If I Could Change One Law...

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
It's not as simple as corporations are good/evil or gov't is good/evil. But, you can avoid doing business with a corporation, you can't avoid the gov't. You can sue a corporation and win, it's exceedingly difficult to sue the gov't (where they allow themselves to be sued) and the gov't has an unlimited supply of other people's money to fight you...the gov't also has the power of a military and a federal police force to make you submit.

A corporation that doesn't provide what it's customer's want, won't last long. Some other corporation will come along and sell better service or goods for a lower price or better service. The market works like that. Monopolies can only exist with the help of gov't or by being better than any other corporation at delivering services and goods.

Gov't should only be big enough to function under it's enumerated powers. Gov't should only be able to collect enough taxes to pay for it's legitimate constitutional purposes. The corruption we have now is the fault of a gov't grown too big and too powerful and unrestrained by it's constitutional limits.

HeartString

>>>RSIYH<<<
Reaction score
I will stick to my opinion. Billionaires and corporations are currently in a position to place whatever politicians they want, to bribe them, and control them. They buy them. To insist otherwise is just wrong. Also, if you want to look at manipulation, look at the Fed, and interest rates, and regulations that provide convenient loopholes for the biggest "donors". There are plenty of areas where there is government control, and while some is good or necessary, I like to know who ELSE is benefiting from it - or from a lack of it.

I just don't buy into the "gov=bad but corporation=good". It's simplistic and wrong. Tax or no tax, the powerful will continue to buy politicians, and so increase their own wealth and power regardless.

What we have now, is totally corrupt.

+1

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
BTW, in the last Presidential election, the candidate with the most money spent and the largest donors/donor base...lost. In fact, many candidates for federal offices won, in spite of the fact that they spent less and had less to spend. It's not a fact that money always wins.

LtDave32

I'm walkin' on sunshine
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
And the second law I'd change (since I couldn't bundle them. see above), would be that the media had to base reporting on facts only and gets increasingly fined for every wrong push without collecting all the facts. AND make the fines go exponential if used in a weaponized political sort of way.

That could help with the non-stop diarrhea floods.
I understand the sentiment but we're not going there

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Drunk driving and driving while fcking with your cell phone means you lose your license.

Get caught driving again when your license has been taken away for drunk/distracted driving means immediate jail time. Mandatory minimums.

(lots of good suggestions and ideas so far. But the distracted/drunk driving thing getting a slap on the wrist, sucks.)

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
They made it illegal down here to text or talk on the phone while driving. You can still use a hands free device to talk while driving. They don't enforce the law very much at all though. BTW, it should be illegal to put on makeup or eat while driving as well.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Drunk driving and driving while fcking with your cell phone means you lose your license.

Get caught driving again when your license has been taken away for drunk/distracted driving means immediate jail time. Mandatory minimums.

(lots of good suggestions and ideas so far. But the distracted/drunk driving thing getting a slap on the wrist, sucks.)

I still like your idea from a couple weeks ago of smashing their damned phone.

E1WOOD5150

Purveyor of Joke Grenades
Reaction score
Term limits makes a lot of sense.

I think I might change the law outlawing lobbying. Industry should not be able to influence legislature for their benefit. This is why big pharma, the NRA, the tobacco industry, the petroleum industry, the chemical industry and so many other industries basically own and run our government.

The idea that the federal legislature should have to abide by the same laws they pass for the rank and file entertains me a great deal.

After saying all that, if I were in charge, the FIRST thing I would do would be to have waterboarding stations installed on the medians of the interstate highway system (every 1/4 mile), begin having the PIT maneuver taught in drivers education, and allowing it to be used in order to combat the national nightmare of the millions of assholes who do not/will not move to the right, out of the fast lane, when approached by faster moving traffic. There is no greater crime in this country than keeping someone from getting to their destination.

MSB

Banned
Reaction score

not sure about you guys, but drunk driving is no slap on the wrist here, assuming you actually follow the rules. Now the texting, its pathetic, the first year the law was active here they wrote 1, ONE ticket, and its been proven to be as or more dangerous than drunk driving. I can go to the grocery store a mile away and easily see at least one person lost on their phone. We can go to the moon 50 years ago, but we can't figure this out? I'm all for natural selection, but not at the expense of my family.

penguinchit

Reaction score
I'd reform welfare so it's impossible to obtain if you're a lazy piece of crap who doesn't want to try and parts of the law would include mandatory sterilization and expulsion from the country if you try to worm around the law. Basically, if you have a true need for welfare, it's there and if you don't but want it, GTFO.

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
I'd end the Federal Reserve or make motorcycle lane splitting legal in all 50 states.

Both would have great effects on the economy.

Ermghoti

Reaction score
If you slow to look at an accident, or maintain a reduced speed as/after you pass to crane around and catch glimpse of bent sheet metal, your license is immediately revoked for life, and their vehicle confiscated. Any citizen is free to send in a photo, and upon receipt by the authorities, the driving privileges of the subject will immediately and permanently be forfeit.

Latest Threads