Ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I was cleaning out my YT account last night and came across these videos of my grandson (who is now 21yo) shooting in the PA Steel Challenge Championship Match back in 2015. We both shoot this S&W MP15-22 rifle with a Vortex RD, in RFRO class.

Good times...

Last edited:

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
A few months before the Steel Match.. he's shooting a stage in the pistol part of a 3-Gun Match (Action Pistol).
He's shooting my Springfield Armory 1911 Range Officer in 9mm.

Who

Well respected man about town
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What’s the circles near the bottoms of the target?

36D7CD62-162F-4E81-AE58-CA513139EF26.jpeg

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
What’s the circles near the bottoms of the target?

View attachment 572546
I have heard that they can be used in a couple different ways, the most popular being either "no shoot" areas (penalties apply), or as specific targets that must contain at least one round each to qualify the target for scoring. There may be other uses, but what - I have no clue.

I've never participated in any match that actually uses them. They just happen to be on the stock pulled for this event.

Reactions: Who

Bownse

Reaction score
When my youngest came of age he bought a Colt 1991A.
At the range he wanted me to take the first shot. Target at seven yards IIRC.

Held it at waist level. “Like this?” Blam!
The shot went right in the heart box on the silhouette.
”Gee dad, you’re dangerous!”
Combat stance: next shots tracked to the left and off the paper.
Shoulda stopped after one shot. :dunno:
Usedf to live in the country where the dam at the pond was less than a mile away. My neighbor and I would reload all week and shoot on the weekend. Lots of practice meant I got better. A range session with my brother and I ended with him shooting the next-to-last cylinder of ammo in my Ruger Redhawk 44 mag. I then loaded it up and did a very quick, 1 handed dump (25 yards with my younger eyes) all into 1 hole. He told me FU and started loading up his stuff.

Better (maybe?) was the walk to the pond where I was wearing my Ruger Blackhawk in 30 Carbine on a cowboy rig. As we walked, I tossed out a small medicine bottle and from about 5-7 yards did a quick draw. I'd never done one before and the pistol went off before I was "ready". Scared the heck out of me and I never did it again but I nailed the little plastic bottle and acted like it was planned.

sonar1

Reaction score
Danger danger :run:

Once at an IDPA match we had to exit the back seat of a car and shoot prone under the open front door. The farthest targets had “no shoot” victims plastered diagonally across their fronts, covering half the center mass hit zone.
I opted for head shots instead because a hit on a no shoot was a stiffer points penalty than a miss.
Nailed them (to my surprise).

When the RO was counting off my score the distance targets were last. He finished the count and said “show off!” :fingersx:

I loved my well used Wilson Combat Elite Professional!
Should never have offed it, but got too old for 24lb recoil springs.

Couldn’t ever do that again, I’m sure.

Last edited:

Roberteaux

The Immoderator
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Still plugging away down here in the ol' ammo factory. But now I'm loading a cartridge type that I never bothered with before: 7.62 x39mm Russian.

The obvious reason that I never bothered with the shit was that all along, it was much less expensive to just buy Russian, Eastern Euro, and Chicom ammo-- and that's despite the fact that there was no reloading the shit.

I remember that the day I bought my first AK-- a Maadi RML-- I also picked up a 720-round ham can of Chinese shit for something like... 62 bucks? Or was it 79?

Whatever it was, it was dirt cheap. But then along came the ban on Chinese ammo imports... and next thing I knew, I was mostly shooting Yugo and Russian shit.

I still have one round of the Chicom shit left. I just keep it around for posterity. :p

And of course, you can *still* get Russian-made ammo... or at least, you'll be able to get it for a while. It will be out there until the considerably large stocks already in the US are finally depleted.

But as I pointed out a month ago: that's no big deal. Right now those industrious elves in Bosnia-Herzegovina-- as represented by a company known as Igman-- are pumping and dumping LOTS of 7.62 x39mm Russian cartridges on the US market.

And it's some really good shit. Non-magnetic, 123-grain shit, that's pretty hot on top of all else. Like, your Warsaw Pact standard for 7.62 x39mm ammo entailed a standard velocity of no less than about 2300+ fps. So, if you chrono must of the Russian shit out there, you're gonna see something like about 2350 fps, with an SD of maybe 30 fps on each side of the standard.

This Igman shit is hotter than that. It's coming out the snout at around 2550, though I have no idea what the SD for the cartridge type averages out to be... yet. :thumb:

Best of all, the shit is fully reloadable: brass cartridge cases with Boxer primers.

