have the ability to survive on *whatever* types of foodstuffs we could forage and eat, that didn't actually kill us outright.

I know our species survived as foragers during our early Neolithic era, before the advent of plant and animal husbandry... and that at the time acquisition of foodstuffs was literally a "catch as catch can" type of proposition. But we survived anyway... for a while.

Earlier in the thread, I saw a couple of apparent vegan types coming forth to say they've caught flak for having decided to live as such. But IRL, I never gave any vegan a hard time about his or her choices, for the simple reason that it's none of my business AND because I maintain a healthy indifference towards other humans whose activities do not impact on me personally to begin with.

IRL, nobody has come along to lecture me about me being omnivorous, probably because nobody much could give a rat's ass what some long-haired geezer such as myself is doing to begin with-- and there's no telling what my reaction would be... but it might be, uhm, memorable... :laugh2:

About the only time or place I've found myself subject to lectures or scoffing of any type is on the Internet, where mouthy ideologues of every stripe go to run their angry bazoo with what they feel to be impunity. Like, you can't harm them physically-- and so they feel safe doing so.

I ignore all that, and am likewise unperturbed by everything else that people who presume to "know better" have got to say about things of this nature-- especially when I see their thesis full of faulty notions, some brand of self-aggrandizing "morality", and the inevitable castigation that mouthy dimwits tend to trowel on while at a safe distance.

Meh. If you can't actually make me live as you decree I should live, you're not going to be effective in persuading me to do so without sound logic and proof that is more cogent than your personal declarations. You're just another effete blowhard without that, and a joke to me.

Health warnings and scare tactics are likewise useless. First of all, I'm getting old and accept the fact that I'm gonna die in the end no matter what. It is also the case that I've seen others who lived according to this or that discipline, but who croaked anyway, while here I am still am-- still alive and happy many years later.

I also ignore all spiritualists, with their ancient texts full of supposed commandments not to eat this or that or you're in hot water with some non-human entity who is allegedly calling the shots. I have always noticed that the only beings who saw fit to try and enforce these declarations were other human beings, which greatly invalidates the allegedly sacrosanct nature of such dicta to begin with.

--R

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
And Rob now delivers Dave's new Quote of the Week:

About the only time or place I've found myself subject to lectures or scoffing of any type is on the Internet, where mouthy ideologues of every stripe go to run their angry bazoo with what they feel to be impunity.
If I find something, some statement that I feel should be shared beyond the original thread it was posted in, be it truth, fame, funny or even on the ridiculous side, I'll be putting it in my sig as my new "quote of note" for all to enjoy.

In Rob's case, it's the truth.

VerbalPuke

Reaction score
I was reading this thread thinking "Yeah, I've never ever met a vegan that talks about being a vegan".

Until today.

I'm in TAPS which is a thing military folks that have separated will know of. Anyway, I'm eating lunch in this conference room and the news is on. It's just me and this other fellow eating. So there is this story about depression on the news and the guy says "You know what I would do" (oh please tell me, I was desperately waiting to hear your opinion on this). "I would put them on a vegan diet because the animal hormones are transferred to meat eaters and blah blah whatever", meanwhile I'm chowing down on some chicken.

He was alright though, he split a mango with me. An organic mango.

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Reaction score
I was reading this thread thinking "Yeah, I've never ever met a vegan that talks about being a vegan".

Until today.

I'm in TAPS which is a thing military folks that have separated will know of. Anyway, I'm eating lunch in this conference room and the news is on. It's just me and this other fellow eating. So there is this story about depression on the news and the guy says "You know what I would do" (oh please tell me, I was desperately waiting to hear your opinion on this). "I would put them on a vegan diet because the animal hormones are transferred to meat eaters and blah blah whatever", meanwhile I'm chowing down on some chicken.

He was alright though, he split a mango with me. An organic mango.
Clearly, your lucky day....

:D

Latest Threads