Identifying a Standard 82 and it’s worth

Greco

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I know everytime I come to this side of the forum, it’s always about. A guitar I found on reverb. This time is no different but this guitar caught my eye.

According to the seller, this is a Standard 82 Les Paul. I know very little about these guitars except that these were Kalamazoo made guitars. This guitar when I first looked was great, however the changed parts (especially pickups) is what bothers me. I think they are overcharging but I need help on this one. Aside from what the guitar’s worth is, I need to identify it as a Standard 82. I know that there is a serial number but some info I found says there shouldn’t be one on the headstock but instead in the control cavity. Also, I don’t see a made in the USA stamp, but there is a sticker. I need your help guys. You haven’t steered me wrong yet. Hopefully I hear some advice soon. Thanks!

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
I see nothing wrong with the guitar. It's been altered though (frets? addvert says fretboard?)
Just a lot of bullshit in the add and the price is too high.

Greco

Reaction score
I see nothing wrong with the guitar. It's been altered though (frets? addvert says fretboard?)
Just a lot of bullshit in the add and the price is too high.
That’s what I thought. If this guitar was unaltered then the price is accurate but with so many changes I wanna know if I was going to throw an offer into the ring, what’s the best price. Realistically I don’t see this dropping below 2.5k but I gotta know. And yeah I guess they mean frets right? I mean it doesn’t make sense why the entire fretboard was changed

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks correct......the serial is correct in location. It's not a reissue like the "Leo" or "Guitar Trader" models...Which had the serial on the ledge of the control cavity and an inked stamp number on the headstock.... it is simply a Standard that has the same structure/build.....1 piece hog neck.....1 piece hog body and a 2 piece flamed maple cap.

It doesn't have the old style pressed in bushing Kluson tuners or a ABR-1 bridge....(it has a Nashville bridge)...like the reissues of that time period. The tuners and bridge that are on this guitar are correct for a Standard 82.

Missing parts and way overpriced. Though the rarity is that it is left handed so that can make a difference.

Greco

Reaction score
It looks correct......the serial is correct in location. It's not a reissue like the "Leo" or "Guitar Trader" models...Which had the serial on the ledge of the control cavity and an inked stamp number on the headstock.... it is simply a Standard that has the same structure/build.....1 piece hog neck.....1 piece hog body and a 2 piece flamed maple cap.

It doesn't have the old style pressed in bushing Kluson tuners or a ABR-1 bridge....(it has a Nashville bridge)...like the reissues of that time period. The tuners and bridge that are on this guitar are correct for a Standard 82.

Missing parts and way overpriced. Though the rarity is that it is left handed so that can make a difference.
If you had to ballpark the price range, what would it be?

Roxy13

Reaction score
TC Gakki will deal a little bit, but I don't think there is any way they will go down to $2500. I've bought from them before and had a positive experience.

Greco

Reaction score
TC Gakki will deal a little bit, but I don't think there is any way they will go down to $2500. I've bought from them before and had a positive experience.
What’s the lowest do you think they will go? I don’t believe that this guitar should be around 3k especially when tax and customs need to be considered.

Roxy13

Reaction score
What’s the lowest do you think they will go? I don’t believe that this guitar should be around 3k especially when tax and customs need to be considered.
No clue. I bought a $600 some dollar Bacchus from them.

You can always make an offer. Just realize that if it's accepted you are bound to it via Reverb so you need to be prepared to pay in that case.

mudface

Boo Bee
Reaction score
i agree $3k

Greco

Reaction score
I think 3k would be a stretch IF it were a righty.

