Identifying a Standard 82 and it’s worth

Greco

Reaction score
Funny thing about that ‘83 Standard... it sounded beautiful with the covered Shaw’s..... my Leo on the other hand did not.... I uncovered the bridge pup and still didn’t help.... I replaced it with a custom ordered hand wound pup from Seymour Duncan himself... he said it was a ‘59 prototype.... but it delivered the same tone the Standard did.

The neck was very thin on the ‘83 like my Customs..... the Leo was a fatty which is what swung me and that direction and what eventually moved me to sell the ‘83 Standard. I kept the Customs....a ‘78 and a ‘79 (the ‘79 my nephew has now)... because I had them longer. After that all my Les Pauls had to have a thicker neck.
I apparently have a good friend as a pickup winder in Singapore, because he said he would send me a pickup set and all I’d have to do is pay for shipping. He took apart a real PAF to study them and as such created an amazing set.

Vintager

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I know everytime I come to this side of the forum, it’s always about. A guitar I found on reverb. This time is no different but this guitar caught my eye.

Hey Greco, which country/continent are you based? Whilst lefty Gibsons are rare, some do pop up from time to time. Personally, I'd stay away from any funky or special run models and would focus on standard production guitars possibly stock. There are at least two nice 70s LPs in Europe which can be bought, the US market being even more accessible. As regards Jap market, I do ignore it so no idea on the situation there with guitars and prices

Last edited:

Greco

Reaction score
Hey Greco, which country/continent are you based? Whilst lefty Gibsons are rare, some do pop up from time to time. Personally, I'd stay away from any funky or special run models and would focus on standard production guitars possibly stock. There are at least two nice 70s LPs in Europe which can be bought, the US market being even more accessible. As regards Jap market, I do ignore it so no idea on the situation there with guitars and prices
I’m from the USA. Here is my thing though, I don’t need a normal 70s LP as my Greco Les Paul already is 70s specs. I’m looking for something closer to burst specs but wanna stay away from newer Gibson’s.

Vintager

Reaction score
I’m from the USA. Here is my thing though, I don’t need a normal 70s LP as my Greco Les Paul already is 70s specs. I’m looking for something closer to burst specs but wanna stay away from newer Gibson’s.
You have basically this equation: vintage + lefty + burst specs.

And tbh, you have to take one thing out of the equation I'm afraid, unless you are ok with a plain top, that would work.

The new CSs are really great guitars.

Greco

Reaction score
You have basically this equation: vintage + lefty + burst specs.

And tbh, you have to take one thing out of the equation I'm afraid, unless you are ok with a plain top, that would work.

The new CSs are really great guitars.
Oh don’t get me wrong, I love the new ones, it’s just for me, I don’t want something perfected. I want something that’s an oddball that Gibson made. If I wanted custom shop, I’d be doing the made to measure program that they offer. For me though, it’s having an oddball. If they had made a The Les Paul left handed, I’d get one. I want this one because it’s such an oddball guitar to me in the sense it’s inbetween the non reissue run. Plus I wanna try a Kalamazoo lefty. Also, I know I’m limiting myself because I’m using reverb. I don’t like eBay and I haven’t tried the classifieds.

Vintager

Reaction score
Oh don’t get me wrong, I love the new ones, it’s just for me, I don’t want something perfected. I want something that’s an oddball that Gibson made. If I wanted custom shop, I’d be doing the made to measure program that they offer. For me though, it’s having an oddball. If they had made a The Les Paul left handed, I’d get one. I want this one because it’s such an oddball guitar to me in the sense it’s inbetween the non reissue run. Plus I wanna try a Kalamazoo lefty. Also, I know I’m limiting myself because I’m using reverb. I don’t like eBay and I haven’t tried the classifieds.
As a lefty, I perfectly understand you. I am not aware of any lefty special runs from basically any period of time. They would only do standard production and only after collecting more than 3 or more orders back in the 70s. The 80s, I am not sure, but I think they would still be doing only standard production and only the most prominent models. I don't recollect them making anything else than LP, ES and SG. I have never seen a recording/personal for instance (except for japanese knockoffs). I did see a lefty invader though. I have a lefty 73 custom BB, great guitar.

My best oddball guitar ever which I stupidly sold was a Van Nuys era Schecter. It got into good hands if nothing else. It had the best in-betweens I have ever had plus it could literally take any amount of gain or fuzz and still have a clear and focused sound.

Greco

Reaction score
Or it was a special order as a lefty in itself...:dunno:

It's been documented that Gibson did many one off's and customer orders during this period right before the close of Kalamazoo, and my sources say that they see many requests from folks for ID help on all sorts of stuff from this period.

I'm not saying it's not a legit Gibson... it is.. Just what I don't know for certainty. Only that it has many similarities to models made during that period, but it is NOT a 'Standard 82 model'.
Hey I wanted to update you as I got a few more images of the control cavity and three way switch cavity. I also got two more of the back of the headstock. Wanted to ask if this all looks correct as well. One pot was changed.

