Ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
One of the first things I realized when I got here was Roberteaux can write and he puts it in a way that even boneheads like me can understand it.

Like eating a big bowl of ice cream you want more more more..

Just like this guy

View attachment 626052
I

Thanks, pal!

Very happy you have enjoyed some of the stuff I've posted... but whoo, comparing me to J.W.? Oh, my noes! :shock:

Oh man, when it came to police stories-- truth or fiction-- he was the Master! :bowdown

Thank you for such a gracious compliment, bro. Think I'm gonna go let some of the air pressure out of my head now, though. I'd like my hats to continue to fit me properly... :laugh2:

Thanks again! :)

--R :thumb:

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, is ice cream the new cake?

I like ice cream.

I like cake.

I like ice cream on my cake.
Nawt... nawt... when my DSG is finished, I am NOT taking a picture of it with ice cream all over the top!

S-Cupcake.jpg

Bownse

Reaction score
I hated being at the range poking holes in paper when somebody close to me shot an AK with the 'pokey' cut barrel.... Louder'n shit.... Side blast flash suppressors too....Almost as obnoxious but not quite as my bud that collected rifles with heavy steel bands holding the freaking front sight on the barrel so the sight mount doesn't land in the next county when you pull trig.....
A few years back, someone had one of those with a bumb stock installed. Loud, lots of rounds fired with more of a shotgun pattern that a "group", Even with hearing protection the volume got annoying. I had my POF P415 in 5.56 (semi auto without any mods) and a 100 round drum mag. I dumped about half of it in short order into a much tighter group than any he had been doing.

He packed up and left not long after.

Jeremiah

The Worst
Reaction score
hey gang, bringing it back around: does anyone know of another company besides Glock with similar ammunition tolerance? My Glock 19 has been fine with reloads or PMC Bronze. That leads me to believe it can chew through anything. Are there other firearms manufacturers that do this with their pistols? It seems like the Glock is designed specifically to be able to use any ammo.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of mine will eat anything.

That being said, any pistol I buy, I'm gonna polish the feed ramp as a general rule. I want it as close to glass as possible for Zero Bounce when a round is stripped and shoved...

I also will get my dowel and micromesh, the barrel, and watch tv with the dowel with lubed micromesh around it, twirling it in the chamber area slicking it up... All contact surfaces on my pistols get micromeshed. Glass.

It is the way....

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
hey gang, bringing it back around: does anyone know of another company besides Glock with similar ammunition tolerance? My Glock 19 has been fine with reloads or PMC Bronze. That leads me to believe it can chew through anything. Are there other firearms manufacturers that do this with their pistols? It seems like the Glock is designed specifically to be able to use any ammo.

The only firearms with which I have ammo "issues" are .22lr calibers. Specifically, autoloader pistols. They like what they like, and choke on everything else.

Like Edro, I also polish the ramps & chambers on everything.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only firearms with which I have ammo "issues" are .22lr calibers. Specifically, autoloader pistols. They like what they like, and choke on everything else.

Like Edro, I also polish the ramps & chambers on everything.

Decades back, a bud of mine bought a SS FNB HiPower with the gold trigger.... Just came out...

We headed to the range with my 639 and his fancy new Browning.... I grabbed several different boxen of 9mm and he did the same.... I asked him on the way if he'd polished the 'guts'... 'Nawt. It's a Browning.' I looked at him and said 'it is a stainless steel Browning.....and did you at least polish the feed ramp.' - 'Nawt.' Ok den.

I took my ball cap and put it on the roof of my truck and pulled a couple rounds out of each of my boxen and dropped em in the cap. He did the same... I stirred em up and we both pulled about eight rounds out without looking... I fired all eight into the clay pit wall and laid mine down on the hood. He didn't get two rounds out I think without it dicking up. Clear and maybe three before another jam... I went through several groups of eight without issue. (639 is a damn good handgun). He had issue after issue...

He was pissed at the FNB HP. I told him it doesn't matter who built it or how much it costs, polish the feed ramp and chamber at bare minimum. Nose of new round hits ANY deviate spot on the ramp and it will bounce up and dump in your corn flakes... I have seen fairly high dollars before that the feed ramp is polished....but the damn surface slope ain't true. There might be a little spot where the machining was not true so no matter if it shines, if there is a change in slope, something is gonna give. It could be in the bottom of the 'trough' or even a touch off bottom-center... The projectile nose is sliding... Straight line movement up the ramp is da cheeze. ANY deviation will introduce off-axis vector. Redneck version - Ain't gonna ring da hole. It'll bump dat skull on da do' frame up top or somewhere and make you talk ugly... or in an o'shit situation, start bleeding because yo shit is jammed and his ain't.

Soooo.... I automatically know I'm gonna polish some surfaces... Inside chamber is #2 after ramp. I don't want a damn thing sticking because it ain't smooth in the pipe....

I Break Things

Reaction score
My Beretta and my old Sig both performed well with any ammunition.

Jeremiah

The Worst
Reaction score
So stoked. Went to the range today to see if I could get the P320 broken in after a nice cleaning and oiling last night. Ran through 50 124gr Federal and 50 147gr Fiocchi like a champ. Felt lucky so I decided to load up some of the cheapo range ammo and it even went through THAT like it was nothing.

I Break Things

Reaction score
So stoked. Went to the range today to see if I could get the P320 broken in after a nice cleaning and oiling last night. Ran through 50 124gr Federal and 50 147gr Fiocchi like a champ. Felt lucky so I decided to load up some of the cheapo range ammo and it even went through THAT like it was nothing.
Very nice range report. What were the groupings like? Is it accurate and precise?

Reactions: Who

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I forgot to put in my upstream senseless blathering that any aberration in the surface and contour of the feed ramp can cause the projectile nose to BOUNCE instead of slide...

Bounce/deflection is why it hits the 'door frame' at top or off to one side and not enter the chamber.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well, as suspected, the gun show was a whole lotta shit, at st00pid prices. But, it was nice to spend an hour or two, browsing the aisles. My wife enjoys looking at the revolvers and the shotties. And, of course, we can never leave without a container of "gun show pickles".

I did stumble across a good deal on ammo... $402/case for PMC Bronze. That's the cheapest that I've seen name brand ammo in a long time. So, one can always use another case, right?

Especially when you have a li'l Bengal Tiger to guard it. Go ahead. Try and take that ammo.

Grizz Protecting Ammo.JPG

I love the look of a freshly opened case....

IMG_1140.JPG

My wife loves gun show pickles...

IMG_1141.JPG

scott1970

Reaction score
Yesterday afternoon I hit the range to mow it. My neighbor usually keeps it mowed for me, but he went to Europe where he couldn’t maintain my grass. As soon as I fired up the mower it began to pour. I mowed a small section and swam home.

I went back yesterday evening to shoot. I barely made it through the third mag when it started pouring again.

Today, I loaded up the Jeep to hit the range for some more attempted shooting. As soon as I finished shutting the door, the bottom fell out of the sky. It was sunny just minutes before. It’s getting ridiculous.

Latest Threads