Ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

Teledan

Reaction score
That is what I am leaning toward, the Hogue “tamer”.

So, even though the stock grips use a center screw, the frame will accept a bottom screw?
There is a round hole at the very bottom of the tang that a round dowel fits through. The dowel acts as a sort of locator for the grips like yours. For the hogue grips, there is another piece that fits in that same hole and it has a threaded “nut” at the bottom that the hogue grips attach to.

1663738275203.jpeg

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too bad that Scorpion isn't select fire. Nice piece! :)
yeah, there are some restrictions, limited to semi auto. It was an OK range with a decent set of guns to choose.

However, I have been doing more research and I think prague is going to become my second home.

I can fly there for less than cost of train to london (£90 return) and found good clean hotel for £40 a night. I found an outdoor range to 500m, 1/2 hour from prague center, they do defensive and dynamic pistol courses and opportunity to ring bells out to 500m with various long guns.

I need to get fit though, as I am seriously overweight at mo.

Last edited:

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
And I generally like the Hague’s etc. But there’s something about the Ruger inserts that just look right with this gun.

By measurements, this came with the “compact” set at 3 3/4” tall and probably what I want is the regular set at 4”…….and $45 or so.

It appears The Hague attach differently (at the bottom) than the Ruger grips???

FYI, this is a Hague:

full

...and this is a Hogue (the grips on the 686, that is):

full

...but we know what you meant! LOL!

Frank

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 637076

I like the way the stock grips look, but they aren't too comfortable when you're shooting full house rounds. These are very comfortable and easy to grip.
Totally agree. I LOVE most stock and wood grips on wheel guns. I only have Hogue on the GP100. All others have their stock or upgraded wood grips. I shoot the GP100 a shit ton more than any other handgun I own. Hogue grips are awesome for that reason alone. I'll never change them. :)

Who

Well respected man about town
Reaction score
Cleaned a couple of ARs today.

I know some guys who clean guns after every use. I applaud their diligence, time management, and care. I am not invited to their club.

Me…. My guns can go years without basic care, much less proper cleaning.

Autoloading pistols…. Take off the slide, pop out the barrel, wipe what I can reach with a paper towel. Every few years.

ARs… my oldest on is 3.5 years old… probably 3-4,000 rounds. I haven’t cleaned it yet. I have squirted lube on the BCG.

My other two (the ones that got cleaned today), maybe 1,000 and 500 rounds through them. The 500 rounder was filthy compared to the 1,000. Weird. But the cleaner one has higher quality parts.

I‘m just lazy. I get home and put them away. The only consistently nice things I do for the ARs is fire maybe 5 rounds of decent ammo through them after a steady diet of steel Tul or Wolf all day.

Now that they are all clean, I feel much better. I’ll have to treat the older one to a cleaning.

scott1970

Reaction score
I'm diligent about wiping down my guns after a range trip, but my pistols are getting three to five hundred rounds through them between cleanings. The 1911s do get lightly oiled prior to each range trip.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Totally agree. I LOVE most stock and wood grips on wheel guns. I only have Hogue on the GP100. All others have their stock or upgraded wood grips. I shoot the GP100 a shit ton more than any other handgun I own. Hogue grips are awesome for that reason alone. I'll never change them. :)

When I stopped shooting the 686 in matches, I took off the Hogue's and put the stock grips back on. It doesn't get many rounds downrange these days, mostly just toted around by the wife, or playing safe queen.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Cleaned a couple of ARs today.

I know some guys who clean guns after every use. I applaud their diligence, time management, and care. I am not invited to their club.

Me…. My guns can go years without basic care, much less proper cleaning.

Autoloading pistols…. Take off the slide, pop out the barrel, wipe what I can reach with a paper towel. Every few years.

ARs… my oldest on is 3.5 years old… probably 3-4,000 rounds. I haven’t cleaned it yet. I have squirted lube on the BCG.

My other two (the ones that got cleaned today), maybe 1,000 and 500 rounds through them. The 500 rounder was filthy compared to the 1,000. Weird. But the cleaner one has higher quality parts.

I‘m just lazy. I get home and put them away. The only consistently nice things I do for the ARs is fire maybe 5 rounds of decent ammo through them after a steady diet of steel Tul or Wolf all day.

Now that they are all clean, I feel much better. I’ll have to treat the older one to a cleaning.

I hate cleaning guns. There, I said it, too.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm diligent about wiping down my guns after a range trip, but my pistols are getting three to five hundred rounds through them between cleanings. The 1911s do get lightly oiled prior to each range trip.
I think a lot of the attitude of "clean them every time you shoot them" comes from old timers who would only go shooting a couple of times a year... or hunters who beat the crap out of their guns for a few weeks and then they got hung back up in the den.

Before any kind of storage? Absolutely... put 'em away clean.
Then there's corrosive ammo... Ya, gotta' deal with that ASAP.

But a handgun that goes to the range every week or two? Meh... once a month for a quick field strip, checkup, and jag through the barrel is good.
My carry guns get a field strip once a week to make sure there's no "pocket fuzz" collecting in the barrel or on the breech.

scott1970

Reaction score
Excluding the possibilities of a scam or theft during deliver, both of which are huge in the gun market right now, I purchased a haggard gun last night that has been on my lust list for years now. Now to see if it pans out for me.

BlankinLoud

Reaction score
Looking at getting an inexpensive AR that has more oomph than .556 NATO. I'm thinking I want a 6 inch circle point blank range of 0 to 200 yards with commercially available ammunition.

Given my current regulatory environment I have zero interest in either "AR Pistols" or suppressors. I'm not as optimistic as @45WinMag is about NFA going away.

LGS is a Palmetto dealer, and has a "build your rifle" deal for under $500.

Bargain 16" upper options are .556 NATO, 300 Blackout, .762x39, and 350 Legend.

Right now I'm leaning towards either .762x39 or 350 legend.

What can you folks tell me about the 350 Legend cartridge?

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could say that the 7.62x39 is a common ammo..... That is a biggie in my book....

My model 70 is in .30-06 instead of .308 mainly because I can buy .30-06 at a lot of gas stations even...

Latest Threads