Ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

BlankinLoud

Reaction score
I could say that the 7.62x39 is a common ammo..... That is a biggie in my book....

My model 70 is in .30-06 instead of .308 mainly because I can buy .30-06 at a lot of gas stations even...

Thanks for that. Reinforces my reasoning for getting this rifle...The other firearm's on my "purchase ASAP" list are a 9mm revolver and the most accurate .22LR rifle that I can afford.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everybody needs a good .22LR... I have .17HMR, .22LR, and .22Mag rifles... But .22LR is most important... ammo availability if shit gets weird down the road.... I have a lot of ammo for those but if I had to bug, the .22LR would come with me... If you can shoot, you can kill anything up through deer with a .22LR. You can eat...and eat well... I'd have my Colt AR-15 9mm carbine and a few extra sticks around for the 'fuck around and find out' disbelievers...

BlankinLoud

Reaction score
Everybody needs a good .22LR... I have .17HMR, .22LR, and .22Mag rifles... But .22LR is most important... ammo availability if shit gets weird down the road.... I have a lot of ammo for those but if I had to bug, the .22LR would come with me... If you can shoot, you can kill anything up through deer with a .22LR. You can eat...and eat well... I'd have my Colt AR-15 9mm carbine and a few extra sticks around for the 'fuck around and find out' disbelievers...

Right now I have a Ruger Single Six in .22LR and a CMG 22LR BCR for my AR.

I'm looking real hard at the Ruger Precision .22LR. Probably my next purchase, then get the 9mm Rock Island revolver. Later on priorities will probably be the 17.HMR and .22Mag versions of the Ruger Precision rifle because I like those cartridges.

pnuggett

Reaction score

Thanks, just what I need....temptation to spend more money.:laugh2:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, just what I need....temptation to spend more money.:laugh2:

They print more of it every day......

sackhead.gif

Thundermtn

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure at one point in history the world record brown bear was killed with a .22lr. Wanting to remember a Native American lady was picking berries or something along those lines and the bear got way too close and she put one in his ear hole just as the bear, unaware of her presence, was about to get her scent.

scott1970

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure at one point in history the world record brown bear was killed with a .22lr. Wanting to remember a Native American lady was picking berries or something along those lines and the bear got way too close and she put one in his ear hole just as the bear, unaware of her presence, was about to get her scent.

Yep, a little old lady killed an absolute monster with a .22. There’s a picture of her standing in front of the skinned out bear hide and it’s jaw dropping.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep... I don't doubt a bear could be killed with a .22...if you find a spot that ain't skull... It wouldn't surprise me if a .30-06 could ricochet off a skull like that unless you hit perpendicular to bone plane and at a thinner spot..... A glancing blow (low ⌀ of incidence) could serve to really piss it off...

I remember reading some years back that .22LR was used for more poaching than any..... A neck/head shot on a deer will drop it.. Placement placement placement...

I also remember way back reading the more folks were shot with .22LR than nay other caliber at that time.... Massad wrote once that what made a .22LR so bad was its tendency to ricochet rabbit around the body, bouncing off everything hard... Head shot could internally be like that charity coin funnel bowl at stores where a quarter will take a while going round and round until it gets to funnel neck... A .22LR projectile can do that inside skull... A .22LR can wind up anywhere internally. Docs have a tough time because where it broke epidermal surface has no bearing on where it goes or where it winds up. Channel is narrow so it can be almost closed and weep blood instead of an easier to spot wound channel.... Hit main mass and exit at wrist is not impossible with. that little pissed off hornet...and you can't tell how it got there... 230gr .45ACP channel would be rather easy to spot.... A bigger bore centerfire rifle round too.... A .45-70 would not be confusing at all....rather obvious...

scott1970

Reaction score
Yep... I don't doubt a bear could be killed with a .22...if you find a spot that ain't skull... It wouldn't surprise me if a .30-06 could ricochet off a skull like that unless you hit perpendicular to bone plane and at a thinner spot..... A glancing blow (low ⌀ of incidence) could serve to really piss it off...

I remember reading some years back that .22LR was used for more poaching than any..... A neck/head shot on a deer will drop it.. Placement placement placement...

I also remember way back reading the more folks were shot with .22LR than nay other caliber at that time.... Massad wrote once that what made a .22LR so bad was its tendency to ricochet rabbit around the body, bouncing off everything hard... Head shot could internally be like that charity coin funnel bowl at stores where a quarter will take a while going round and round until it gets to funnel neck... A .22LR projectile can do that inside skull... A .22LR can wind up anywhere internally. Docs have a tough time because where it broke epidermal surface has no bearing on where it goes or where it winds up. Channel is narrow so it can be almost closed and weep blood instead of an easier to spot wound channel.... Hit main mass and exit at wrist is not impossible with. that little pissed off hornet...and you can't tell how it got there... 230gr .45ACP channel would be rather easy to spot.... A bigger bore centerfire rifle round too.... A .45-70 would not be confusing at all....rather obvious...

The vast majority of suicides I worked involved a .22 to the head. They never exited and bounced around inside the skull. The entry wounds were often difficult to locate due to the small size and the mass amounts of exceptionally thick blood pouring from inside the head.

One of the more bizarre suicides involved lots of lit candles and rose petals and a .22 to the head. The girl was lying on her back with her eyes open. Blood bubbles kept rising from both tear ducts. They would grow and grow and then burst causing the blood to pool in the whites of her eyes before running down both sides of her face. Who needs horror movies when you can shut your eyes and take a trip down memory lane.

Latest Threads