If is was MIC instead of Nashville how much would you pay?

lunchbox

Reaction score
I would not pay any more than I would for an Epi.

Guitpicky

Reaction score
This pointless troll thread should just die

The market not the maker determines prices

Gibsons ARE made in America

If you don't like the price, don't buy it.

Don't expect a bunch of whining, complaining and useless conjecture to change anything :)

Slater529

Senior Citizen
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would never buy a MIC Gibson regardless of price. But that's just me...

DADF#AD

Reaction score
If I was ever going to buy new LP type guitar I would probably buy a new Japanese-made Tokai LS-1. I miss my 82 LS120 & would likely buy another late 70s-early 80s Love Rock or Reborn before a new Gibson. That said, I truly believe that the 2013 -16 CS LPs were the best made Gibsons ever but also best playing & sounding too. I'm absolutely happy w/my 2013 Wildwood spec R9 as it has truly cured my LP gas. I'm still kind of on a strat tear though

Last edited:

Juanjay24

Reaction score
I'd try one out I mean especially if all the doom and gloom happens that has been reported I would be a little curious. I have had MIJ and MIM Fenders so I would try a MIC "Gibson" if it came to that and the price point was decent. That is not to say I wouldn't prefer a MIA Gibson but I do prefer MIJ and MIM Fenders so who the heck knows?

Guitpicky

Reaction score
It may have escaped your notice, but we are the market.
A lot of things escape my notice :)

By "we" did you mean you, the handful of people in this thread, or the actual market?

Competitive capitalism means that every manufacturer charges what the market will bear. The market is made up of sellers charging what they can get away with and buyers paying what they can afford. Consumers paying more than they can afford by over extending their credit drives up prices more than any other single factor.

When wishful thinking, whining, and pointless conjecture become forms of currency you might have a point :)

Last edited:

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
A lot of things escape my notice :)

By "we" did you mean you, the handful of people in this thread, or the actual market?

Competitive capitalism means that every manufacturer charges what the market will bear. The market is made up of sellers charging what they can get away with and buyers paying what they can afford. Consumers paying more than they can afford by over extending their credit drives up prices more than any other single factor.

When wishful thinking, whining, and pointless conjecture become forms of currency you might have a point :)
Obviously we're not the entire market ... but woe betide the businessman who ignores market complaints. Given the straits Gibson finds itself in currently, I'm comfortable standing by what I've written. :thumbs:

Guitpicky

Reaction score
Obviously we're not the entire market ... but woe betide the businessman who ignores market complaints. Given the straits Gibson finds itself in currently, I'm comfortable standing by what I've written. :thumbs:
You should be, you wrote it :)

I'm not disagreeing with you, but there are always going to be complaints by those who just like to complain. It's a bit skewed to assume they are the majority just because they scream the loudest.

Do you personally change your behavior with every complaint? I haven't met anyone who does. Sometimes it's a legitimate complaint and other times it's just unwarranted bitching. I even ignore my own complaining half the time for the same reason.

Nice diversion by the way :)

Last edited:

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
You should be, you wrote it :)

I'm not disagreeing with you, but there are always going to be complaints by those who just like to complain. It's a bit skewed to assume they are the majority just because they scream the loudest.
Well, I wasn't assuming they -- or I -- were any majority.

Do you personally change your behavior with every complaint? I haven't met anyone who does. Sometimes it's a legitimate complaint and other times it's just unwarranted bitching. I even ignore my own complaining half the time for the same reason.
No. What I do is listen to the complaint, adjudge for myself whether or not it's apt, and if it is, I do indeed take action on it in order to avoid hurting people I care for, or even myself. Perhaps a clear delineation between "legitimate" and "unwarranted" is called-for?

Nice diversion by the way :)
No diversion, just discussion, bud.

Guitpicky

Reaction score
Well, I wasn't assuming they -- or I -- were any majority.

No. What I do is listen to the complaint, adjudge for myself whether or not it's apt, and if it is, I do indeed take action on it in order to avoid hurting people I care for, or even myself. Perhaps a clear delineation between "legitimate" and "unwarranted" is called-for?

No diversion, just discussion, bud.
You mad bro?

Tanqueray

Reaction score
Didn't read through the entire thread, but I'll answer the original question.

If the guitar is made with the same specs, same materials, and same quality as the guitars being made in Nashville, and the price was reasonable (adjusted down to account for lower materials and labor costs), I would have no issue buying one. I buy a guitar based on how it looks, feels, and sounds. I couldn't care less where it was made or who it was made by so long as it feels, looks, and sounds right to me.

Why pay an extra $1000 or more just to have "Made in the USA" stamped on the back of the headstock if there is a cheaper alternative that is just as good?

wildhawk1

Reaction score
Didn't read through the entire thread, but I'll answer the original question.

If the guitar is made with the same specs, same materials, and same quality as the guitars being made in Nashville, and the price was reasonable (adjusted down to account for lower materials and labor costs), I would have no issue buying one. I buy a guitar based on how it looks, feels, and sounds. I couldn't care less where it was made or who it was made by so long as it feels, looks, and sounds right to me.

Why pay an extra $1000 or more just to have "Made in the USA" stamped on the back of the headstock if there is a cheaper alternative that is just as good?
This ^^^

Robert Arthur

Reaction score
Using this cornerstone product in the link below and the ONLY difference would be production in Gibson's China factory instead of Nashville how much would you be willing to pay?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/gibson-les-paul-studio

Plenty of financial woe stories about Gibson lately.

The offshore guitars are cheap mentality died years ago.

IMHO if Gibson kept a small custom shop in Nashville and moved production to the factory they own in China their unit sales and profit would increase substantially.

Again the overseas stigma is gone.

In the link above $1600 for a MIA Studio has a very small potential market.

$800 I have to believe they would get tons of buyers.
It's not gone. It's even stronger in my mind, as none of their Chinese products have performed at a level to erase that thinking. Even the best Chinese Les Paul ever made (1960v3) is just another guitar with a poly finish, veneer, multi-piece body, etc.

Latest Threads