Identifying a Standard 82 and it’s worth

Greco

Reaction score
NOPE! It may be an 82 Standard, but is not a Standard 82 model from Kalamazoo.

Wrong or altered on multiple points.

Wrong top - not quilted

Should not have burst - honey or natural

Wrong CC cover - not brown

Wrong TRC

Wrong Bridge

No 'Made in USA' stamp

Wrong tuners

Wrong pickup screws - not phillips

And a re-fret - no nibs

View attachment 546052

Standard 82 Les Paul

SMALL-02C

The Les Paul Standard 82 was made in Kalamazoo. The folklore surrounding this guitar is that the luthiers in Kalamazoo wanted to show the luthiers in Nashville how to make a “real” limited edition LP reissue that was of high quality and closer to vintage specs. This guitar has the thin binding in the cutaway, ABR-1 bridge, narrow headstock, brown backplates for the control cavity and switch, large tortoiseshell side dot markers, “Made in USA” stamp on the back of the headstock, and tulip style Grovers. The example here weighs 10 pounds. The Standard 82s have a truss rod cover that says “Standard 82” on them, breathtaking quilted tops, in natural or honeyburst.
If that’s the case, what is this guitar? Serial number says it’s a Kalamazoo guitar so it’s gotta be something right? If anything this raises more questions. Plus could any of this be possible if it’s a left handed one? Should I ask for more pictures of the back of the headstock to see if the angle in the current shot does not show the made in the USA stamp? TC Gakki has another 82 standard it seems but it looks like it’s an 81 that was sent back to the factory? This is raising more questions than I anticipated.

EDIT: checking the Gibson serial number decoder and while it’s a Kalamazoo guitar, it says something else. I don’t know how but it seems like it also tracked the the acoustic plant. Acoustic: Bozeman, Montana was the second result given after Kalamazoo. Googling this led me to Gibson Acoustic in Bozeman, Montana. I’ve never seen the serial tracked to a second plant before in the Gibson Decoder. Also another thought came to mind. What if the guitar was refinished or had a headstock break? Would a refinish only allow them to re-stamp the serial number but not the made in the USA stamp?

Last edited:

ARandall

Reaction score
^ Some of the 70's sticker serial numbers double date to both earlier or later by considerable times.

The takeaway is that serial number websites are generally useless, unless you know so much about serial numbers and Gibson guitars that the info is pointless in the first place as you've already figured out what you have.

Greco

Reaction score
^ Some of the 70's sticker serial numbers double date to both earlier or later by considerable times.

The takeaway is that serial number websites are generally useless, unless you know so much about serial numbers and Gibson guitars that the info is pointless in the first place as you've already figured out what you have.
The serial number dates to the 80s but I would like to see the pickup cavities. Apparently, throughout the early 80s there were one off pre-reissue guitars. Is it possible this is one of them? I don’t think I can ask for cavity photos, but I asked for the electronics cavity and switch. Hopefully there is info we can use. But what isn’t explained is the lack of a Made in USA stamp. That’s my worry.

ARandall

Reaction score
There were a few guitars that got out without the Made In USA stamp here and there. Its not like its authenticity overall is in doubt here. You just need to know the model.....and the presence of that stamp isn't going to make or break that aspect either. So its really a non-aspect if you're talking ID.

Greco

Reaction score
There were a few guitars that got out without the Made In USA stamp here and there. Its not like its authenticity overall is in doubt here. You just need to know the model.....and the presence of that stamp isn't going to make or break that aspect either. So its really a non-aspect if you're talking ID.
I’d like to have a best price estimate. Right now I think everyone is settling on 3k, but that even now is in question because the PAFs have been replaced which is a huge factor in price. I’m almost positive frets have been done, nut been replaced, bridge is replaced, and the tailpiece is replaced. It’s higher than $2,500 for sure but idk if it’s 3k.

I would certainly like to do an ABR conversion kit for the bridge and probably a pickup swap. I’m not a fan of stock Gibson humbuckers, and I have some options.

Last edited:

ARandall

Reaction score
As we're both aware, LH can add anything from 15-25% to the price depending on the model. I don't even know if the precise model is important here to the valuation. I know my Norlin Deluxe and Custom were about $800-$1000 above RH models of the same era a few years back. And that was with replaced pickups and some hardware in both cases.
I don't think somewhere between $2500 and 3k is unreasonable for LH from a non USA location - if it is indeed the 'Standard 82' then its maybe more worth it (if only to put back to original).
The one caveat with my purchases is that the replacement pickups were more valuable than what it cost to buy originals to put back in.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Real 82 Standard.... funky bridge, phillips screws and all! :laugh2:

A 1982 Standard has 3 piece maple top like this one you got here Darrell,... and a 3 piece maple neck.

