Ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

smk506

Reaction score
I remember seeing an article some guy wrote decades back saying for Oh Shit defense, his favorite was .38Special with flat paper punchers. The round did not project past end of case. Kinda odd not to see lead out front. At PBR, a flat projectile is gonna punch a hole, accuracy is NOT an issue at PBR, and it's gonna rip some stuff.as edge will cut....

Cool idea in a wheeler loaded for PBR.... Light ass load but effective as hell....

Had a bud who loaded hollow base was cutters into his Blackhawk with a .357 Bain & Davis type setup (his was necked brass, no collet) anyway, that was about as much ass as he could figure how to fit in a HD sized gun at the time. A single action wouldn’t be my HD pick, but that’s a world of hurt getting thrown around.

As to .22, I’ve posted pics of the 60 grain bad boys I used to give my mom for the job. Anyone not wearing body armor would have a no good, seriously bad day on the catching end of those.

I don’t suppose there’s a caliber out there I’d be to enthused to try that with.

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Reaction score
If your mom likes, and is used to 1911s, and she's ok with a .380, I'd suggest checking out the Browning 1911-380 … … for greater concealability …
That’s a pretty cool gun.
I can definitely see where the 1911 folks would be inclined toward it.
Should be quite controllable.

In a related matter, the Sig P365 is also now available in 380.
I haven’t seen one or held one in my hand, but if the snap of a 9mm is a concern in such a small gun, then that might be the answer.

My wife is not an experienced shooter, so she had a bit of a learning curve.
After going to the P365, she was having trouble beyond 7 yards for qualification.

She wound up going to a Glock Model 19.
For whatever reason (of many possibilities) she hit much better with it.

But she is happy with her P365 for daily carry.

Last edited:

PapaSquash

Reaction score
That’s a pretty cool gun.
I can definitely see where the 1911 folks would be inclined toward it.
Should be quite controllable.

In a related matter, the Sig P365 is also now available in 380.
I haven’t seen one or held one in my hand, but if the snap of a 9mm is a concern in such a small gun, then that might be the answer.

My wife is not an experienced shooter, so she had a bit of a learning curve.
After going to the P365, she was having trouble beyond 7 yards for qualification.

She wound up going to a Glock Model 19.
For whatever reason (of many possibilities) she hit much better with it.

But she is happy with her P365 for daily carry.
The P365 380 slide is supposed to be easy to rack too. Reputation is that they shoot pretty softly, but that a loose grip can cause stovepipes.

I have a 23 year old daughter who is 5'2" and an actress and a bartender. I have considered one for her when she has to leave work late.

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since there are so many animal lovers at MLP, I'm asking for some help.

I have a sick cat with heavy vet bills and am asking for some financial help to cover a 1911 bill.

The .38 Super meds are really expensive and I'm worried I'll lose the Les Baer cat because I can't afford the cost.

Thank You for any help. :)

I Break Things

Reaction score
Since there are so many animal lovers at MLP, I'm asking for some help.

I have a sick cat with heavy vet bills and am asking for some financial help to cover a 1911 bill.

The .38 Super meds are really expensive and I'm worried I'll lose the Les Baer cat because I can't afford the cost.

Thank You for any help. :)
You just ain't right! :laugh2:

I Break Things

Reaction score
I told my mom and dad about some of the recommendations you guys have. She still really wants a Judge, but I'm just not sure how much it kicks and how much she can handle, considering she has trouble with her LC380. I'll be looking into all the guns you guys have suggested and try to figure something out for her. I don't like how unprotected she is without my dad around, and he's very much disabled, now, so even that isn't totally comforting. I'd like to find something for him, too, but he's easier. He'd be happy with any 1911 in .45 ACP, Glock 17, or Glock 19. He's got a lot of training on those. Anyone know of a reputable, reliable 1911 maker that isn't super expensive? They're on a fixed income.

Leee

Reaction score
Mom needs to get a Judge in her hand.
She doesn’t even have to fire it.

If you let her handle one for a minute or two, she’s almost certain to change her mind.
They are big and heavy.
I would think it would be impossibly cumbersome for an older, arthritic woman to handle.

It’s tough to beat a Glock 19.
Especially for the money.

sonar1

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
…Anyone know of a reputable, reliable 1911 maker that isn't super expensive? They're on a fixed income.
Kimber: I’ve had a couple before, and one in 9mm.
8D65A589-A611-4C11-8ADD-BC95CBC59939.jpeg

I got used to custom guns for competition, but these run good and are around 1kilobuck ($1000).
It’s my only handgun presently. I trust it.

