Ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

BlankinLoud

Reaction score
And paging @Roberteaux to go over the virtues of .300 BLK vs. .308 for a barrel that short.

I think I recollect he's already said what's needed to be said about that subject.

ETA

Robert's generous sharing of information has enabled me to avoid mistakes and skip over learning a lot of shit the hard way.

Last edited:

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
WHERE'S MY BOOK, GOD DAMMIT?! ;)

While I would love a Roberteaux memoir, there is one thing that makes me even happier that you aren't writing it.... you are still busy living it.

Instead of looking back to "glory days" you continue to take something new, and dig in deep (classic @Roberteaux - style!).

Your adventures in the new machine shop is an example. You don't let grass grow on your brain cells, you keep right on going. It's a pleasure to see. Even though we'll likely never actually meet, it has been a joy for many years to read your take on life.

Thank you very much, my friend... :)

I'm very happy to know that you've enjoyed plowing through some of the stuff I plop on MLP... it's great fun to write it, too!

But still I must say, I failed to tell you that it was... a major surprise, and mildly shocking, even, to find that you'd posted a screen cap of such a curious place as that particular intersection.

It was almost eerie, even! :shock:

My problem as a writer is simply this: I just can't figure out what I should go with. What do people like to read about these days? I've got one thousand ideas, but zero clues. Looking at what's on the bestseller lists leaves me totally puzzled! :dunno:

So, I write here. Vignettes, mostly-- little snip-stories and shit. But when I stop and try to come up with something that would be a cohesive, major type of work, I draw blanks.

Thanks again for the compliment, sir. I really am happy that somebody enjoyed some of these doodles of mine. Sure do wish I could come up with some Great, Universal Truth as a theme, but all I can really do accurately is describe human behavior... most especially, my own! :facepalm:

Thanks again, pal!

--R :cheers2:

BlankinLoud

Reaction score

I'm very happy to know that you've enjoyed plowing through some of the stuff I plop on MLP... it's great fun to write it, too!

But still I must say, I failed to tell you that it was... a major surprise, and mildly shocking, even, to find that you'd posted a screen cap of such a curious place as that particular intersection.

My problem as a writer is simply this: I just can't figure out what I should go with. What do people like to read about these days? I've got one thousand ideas, but zero clues. Looking at what's on the bestseller lists leaves me totally puzzled! :dunno:

So, I write here. Vignettes, mostly-- little snip-stories and shit. But when I stop and try to come up with something that would be a cohesive, major type of work, I draw blanks.

Thanks again for the compliment, sir. I really am happy that somebody enjoyed some of these doodles of mine. Sure do wish I could come up with some Great, Universal Truth as a theme, but all I can really do accurately is describe human behavior... most especially, my own! :facepalm:

Thanks again, pal!

Ima gonna suggest that you focus on your strengths as a writer and publish a collection of vignettes.

BlankinLoud

Reaction score

Thanks again, pal!

If I saw "Roberteaux' short stories collection" in a book store I'd buy it in an instant.

You are at your best with your "Slice of life" short stories....I don't think your writing style is suited for the longer novel length format. You pack so much detail into your writing that a novel in your style would be tedious.

electric head

Just passing thru
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the first things I realized when I got here was Roberteaux can write and he puts it in a way that even boneheads like me can understand it.

Like eating a big bowl of ice cream you want more more more..

Just like this guy

download.jpg

I

BlankinLoud

Reaction score
I've got an 18" barreled .30-06. It's no louder than a small nuclear explosion when it goes off.

Reminds me of the time a friend let me shoot his M1 Tanker.

I managed to keep the 100 yard shots into a 6 inch circle, but "Holy Fuck," that back blast made anything I've fired since seem easy to shoot.

Bownse

Reaction score

Thanks again, pal!

Have you considered creating a compilation of these (and probably similar) efforts?

Reactions: ehb

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got an 18" barreled .30-06. It's no louder than a small nuclear explosion when it goes off.

I hated being at the range poking holes in paper when somebody close to me shot an AK with the 'pokey' cut barrel.... Louder'n shit.... Side blast flash suppressors too....Almost as obnoxious but not quite as my bud that collected rifles with heavy steel bands holding the freaking front sight on the barrel so the sight mount doesn't land in the next county when you pull trig.....