***************​

Contrary to the myth, you CAN reload Berdan-primed cartridge types-- so long as the casing is sufficiently malleable (i.e., brass) and it's not actually a big deal to do so. It's scoring the little fuckers that was and is a pain in the ass. Plus, atop that particular dilemma came the fact that steel cases don't respond too well to resizing and aren't good for reloading.

Add to all that the astronomical price of Berdan-primed brass cartridge cases-- which were scarce as a live amoeba in a pot of boiling water, even back in the day-- and all that, while we were enjoying a veritable glut of cheap-but-does-the-job ammo... and shit man: who the hell would bother with reloading the shit?

But now things are changing somewhat. Not only are the Bosnians out there selling that hot-ass Igman shit, but their former rivals, the Serbians, are likewise spewing factory-new, brass-cased, Boxer primed, fully reloadable 7.62 x39mm as well. And this brand arrives under the name of Belom.

Just in case anybody gives a shit: when it comes to velocity and typical performance, this Belom shit is pretty much just a brass-cased clone of the Warsaw Pact standard shit. They're listing muzzle velocity at about 2350.

Both of these cartridge types are more expensive per round than what's left of the Russian shit. However, because the cartridge cases are reloadable, and individual components are less expensive to purchase per part than what you're paying for the same sub-assembly in a factory cartridge, in the end I will indeed save a pile of money by reloading this shit instead of buying factory carts.

But that's not really the point of the exercise in my particular case.

Instead, the deal with me is that I will NOT run out of ammunition or be disarmed under any circumstances whatsoever short of some End-of-the-World kinda deal.

Shit, I was actually into stockpiling components well before the big ammo crunch of 2011-2013, and after seeing just how bad it really could be in that episode, I piled shit up deeper and faster than ever before.

And guess what? I'm gonna be doing the same thing with the original AK round now as well.

***************​

I have already acquired a sizeable heap of brass, both by purchasing a lot of Igman ammo, but also because I'm part of a kind of network of reloading smurfs who actually score shit for each other-- to then barter it off among one another-- I already got my hands on 500 rounds of once-fired brass that one of my fellow smurfs located at a gun show in St. Petersburg.

My main stock-in-trade is powder. You can't get a fucking primer from me under almost any circumstances whatsoever, but if what you want is Good Shit powder, I have a ton of it. I actually had to upgrade my permit with the county Fire Marshal as my inventory surpassed 70 pounds of various smokeless powders.

Good damned thing that I'm in an agricultural-business zone. If I lived within city limits, it would have been hard to get the same permit... and I'd be paying one HELL of a lot more for it, too. Plus, I could only be in a business zone to store the amounts that have come to be routine for me.

What's even crazier is this: because those powders I chose to stock came to be the same powders that were hardest to obtain during these bleak days of Ammo Crunch II, I have been trading at a consistent-- though not indecent-- profit.

Example: everybody and his brother who shoots H335-- and there's a lot of 'em out there, because H335 is really just the canister version of WC844, which is the powder the US military loads into its 5.56mm NATO shit-- seems to be a little nutty for the shit. You see, this is what you'll be using if you wish to end up with a bunch of clones of M193 and M855 cartridges for your AR rifle.

So, it's popular. But even though it's made right here in Florida, the shit is scarce right now.

***************​

Even worse are some of the magnum rifle powders. Just the other day on Gunjoker, I saw that H1000-- which was the powder that the US military was using for .300 Winchester Magnum carts until Sig-Sauer won the new ammo contract last year-- is very, very difficult to get.

Why? It's because the shit was manufactured in Australia, this time by ADI, and when the pandemic hit, the Aussies got to where they were only producing enough shit to feed their own military.

In fact, they're *still* not up to speed when it comes to production. And so about 20 or so *very* popular smokeless powder types are scarcely seen, and are found only as "new old stock".

Now, I have eight pounds of this H1000 shit sitting around. Imagine how shocked I was when I saw a Gunjoker auction for 2 pounds of the shit ending up with the winner paying over 300 bucks a pound! :shock:

You know what I paid for my 8-pound jug? I got it as an even swap for 4 pounds of H335. The deal there was that the guy who had the sealed container of H1000 almost never even uses it because it's magnum rifle shit and he's gotten to the point in life where he no longer enjoys the beating you sometimes get with extremely high-powered rifle cartridges... and so he mostly shoots .243 Winchester, with its very polite, 10-pound recoil out of a bolt gun.