Lefty, maybe.
Wait something is wrong here. Shouldn't there be a Built in the USA stamp on the back of the headstock? Also shouldn’t the truss rod say standard 82? And finally, you said the bridge is a Nashville style bridge, but shouldn’t it be an ABR-1? Cause according to sources it says it should be ABR-1. Can anyone help confirm?

mudface

Boo Bee
Reaction score
Wait something is wrong here. Shouldn't there be a Built in the USA stamp on the back of the headstock? Also shouldn’t the truss rod say standard 82? And finally, you said the bridge is a Nashville style bridge, but shouldn’t it be an ABR-1? Cause according to sources it says it should be ABR-1. Can anyone help confirm?
The USA stamp can still be there but very faint or wasn’t used on this model. The truss rod cover would have to be engraved for left handed,... so I wouldn’t know if that actually happened on lefties....as far as the ABR-1..... I have seen Heritage 80s using both the Nashville or ABR-1.... so this may apply here.... though what can be noted is that regular Standards of this period would have a 3 piece maple neck and 3 piece maple cap.... this is not a regular Standard.

It’s more closely related to the Heritage 80.

Roxy13

Reaction score
They do have at least one employee who speaks English well so I was able to communicate with them just fine. The guitar I bought didn't have a case and they put it in a brand new (well padded) gig bag free of charge and included some nice little things like an extra set of strings and polishing cloths.

Greco

Reaction score
They do have at least one employee who speaks English well so I was able to communicate with them just fine. The guitar I bought didn't have a case and they put it in a brand new (well padded) gig bag free of charge and included some nice little things like an extra set of strings and polishing cloths.
The employee I spoke with is Gyo. Very nice. I currently sent another message through reverb as at this time there seems to be an error as they listed the neck joint as a detachable bolt but from photos it’s clearly a glued in neck. Hopefully I’ll hear from them at some point

Roxy13

Reaction score
The employee I spoke with is Gyo. Very nice. I currently sent another message through reverb as at this time there seems to be an error as they listed the neck joint as a detachable bolt but from photos it’s clearly a glued in neck. Hopefully I’ll hear from them at some point
They were quick to answer me. Just have to bear in mind the time difference. Right now it's morning there so I would expect an answer soon.

Greco

Reaction score
The USA stamp can still be there but very faint or wasn’t used on this model. The truss rod cover would have to be engraved for left handed,... so I wouldn’t know if that actually happened on lefties....as far as the ABR-1..... I have seen Heritage 80s using both the Nashville or ABR-1.... so this may apply here.... though what can be noted is that regular Standards of this period would have a 3 piece maple neck and 3 piece maple cap.... this is not a regular Standard.

It’s more closely related to the Heritage 80.

This is another one listed in Germany. This one has the stamp on the back. The one from Japan has a sticker but I can’t read it. Does anyone know what the sticker says? Was this a one off special order? I know it can’t be a prototype as back then they were stamped.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
I have seen made for Japan Gibson's have a sticker that would say something to the effect of "Authentic Product" etc.

is there a pic?

never mind...the words are "Authorized Instrument" ......yes it is the real deal.
lht5gk54uinhcidz4xfs.jpg

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
NOPE! It may be an 82 Standard, but is not a Standard 82 model from Kalamazoo.

Wrong or altered on multiple points.

Wrong top - not quilted

Should not have burst - honey or natural

Wrong CC cover - not brown

Wrong TRC

Wrong Bridge

No 'Made in USA' stamp

Wrong tuners

Wrong pickup screws - not phillips

And a re-fret - no nibs

1624670392238.png

Standard 82 Les Paul

SMALL-02C

The Les Paul Standard 82 was made in Kalamazoo. The folklore surrounding this guitar is that the luthiers in Kalamazoo wanted to show the luthiers in Nashville how to make a “real” limited edition LP reissue that was of high quality and closer to vintage specs. This guitar has the thin binding in the cutaway, ABR-1 bridge, narrow headstock, brown backplates for the control cavity and switch, large tortoiseshell side dot markers, “Made in USA” stamp on the back of the headstock, and tulip style Grovers. The example here weighs 10 pounds. The Standard 82s have a truss rod cover that says “Standard 82” on them, breathtaking quilted tops, in natural or honeyburst.

Last edited:

Latest Threads