What the OP is looking at has a 1 piece hog neck and a 2 piece highly figured top.... again it is more closely related to a Heritage 80 than a 82 Standard. Parts are parts...;)

Being that this was a build for the Japanese market or dealer (as the headstock decal would imply)...like nearly half of the “Leo’s” were,... I would suspect it’s a run-off of that model as the Leo’s were limited,... and this was built with Standard parts to distinguish it from the other.... however the finish is the most desirable in the Japan market. Especially in the early 80s.

I would suspect a special order (being left handed).. with whatever model name to distinguish a difference from the other dealer models.

Remember this is the Norlin period and crazier shit has happened..... this is still a kind of rare bird regardless of its official model name.

Again it must be noted that none of these early reissue “style” creations were ever close to the original late 50s standards.... a 1 piece hog neck and body with a 2 piece center seam maple top with an ABR-1 isn’t close enough when everything else is way off the mark.... that includes the Guitar Trader, Leo’s, Strings and Things,..., and all the others produced in the early 80s.

Last edited:

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
This is not a regular 1982 Les Paul Standard.

I also do not think it is a Standard 82.

This was clearly made for the Japanese market (not the first sticker I have seen), so it could be most anything.

nice catch on the screws, I did not notice......TBH, I really have not looked at this hard to begin with.

Don't forget Hog necks came back in 1982 (I am pretty sure they came back as 1 piece and not 3 piece.) and volutes left, so that is no real indicator here.

Last edited:

Greco

Reaction score
A 1982 Standard has 3 piece maple top like this one you got here Darrell,... and a 3 piece maple neck.

What the OP is looking at has a 1 piece hog neck and a 2 piece highly figured top.... again it is more closely related to a Heritage 80 than a 82 Standard. Parts are parts...;)

Being that this was a build for the Japanese market or dealer (as the headstock decal would imply)...like nearly half of the “Leo’s” were,... I would suspect it’s a run-off of that model as the Leo’s were limited,... and this was built with Standard parts to distinguish it from the other.... however the finish is the most desirable in the Japan market. Especially in the early 80s.

I would suspect a special order (being left handed).. with whatever model name to distinguish a difference from the other dealer models.

Remember this is the Norlin period and crazier shit has happened..... this is still a kind of rare bird regardless of its official model name.

Again it must be noted that none of these early reissue “style” creations were ever close to the original late 50s standards.... a 1 piece hog neck and body with a 2 piece center seam maple top with an ABR-1 isn’t close enough when everything else is way off the mark.... that includes the Guitar Trader, Leo’s, Strings and Things,..., and all the others produced in the early 80s.
So we think this was a special order for the Japanese market? That explains the sticker (which for some reason I can’t tell what work is coming before Gibson on it) and probably why there isn’t the sideways Made in the USA stamp that signifies the Kalamazoo plant manufacturing. Is it safe to assume this guitar originally had Shaw PAFs loaded into it? It looks to have aged nicely. But I wonder why it has the standard serial number on the headstock? From what I heard shouldn’t that serial number be in the pickup cavity with a special one on the headstock?

mudface

Boo Bee
Reaction score
This is not a regular 1982 Les Paul Standard.

I also do not think it is a Standard 82.

This was clearly made for the Japanese market (not the first sticker I have seen), so it could be most anything.

nice catch on the screws, I did not notice......TBH, I really have not looked at this hard to begin with.

Don't forget Hog necks came back in 1982 (I am pretty sure they came back as 1 piece and not 3 piece.) and volutes left, so that is no real indicator here.
My 1983 Standard had a 3 piece maple neck with no volute and a 3 piece maple top with Shaws... in a tobacco sunburst.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
I get it....I have owned a 1982 Custom with a 1 piece hog neck and no volute......lol.

Mud have we discussed that Standard?

Have you posted pics before?

I do not remember seeing a maple neck without a volute..........??

never really thought about it until now, but I do not recall one?

mudface

Boo Bee
Reaction score
I get it....I have owned a 1982 Custom with a 1 piece hog neck and no volute......lol.

Mud have we discussed that Standard?

Have you posted pics before?

I do not remember seeing a maple neck without a volute..........??

never really thought about it until now, but I do not recall one?
No.... I sold it back in the 90’s.... but it was my back up to my “Leo” in my clubbing days..... it got a quite of bit of use.... I used both of my Customs at the time too.

I bought it 1984....it had a serial number 83423528....the burst had a dark wide brown band leaving a small teardrop....it had Gibson brand Gotoh or Ping sealed tuners. The maple neck was burst painted just like my Custom SB though the back was just dark brown. Regular Nashville bridge with gold speed knobs. It had brown cavity covers. It also came with the protector chainsaw case with brown lining. I paid $725 out the door from Skips music in Sacramento Ca.

