Identification help

bigandy98

Reaction score
Would love to know more about the awesome Epiphone LP I purchased used a little over a year ago. The serial number has rubbed off the sticker a bit. The guy I bought it from said he thought it was a late mid to late 90's. To me the condition other than the headstock rubbing off some letters suggests it may be newer, but maybe it just wasn't played hard.
It plays great and I am happy with the sound and quality but like all enthusiasts I'd like to know some of the details or at least a range. I pad $230 which I think was a great deal but who knows. I'm happy with it so that's all that matters I guess.

image1.jpeg
image0.jpeg

Attachments

Guy Named Sue

Reaction score
It says inspected in China, Epiphone started their first factory there back in 2004. It cant be older than that.

bigandy98

Reaction score
It says inspected in China, Epiphone started their first factory there back in 2004. It cant be older than that.
Thanks, I was also trying to understand based on the sticker Serial. But apparently there aren't hard dates for when they started/stopped that.

I was wondering if I can infer the first characters of the serial from the Gabon China factory as well.

bigandy98

Reaction score
Interesting, I don't see any 'used' or '2nd' brand on mine. I could peel the sticker back I guess since it is not really useful as it stands anyway.

LP1865

Reaction score
It seems that Epiphone opened its new self-owned factory in 2004.
Guitars prior to those were made by other factories, not owned by Epiphone

privateer1967

Reaction score
I’m no expert but I believe the orange serial number sticker is a Musical Instrument Reclamation Center serial number. They are a company that sells refurbished factory seconds and used stuff. I could be wrong though.

DrBGood

Reaction score
I’m no expert but I believe the orange serial number sticker is a Musical Instrument Reclamation Center serial number. They are a company that sells refurbished factory seconds and used stuff. I could be wrong though.
Exactly that. It is a refurbished guitar. When there's a 2ND punch and no serial, it is a second from the factory.

bigandy98

Reaction score
Thanks for all the information and theories. Would I be able to tell anything from taking out the pickups or looking inside the body?

DrBGood

Reaction score
Thanks for all the information and theories. Would I be able to tell anything from taking out the pickups or looking inside the body?
Not really.. You have a nice LP, does it play and sound great ?

bigandy98

Reaction score
Not really.. You have a nice LP, does it play and sound great ?
For now it has replaced my Mexican Fender Tele as my primary guitar. It's awesome.

Just was curious about what pickups were in it in case I wanted to fool around and replace them. Might have to use trial and error I guess!

Latest Threads