Ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
10mm carbine...

I seriously considered buying a Kriss Vector in 10mm.

The one that I still dream about at night was an H&K MP-5 in 10mm.

I understand there was a small run done for the FBI when they started out with the 10mm for their side arm.

I seriously doubt any of them would ever escape into the civilian world, but I could always dream!

scott1970

Reaction score
I am locked into a 10mm loop... Just when I think I'm about to buy, I see another 10mm that catches my eye.....

I have an idea!

You buy a newly released Glock G20 Gen 5, an M&P 2.0 10mm, and a Springfield XDM 10mm. Then you bring them to my range, and we shoot them until I figure out which one I want to buy. That's a win-win.

For a couple of years, I had an issued HK UMP .45 submachine riding in the trunk of my old Crown Vic police car. It came with no restrictions on using it in my free time, and I had my own range. A bunch of my shooting buddies got to play with that thing. It was really fun.

Last edited:

scott1970

Reaction score
I have the habit of casting and loading ammo in small batches, running out and repeating. It's always worked fine for me. During the second week of December, I ran dry on .45 acp ammo. Suddenly, I had an epiphany. I decided to see if I could fully put together a sizeable batch, the casting, coating, sizing and loading.

I've chipped away at it steadily based on the weather. Above average temps and I'd cast. Real cold and no rain and I'd coat. Rainy or whatever and I'd load.

I primarily load on a pair of Dillon RL550B presses. Here's the beauty of a progressive press....

As of this morning, I've completed 5,000 rounds of 200 gr. SWC .45 acp ammo which filled seven .30 cal cans.

0lp0tFNh.png

I'm going to change gears and put my focus on other calibers now, although I have no intentions of loading this kind of volume.

scott1970

Reaction score
^^^

I've felt that way when bullets or guns have gotten ornery.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
I start saving today!

Word from the Ruger reps at Shot Show is that they plan to start making the Marlin 39A again! I'm a rimfire guy and it's my favorite lever .22lr ever made. Perfect balance, trigger, great iron sights and smooth action with a whole bunch of blue whistlers in the tube. I can't wait to get my hands on one!

THDNUT

Reaction score
My favorite .22 lever is the Browning BL-22. More compact and lighter than a Marlin 39A.

1674270408798.png

I bought mine used back in 2002 for $225 in excellent condition.

I had a chance to buy a used Marlin 39A back in the 1990's but decided not to because it was being offered by two Mexicans whom I knew to be illegals. :rofl:

Thundermtn

Reaction score
I always liked the BL-22, it's amazing how few are out in the wild. I only know two guys that have them. I think it's the trigger coming down when you cycle it that weirds guys out. I'm a browning rifle guy for sure. My favorite Browning .22 is the SA. Wonderfull little rifle.

A lighter .22 is easier to carry but I love the heft of the Marlin when you're aiming up in a tree for squirrels. Let's it hold still just a little bit better for me, especially if your heart rate is up.

Heft is actually something I wanted in a .22 for a LOT of years. The longest barreled and heaviest .22 revolver was what I traded up to for knocking raccoons out of tree tops down to the dogs.

scott1970

Reaction score
@edro...last night I found an area police supply store that has a pile of the brand-new Glock 20 Gen 5 10mm models. You know a 10mm is calling you.

I may get one today. They're all MOS cut, and that does nothing for me, but the police price is $474 plus tax. That's mighty cheap for a big nasty 10mm MOS pistol.

JonCanfield

Random Yahoo
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My favorite .22 rifle is my Henry Golden Boy. Build quality is excellent, shoots great

THDNUT

Reaction score
I always liked the BL-22, it's amazing how few are out in the wild. I only know two guys that have them. I think it's the trigger coming down when you cycle it that weirds guys out. I'm a browning rifle guy for sure. My favorite Browning .22 is the SA. Wonderfull little rifle.

A lighter .22 is easier to carry but I love the heft of the Marlin when you're aiming up in a tree for squirrels. Let's it hold still just a little bit better for me, especially if your heart rate is up.

Heft is actually something I wanted in a .22 for a LOT of years. The longest barreled and heaviest .22 revolver was what I traded up to for knocking raccoons out of tree tops down to the dogs.
I have a SA-22 also....a grade VI.

scott1970

Reaction score
I took a road trip today with an old cop buddy of mine. We hit a fantastic barbeque joint on the southside of Atlanta. When we walked in and I saw we were the only white boys in the establishment, I knew we were in for some great food. We chatted with the owner while he was working his big smoker by the roadway. I'd hit that chopped pork again and I'm still full.

We hit a gun store which happens to be, according to them, the biggest Glock dealer in the state of Georgia. They had piles of the new Gen 5 20s and 21s. Police price was $477 and tax which is about thirteen bucks higher than they used to be before all the MOS silliness took over. I bought a 10mm and had the orange Ameriglo Bold sights put on it. They work great in eventful situations day or night.

kRM1dQCh.jpg

The 20 is a lot of gun, but it makes my wrist look fat, and I don't know why.

IMk7Bgzh.jpg

@edro, I have some big news from the world of 10mm. According to the gentlemen at this police supply store, FN is getting ready to release a 10mm handgun. These guys said it will be the FNX .45 in 10mm. They couldn't give a timeframe but said it would be pretty soon. If I was straddling the fence on a 10mm handgun, I'd absolutely jump on an FN. I'll be grabbing one as soon as they pop up.

scott1970

Reaction score
I just visited FN's website and they now have the 510 and 545 listed, their new tactical model 10mm and .45 acp. I'm guessing this is what the counter guys were referring to, although they are already for sale on GB. FN is mighty proud of them, maybe a little too proud. I'll have to see what their law enforcement price is before I commit now.

THDNUT

Reaction score
Cabela's by me has a very cool Dan Wesson 1911 10mm with a 6" barrel in their Gun Library. It looks like this. $2299 new.

More than I want to spend.

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That FN is sexy.... Yeuh.

Latest Threads