Attachments

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
Hey I wanted to update you as I got a few more images of the control cavity and three way switch cavity. I also got two more of the back of the headstock. Wanted to ask if this all looks correct as well. One pot was changed.
That looks to be quite correct for an 82 standard.

It has the round drilled wiring channel and large round opening for the jack can like mine.

Metal plate, caps, wiring all look correct.

Any chance of seeing the back plates on the pickups? Then we could also confirm if it has Shaws.

Seems legit for an 82 Standard except for the Hog neck. Could be a special order lefty with hog neck.
That's not out of the question for something Gibson might do.

I've posted examples of Gibson swapping hog necks onto non - Elite Heritage models just because they were handy and they had run out of Maple necks. @Caretaker has or had one.

Gibson was open to that kind of stuff back then.

Greco

Reaction score
That looks to be quite correct for an 82 standard.

It has the round drilled wiring channel and large round opening for the jack can like mine.

Metal plate, caps, wiring all look correct.

Any chance of seeing the back plates on the pickups? Then we could also confirm if it has Shaws.

Seems legit for an 82 Standard except for the Hog neck. Could be a special order lefty with hog neck.
That's not out of the question for something Gibson might do.

I've posted examples of Gibson swapping hog necks onto non - Elite Heritage models just because they were handy and they had run out of Maple necks. @Caretaker has or had one.

Gibson was open to that kind of stuff back then.
Pickups aren’t going to help. The pickups currently in the guitar now are 57 Classics. The guitar also has a replaced tailpiece, nut and has had a re fret. Any hopes of using that for further identification is now out the window. What if there is a way to check the mahogany body? Were the 82 standards 1 piece bodies or were there multiple pieces? Would that be another way to tell? Also, that doesn’t explain the two piece maple cap and mahogany body. Shouldn’t it still have a pancake body?

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pickups aren’t going to help. The pickups currently in the guitar now are 57 Classics. The guitar also has a replaced tailpiece, nut and has had a re fret. Any hopes of using that for further identification is now out the window. What if there is a way to check the mahogany body? Were the 82 standards 1 piece bodies or were there multiple pieces? Would that be another way to tell? Also, that doesn’t explain the two piece maple cap and mahogany body. Shouldn’t it still have a pancake body?
By mid 1977 pancake bodies were out and 1 piece backs were in. That would include 1982. Maple tops on the other hand were mostly 3 piece on Standards,...and most of those would have only mild to no flame.

Center seam with full flame were only for the upper class models and special orders....as was the 1 piece hog necks.

Another thing to look for is that necks with the volute had the 14 degree headstock angle and those using "original" '50s design would use no volute and have a 17 degree headstock angle like Leo's and other pre-historics.

The 1982 Standard would have a 14 degree angle.

Last edited:

Roxy13

Reaction score
Ishibashi posted a left handed R9 today that was quite good looking. Just thought I'd let you know.

Greco

Reaction score
Ishibashi posted a left handed R9 today that was quite good looking. Just thought I'd let you know.
Just checked, it’s nice but with all due respect I really want that odd ball guitar. Best era is 70s-80s and I’m not gonna be able to buy the conversion lefty Les Paul on reverb lol.

Roxy13

Reaction score

Greco

Reaction score
By mid 1977 pancake bodies were out and 1 piece backs were in. That would include 1982. Maple tops on the other hand were mostly 3 piece on Standards,...and most of those would have only mild to no flame.

Center seam with full flame were only for the upper class models and special orders....as was the 1 piece hog necks.

Another thing to look for is that necks with the volute had the 14 degree headstock angle and those using "original" '50s design would use no volute and have a 17 degree headstock angle like Leo's and other pre-historics.

The 1982 Standard would have a 14 degree angle.
This one doesn’t have a volute it seems. Possible 17 degree angle? No offense but I keep asking TC Gakki questions and I’m afraid I’m gonna piss em off (don’t think I would but some sellers are short tempered)

Greco

Reaction score
It’s a very nice guitar!

Greco

Reaction score
Just FYI... I found a real Standard 82 for sale..

Kalamazoo made, TRC intact etc.

This should give you a closer idea of what a real one goes for and looks like.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265233140781?hash=item3dc1208c2d:g:T0MAAOSwootg8j7w
View attachment 550071
View attachment 550077
Yeah that’s completely different. Logo on this does look similar to the one I’m looking at but slightly different. Anyone have a headstock logo of the Leo LP run for comparison? I still want it but the missing Made in USA thing is irritating cause it did happen but not often. So I have no idea if it was because it was lefty.

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
1626610199019.png

The Gibson logo on a Leo’s has the closed “b” and “o” with a high dot above the “i,” and the “Les Paul Model” is usually higher on the headstock than on the Guitar Trader Les Paul. The backplates for the control cavity and switch are black. These guitars are of medium weight, play very well, have excellent fit and finish, and great tone. Leos can be easily identified because the first digit of their serial number is an L.

Headstock and other deets here:

https://guitarpoint.de/en/product/1983-gibson-les-paul-1959-standard-leos-reissue/

Latest Threads