Identifying 58 DC JR reissue year

bluesriffdev

Reaction score
Hi,

A pawn shop near my work recently listed this on Facebook and I feel like some suckers going to eat it up:

Now while it's obvious that this is a 58' reissue, I'm just wondering if there's a way to identify the year? Would it be 2017 or 2007?

I'd like to think this is an honest mistake by someone who doesn't know guitars, but the circumstances + the fact that they said this guitar was made in the Kalamazoo plant indicates otherwise. Why would a guitar from 68 have a certificate of authenticity from the Gibson custom shop? Plus, the listing has 18 comments, despite there only being 13, indicating they've been hidden by the pawn shop. I've spoken to the pawnshop over messenger and they haven't replied.

Also, while this is obviously a reissue, was there ever a 68' junior? I was under the impression it was just customs and standards at that year.

RAG7890

Reaction score
So many things in that CC ad that are so wrong.............even the price is wrong.

You can find these for way less here & WTF with the 1968 & Kalamazoo?

Beyond laughable. Bunch of amateurs.

:cheers2:

Last edited:

bluesriffdev

Reaction score
So many things in that Cash Converters ad that are so wrong.............even the price is wrong.

You can find these for way less here & WTF with the 1868 & Kalamazoo?

Beyond laughable. Bunch of amateurs.

If some junkie in the valley managed to convince them that this was a 68' I am at least somewhat happy. Just so long as no legitimate buyer gets suckered in.

RAG7890

Reaction score
I just called them & they told me a marketing Company looks after these ads...........I'll get now a call from them on Monday & provide the accurate information to them so they can change the ad.

RAG7890

Reaction score
If some junkie in the valley managed to convince them that this was a 68' I am at least somewhat happy. Just so long as no legitimate buyer gets suckered in.
Yep, the lady I just spoke to asked how I would know the ad is wrong, so I went over a few details & explained that we just don't want to see Guitars for sale anywhere with obvious inaccurate information etc.

It's pretty obvious re Gibson Custom on the Case Handle Tag, the Booklet, the Serial No. & the date that will be on the inspection Card. Not that hard to work out IMHO.

bluesriffdev

Reaction score
I just called them & they told me a marketing Company looks after these ads...........I'll get now a call from them on Monday & provide the accurate information to them so they can change the ad.

Haha, absolute legend. I just figured I'd let them know and if they didn't do anything it's no skin off my nose. Well done.

Left Paw

Reaction score
They really had no idea what it was, and immediately thought it was gold.

bluesriffdev

Reaction score
They really had no idea what it was, and immediately thought it was gold.
My guess is that, if Rag's story up above about the marketing company rings true, the intern likely stuck the serial into a serial finder. 871754 on a solid body would be 1968/9 I'd think. I'd like to hope the store clerk would know better but priced at $4,999 I somehow doubt it.

bluesriffdev

Reaction score
A 2007 CR8 I once owned did.
My guess was 2017 based on it having the book but I didn't think they still used the custom shop logo with the little star anymore, that's why I also guessed 2007 but I didn't think they made the 58 DC RI in 2007. I'm sure I could take a closer look in my work break but I have no intention to pay anywhere near the price they're asking.

Jabberwocky

Reaction score
And the black Gibson Custom case with the red interior is indicative of a 2007 although cases can always be swapped, I suppose.

Pawnshops are so full of sh$t.

Latest Threads