Leee

Reaction score
@sonar1
We’re talking 20 years ago, and I don’t remember the specific model number, but a friend of mine had a small Kimber 1911-style 9mm that I got a chance to shoot one day.

For the first time in my life, I picked up an unfamiliar gun and started banging steel plates at 15 yards with hardly a miss.

It’s not that I especially loved the gun (I’m not really a 1911 guy) but it clearly worked quite well.

That gun was stolen out of his truck a couple years later, and I don’t think he has ever replaced it.

sonar1

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's purty. Does it have a break-in period like some guns, or was it ready to go out of the box?
It has run glitch free from the get go.

I run stainless pistols pretty wet with lube. Stainless on stainless wants to gall. My friends called me ”Oil Can Henry” because I like Mobile One synthetic engine oil.
Works for me. It’s been ages since I had any kind of malfunction.

One caveat: if you keep a round in the chamber, make sure it’s a defensive load like Federal Hydra-Shock or something.
The primers are sealed on defensive loads, to keep any kind of oil from wicking in and contaminating the powder. A little residue on the bolt face could be rude if you have a fail to fire when your life is on the line.
When I carried, the round in the pipe was a Hydra-shock or equivalent.
The magazine just had 230gr ball ammo.

scott1970

Reaction score
I told my mom and dad about some of the recommendations you guys have. She still really wants a Judge, but I'm just not sure how much it kicks and how much she can handle, considering she has trouble with her LC380. I'll be looking into all the guns you guys have suggested and try to figure something out for her. I don't like how unprotected she is without my dad around, and he's very much disabled, now, so even that isn't totally comforting. I'd like to find something for him, too, but he's easier. He'd be happy with any 1911 in .45 ACP, Glock 17, or Glock 19. He's got a lot of training on those. Anyone know of a reputable, reliable 1911 maker that isn't super expensive? They're on a fixed income.

Give serious consideration to the Tisas 1911s coming in from Turkey. I'm reading great things about them repeatedly. I handled one in a store recently and my friend and I were blown away by how nice it was for the price. Trigger, fit and finish were great and it's a forged slide and frame. It was only $450. I've been told, take that for what it's worth, that these pistols are being built on old Colt equipment, but I can't confirm it.

I Break Things

Reaction score
Give serious consideration to the Tisas 1911s coming in from Turkey. I'm reading great things about them repeatedly. I handled one in a store recently and my friend and I were blown away by how nice it was for the price. Trigger, fit and finish were great and it's a forged slide and frame. It was only $450. I've been told, take that for what it's worth, that these pistols are being built on old Colt equipment, but I can't confirm it.
Thanks! I'll look them up and send my dad some links to them. Hopefully, mom and dad can find something they like. In the meantime, my mom just keeps a bowie knife on her... :shock:

Jeremiah

The Worst
Reaction score
I'm concerned about my own mother being able to defend herself now that my dad has passed away. She's got arthritis in her hands as well, and doesn't really like guns. At this point, I'm thinking of a Home Alone style booby-trap setup. What could possibly go wrong?

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mom needs to get a Judge in her hand.
She doesn’t even have to fire it.

If you let her handle one for a minute or two, she’s almost certain to change her mind.
They are big and heavy.
I would think it would be impossibly cumbersome for an older, arthritic woman to handle.

It’s tough to beat a Glock 19.
Especially for the money.
Operating the slide becomes the issue.
My wife can handle the 92FS, and her Sig 238.
She can't operate anything else we own, 1911 is ok if and only if she pulls the hammer back first.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's purty. Does it have a break-in period like some guns, or was it ready to go out of the box?
No experience with the 9mm, but in .45, I've had no issues with my Stainless Raptor or the Covert right out of the box.

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thoughts?
That is very interesting...... Like a finger extender too....

I don't mind loading mags but that is a cool concept.... Handy for folks with finger strength issues.... Before I'd trust it, I'd have to run one a bunch of times both paced and rapid fire though.... If there is a crank, there is added mechanism inside the mag, which increases opportunity to bind... That would bother me.... When I see or experience and gun fart, depending on the jam, I'm gonna look at feed ramp first and then the mag is gonna be scrutinized....

Still think it is cool in that it is integral to the mag itself and not and extra chunk of hardware....

Latest Threads