It was similar in color to this but without the Kahler and the brown band was a bit wider

5D27EFE1-2E6B-412E-8495-FA05462578CC.jpeg

And it had this type of tuners.

DD591214-BCB8-4221-BAB9-A21FA91FADB8.jpeg

Last edited:

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
Of course my 82 from Feb also has a 3 piece maple neck. From what I have seen in here the hog came back sooner on the customs, apparently. Maple neck Standards ran till 83.

An ad from a 1983 catalog lists both models with a hog neck.

1624759248946.png

A deluxe from 82 still clearly showing the maple neck.
1624759633755.png

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
To me this is much closer to a Leo's LP of which half are known to have been shipped overseas.

Tuners, CC color, flame top, cherry sunburst finish, reddish back color, thin binding all correspond.

They would have been an authorized instrument for sale overseas as well.

Also the Gibson logo itself fits.

'The Gibson logo on a Leo’s has the closed “b” and “o” with a high dot above the “i,” '

Although they are supposed to have an 'L' in the serial number to distinguish them.

Greco

Reaction score
To me this is much closer to a Leo's LP of which half are known to have been shipped overseas.

Tuners, CC color, flame top, cherry sunburst finish, reddish back color, thin binding all correspond.

They would have been an authorized instrument for sale overseas as well.

Also the Gibson logo itself fits.

'The Gibson logo on a Leo’s has the closed “b” and “o” with a high dot above the “i,” '

Although they are supposed to have an 'L' in the serial number to distinguish them.
Maybe this is a “prototype”? Not saying it is but it looks like maybe something you’d get sent out before making a full run? Why left handed tho?

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
Maybe this is a “prototype”? Not saying it is but it looks like maybe something you’d get sent out before making a full run? Why left handed tho?
Or it was a special order as a lefty in itself...:dunno:

It's been documented that Gibson did many one off's and customer orders during this period right before the close of Kalamazoo, and my sources say that they see many requests from folks for ID help on all sorts of stuff from this period.

I'm not saying it's not a legit Gibson... it is.. Just what I don't know for certainty. Only that it has many similarities to models made during that period, but it is NOT a 'Standard 82 model'.

mudface

Boo Bee
Reaction score
Of course my 82 from Feb also has a 3 piece maple neck. From what I have seen in here the hog came back sooner on the customs, apparently. Maple neck Standards ran till 83.

An ad from a 1983 catalog lists both models with a hog neck.

View attachment 546310

A deluxe from 82 still clearly showing the maple neck.
View attachment 546312
Interesting ad you found there Darrell....

My 1983 was made late in the year and owned it for several years..... three things I can’t forget....it had three piece maple neck that had the tobacco burst on it...... no volute ( like the Deluxe in your pic there).... and a 14 degree headstock angle..... and the ad you have there says a hog neck at 17 degree.... none of which applies to mine.

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
Interesting ad you found there Darrell....

My 1983 was made late in the year and owned it for several years..... three things I can’t forget....it had three piece maple neck that had the tobacco burst on it...... no volute ( like the Deluxe in your pic there).... and a 14 degree headstock angle..... and the ad you have there says a hog neck at 17 degree.... none of which applies to mine.
I've been maintaining that the hog necks were phased in to production around 83 and into 84 and like pickups and such they just used up old stock. I can't find evidence of a quick cutover.

By later 83 when yours was made they may have been more ready to go 'whole hog' :naughty: into the next year, but Norly found a maple laminecker in the parts bin and decided to use it up just for you! :laugh2:

mudface

Boo Bee
Reaction score
I've been maintaining that the hog necks were phased in to production around 83 and into 84 and like pickups and such they just used up old stock. I can't find evidence of a quick cutover.

By later 83 when yours was made they may have been more ready to go 'whole hog' :naughty: into the next year, but Norly found a maple laminecker in the parts bin and decided to use it up just for you! :laugh2:
Funny thing about that ‘83 Standard... it sounded beautiful with the covered Shaw’s..... my Leo on the other hand did not.... I uncovered the bridge pup and still didn’t help.... I replaced it with a custom ordered hand wound pup from Seymour Duncan himself... he said it was a ‘59 prototype.... but it delivered the same tone the Standard did.

The neck was very thin on the ‘83 like my Customs..... the Leo was a fatty which is what swung me and that direction and what eventually moved me to sell the ‘83 Standard. I kept the Customs....a ‘78 and a ‘79 (the ‘79 my nephew has now)... because I had them longer. After that all my Les Pauls had to have a thicker neck.

Latest Threads