Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
english-traditional-english-simplified-dnotiv-oh-ashotsfired-1629366.png
That sums it up. YMMV.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Taxes must be prominently displayed at the point where they are collected.. and itemized.

A good example is gas pumps.

WaywerdSon

Reaction score

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
I'll go further. I would completely exterminate "Citizens United" and set strict limits as to the amounts - harshly enforced and punished. What we have now is just a system of bribery.

Exactly the point of my two posts in this thread, yep. Redress the balance of power in order to remove the corrupting influence of money.

Not that it'll ever happen.

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
One law?? Unquestionably the 16th Amendment to the Constitution. That amendment is the root of everything that we now find objectionable about government. Take away the ability to levy taxes by Congress, and suddenly all the malfeasance stops. No money=no corruption.

https://constitutioncenter.org/interactive-constitution/amendments/amendment-xvi
No.

We still would have to overhaul all the laws controlling elections and "contributions", and close the revolving door. Any congresscritter caught voting or creating bills to benefit himself or his cronies or using knowledge of upcoming congressional "activity" to do a little insider trading, should go to prison.
The same laws against conflict of interest and revolving doors and insider trading and emoluments should hold for them, and presidents, and high ranking military officers. THAT is where all the malfeasance is. This is the shit they line their pockets with, not taxes. Taxes are too closely watched and are a deliberate misdirection.

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
Lobbying has been a part of politics since before the United States was formed. It's a form of free speech. The Supreme Court has ruled that political donations amount to free speech...it's irrelevant as to whether the money comes from individuals or groups of people. It's neither the lobbying nor the contributions that are evil, it's what the politicians do for the lobbyists or the money that's evil. I don't want to see restrictions placed on people or corporations (which are simply groups of people formed together for a specific purpose). I want restrictions placed on gov't, which is supposed to be restricted to it's enumerated powers.

Now, I agree that politicians should have to follow all of the laws they pass, and that politicians should not be able to enrich themselves at the public trough or via insider information. I also agree that politicians and their staff should be barred from lobbying after they leave their political positions (in fact I made a thread about it a couple of weeks ago that was immediately closed).

Taxes are one of the major problems. Under our current system, politicians unbound by their rightful constitutional limitations...use tax money to buy votes and constituencies...who's not going to vote for the politician promising goodies bought with other people's money? With less than half of the people paying income taxes, you have people with no skin in the game voting for stuff that won't cost them anything. There's also the old adage, which happens to be true...that when you tax something you get less of it and when you subsidize something you tend to get more of it. Taxes also have unintended economic consequences and they force people to behave in ways they wouldn't otherwise.

The 16th amendment provides politicians with a nearly unlimited supply of other people's money that they can use for all sorts of extra-constitutional purposes. The 17th amendment removes the States from the power base and allows money and power to be concentrated in DC instead of out in the states where it belongs. Under the Constitution, prior to the 17th amendment, Senators were appointed by state legislators and they represented the states. Now, with direct election of Senators, they represent themselves, their parties and DC.

WaywerdSon

Reaction score
No.

We still would have to overhaul all the laws controlling elections and "contributions", and close the revolving door. Any congresscritter caught voting or creating bills to benefit himself or his cronies or using knowledge of upcoming congressional "activity" to do a little insider trading, should go to prison.
The same laws against conflict of interest and revolving doors and insider trading and emoluments should hold for them, and presidents, and high ranking military officers. THAT is where all the malfeasance is. This is the shit they line their pockets with, not taxes. Taxes are too closely watched and are a deliberate misdirection.
Not exactly what I was saying. The ability of government to control such a large amount of the economy in the private sector by manipulation of tax law didn't exist until the passage of the 16th, or at least not to anything close to the extent. There is a reason the tax code is a book the size of a coffee table. If that does't exist, corporations and wealthy individuals will be far less interested in contributing large sums of money to political campaigns

EasyAce

Reaction score
I'd only begin with one new law: No law passed by any state legislature or Congress and/or signed by any governor or president shall be considered
legal and binding until or unless every member of those legislatures and Congress and the governors and president can
prove that they've read it
at least once.

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I will stick to my opinion. Billionaires and corporations are currently in a position to place whatever politicians they want, to bribe them, and control them. They buy them. To insist otherwise is just wrong. Also, if you want to look at manipulation, look at the Fed, and interest rates, and regulations that provide convenient loopholes for the biggest "donors". There are plenty of areas where there is government control, and while some is good or necessary, I like to know who ELSE is benefiting from it - or from a lack of it.

I just don't buy into the "gov=bad but corporation=good". It's simplistic and wrong. Tax or no tax, the powerful will continue to buy politicians, and so increase their own wealth and power regardless.

What we have now, is totally corrupt.

Latest Threads