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
WHERE'S MY BOOK, GOD DAMMIT?! ;)

While I would love a Roberteaux memoir, there is one thing that makes me even happier that you aren't writing it.... you are still busy living it.

Instead of looking back to "glory days" you continue to take something new, and dig in deep (classic @Roberteaux - style!).

Your adventures in the new machine shop is an example. You don't let grass grow on your brain cells, you keep right on going. It's a pleasure to see. Even though we'll likely never actually meet, it has been a joy for many years to read your take on life.
Get a room!! :)

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
And paging @Roberteaux to go over the virtues of .300 BLK vs. .308 for a barrel that short.

I've zero experience with that cartridge type in a barrel that short.

But I have fired .30-30 Winchester out of a T/C Contender-- which was quite a handful in terms of recoil, with a slap-yo-face kind of muzzle blast even with a brake attached. It took a bit of discipline on the part of the shooter not to go to Flinch City, that's for sure! :laugh2:

Just guessing, I'd say that a full-house .308 would almost certainly be a decent performer at shorter distances. I seriously doubt the recoil would be so ferocious as that of the .30-30 out of the T/C, but I'd bet that this sort of firearm probably has to be dialed in a bit before you'd get max performance.

Like, the gas tube is so much shorter, and so people who run that kind of a configuration probably do stuff like put adjustable gas blocks in there, maybe use a different buffer weight... maybe both.

I'm aware that .308 is easily loaded as a sub-- which would also probably be most well-facilitated by means of an adjustable gas block and maybe (probably) a different buffer weight or buffer spring weight.

But having never actually done it? Mm, all I could do is research the subject on the Internet. :dunno:

I'd imagine that this sort of firearm would probably be most pleasant to work with while fitted with an NFA-style can, too. It would be like the difference between straight headers and an exhaust system with mufflers on an automobile engine.

Of course, sometimes it's fun to just make a little noise, too. :laugh2:

Of course, same as with everything else that's short out there, the firearm is not likely to match the performance of the same firearm with a longer barrel.

You know who I would bet will be able to tell us a lot about this particular subject-- cartridge and firearm both? @45WinMag, that's who. His idea of a "longer barrel" is somewhere in the 16-inch range... :laugh2:

But no: he's out fooling around with his new monster subsonic crazy-gun he bought, and is stiffing us when it comes to field reportage. :p

He'll be around. We'll spring this shit on him when he comes back.

--R :thumb:

Last edited:

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If I saw "Roberteaux' short stories collection" in a book store I'd buy it in an instant.

You are at your best with your "Slice of life" short stories....I don't think your writing style is suited for the longer novel length format. You pack so much detail into your writing that a novel in your style would be tedious.

Thank you also for the compliment, my friend-- but also, for the idea. You know, that's actually a very damned good idea... just, a bunch of self-contained vignettes. I've got a million of 'em-- all kinds of story ideas. Some are original concoctions, but most would be classified as a "roman a clef" if published because what I sometimes write about really was reality... but sometimes you have to bend stuff into shape. If I ever wrote an autobiography, I'd probably insist on it being published as fiction! :laugh2:

Just for yuks:

I spoke earlier of "eternal truths" in conjunction with writing. Well, Lord Byron, Mark Twain, and Saki Munro all commented on the same ideas, all in concurrence, when it came to how it really is for a writer...

But it was Tom Clancy who put it in a nutshell and tied it up with a cute little bow.

Early in his career, he was asked by an interviewer how he came up with some of his incredibly interesting plots, with so much of the stuff he was writing about being so cogent, and so very plausible, that he was able to bring it all to life for the reader.

Clancy sort of shrugged and didn't respond at first. So, the interviewer pressed on to ask him, "Well, what's the difference between reality and fiction?"

Clancy laughed as he replied, "The difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make sense!" :rofl:

But anyway: that's a very good idea you had up there... seriously. You know, it was kind of a jolt-- never even considered the perspective before... got me an eye-popper, there! :thumb:

Thanks again, man! :applause:

--R :hmm:

Latest Threads