Identifying a Standard 82 and it’s worth

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 550133

The Gibson logo on a Leo’s has the closed “b” and “o” with a high dot above the “i,” and the “Les Paul Model” is usually higher on the headstock than on the Guitar Trader Les Paul. The backplates for the control cavity and switch are black. These guitars are of medium weight, play very well, have excellent fit and finish, and great tone. Leos can be easily identified because the first digit of their serial number is an L.

Headstock and other deets here:

https://guitarpoint.de/en/product/1983-gibson-les-paul-1959-standard-leos-reissue/
I can vouch for the "Les Paul model" script.....it is located closer to the Gibson MOP logo than any other re-issue model and way closer than an original '59 Standard....in fact mine was darn near touching it.

With the "Leo" being what it is,...it is a fine guitar. Though with all the early incarnations or attempts to replicate an original '59 Standard during the late '70s and early '80s....none really met the mark. It's amazing how different they were to each other....and at the same time manufactured by the same company.

The "Leo" wasn't even the closest of the bunch.

I think what really made these stand out was the finishes and the awesome Shaw pickups.

Other than the one piece hog neck,...the one piece hog body.... center seam figured maple cap....and the ABR-1 bridge.....Everything from the neck joint, headstock shape, and all other appointments were wrong.

Like with all Gibsons it really comes down to each instrument as a individual. There great ones and poor ones.

Greco

Reaction score
Update: I decided to reach out to Gibson and see if they could verify the guitar. Photos and details were sent to their customer service line. This morning, I received a response. They have confirmed it is a 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard made in Kalamazoo, MI. Thanks everyone!

Greco

Reaction score
But not a Standard 82.
Yes but as this thread has already discussed, it was not a Standard 82, something I have not chosen to show Gibson in the email. Like everyone has said, this is a special order Pre-reissue. I don’t know who ordered it or if a store did but that is most likely the case.

Greco

Reaction score
what "pre-reissue" did everyone say it was?
According to the specs and the Gibson headstock logo, its similar to the Leo's Music run of Les Pauls. However, its not from that run cause its missing serial numbers near the pickup rings.

Greco

Reaction score
I think it is a made for the Japanese market 1982 Les Paul Standard.
I honestly don't know at this point as I know in 82 they were still using maple necks and multi-piece construction. Anyway, I have some trouble looking at the finish condition on certain parts of the guitar. I asked for some additional picture and I'll post em here. I mainly am concerned about the finish on the maple top and how play wear is there. Hope people can once again chime in and provide some information.

Attachments

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
no sir. in 82 they went to hog necks (we stated this earlier in the thread) and they have always used multi-piece construction, since right after they brought he LP back from it's hiatus.

Latest Threads