BUT, the guy is also freaky about loading up military clones. I have told him at least 800 times that actually, if he wants performance that exceeds that of M193 milspec or M855 NATO, this H335 shit is not the shit to go to.

He doesn't care. He doesn't want to fuck with weirdo powders from Belgium, even if they make H335 pale in comparison in terms of sheer performance, and he wants that shit so bad that he'll trade 2 for 1... even though H1000 is SO much more expensive when it comes to market prices, and even less available when it comes to scoring the shit.

So that's how badly he wanted H335. And by the way: the deal was HIS offer, not my asking value.

I've even sold a bunch of powder back to the guys I originally bought it from-- though I guess "sold" is the wrong word, seeing as what I did was to trade with them, to barter.

I also left them a *lot* of room for profit. Like, I probably could have gouged for more, but the thing is this: these guys have access to shit that I would have found unimaginable until they finally let me into the local clique that they tend to actually take care of.

I was a customer of theirs for almost ten years before that happened, and holy shit, man: I had NO idea just how far and wide our network actually goes. Those guys have connections out the ass, both with factory reps as well as with other commercial suppliers of reloading supplies.

I want to be able to maintain my fortunate position and relationship with those guys. So, I cut 'em some shit off that was fat and juicy, and they made a pile of money at the gun shows.

Example: I had five unopened, one-pound canisters of Hodgdon's very popular Trail Boss smokeless powder that ended up in the pile during my busy beaver years between 2013 and now. I paid 29 bucks per 9-ounce canister of that shit... price tags were still affixed to the lids...

However, this Trail Boss shit is made by (you guessed it) ADI in Australia, and so of course it's pretty much gone at this particular moment in time.

It's a powder that has about one million uses. It was developed to serve as a low-velocity, high-volume form of single-based smokeless that would replicate the performance of black powder (but without all the goddamned smoke). This stuff went over the top with the guys who are into Single Action Shooting Sports and other "cowboy-type" firearms competitions.

But it also appealed to guys like me, as we found that we could use this shit to create subsonic cartridges that God and Winchester never intended to be subs... and the shit worked like a champ, too.

So, while talking to my main guys, I found that they'd trade crazy just to get some of that Trail Boss shit. They could fetch an easy 150 bucks at gun shows-- and it would sell out in minutes... maybe even in seconds!

They wanted to pay me fat cash for the shit. I turned down the offer and instead told them that I'd trade the shit for other shit-- and at half the price they just offered me in cash.

Eyebrows went up. You know, my man probably paid about 15 bucks per 9-ounce canister, and then about doubled his money when he sold it to me. And now there I am telling this guy that he can have the shit for a 50-buck trade involving no cash at whatsoever.

So, he makes abut 100 bucks on powder he already made money on... while trading off shit that cost him less than what we're calling par value. In other words, while I got 50 bucks worth of stuff for that 9-ounce canister of powder, the shit I'm trading for sure didn't cost him 50 bucks.

He looks at me suspiciously. You know, it took those guys a REALLY long time to warm up to me. Both were extremely suspicious of me at first, but not for thinking I was ATF or any of that shit. Instead, they just didn't like the look of me, and found it alarming that I turned out to be one of their two biggest customers. Like, what was I doing with all that shit anyway?

So now he wants to know: why am I not making the 90 bucks he just offered me? My answer is that one 9-ounce canister of Trail Boss is sufficient for my needs for maybe about 5 years per canister. I only use it for certain types of experiments, but it's nothing that I'd ever personally need a whole lot of... though I don't want to be totally OUT of it either, if I can help it.

So: why am I cutting him so much slack?

My answer was simple: it's because he's my main man when it comes to reloading components, and ever since I got a load of just how far and wide his connections actually go, about the last thing I want to do is to fail to maintain what I'd call a healthy business relationship with him.

"You've looked up to see me coming through the door and joked, 'Oh boy-- here comes the rent!' before, correct?" I asked him.

He nodded. As I said, there have been times when the guy wigged out because I walked in there and back out with about 700 bucks worth of shit in my arms.

So I told him what it was like from my perspective: he actually smurfs for me sometimes, he gives me prices that are actually sane without trying to gouge my eyeballs out, and he always did treat me like that-- even back when he suspected I was probably actually fronting for about a platoon of other guys.

I concluded, "Well... I believe that one good turn deserves another. I'm happy to think that you're gonna get yourself an easy hundred-buck-per-canister profit for yourself, there... but man, I'm even happier that I've got you backing me when it comes to my habit of really piling up the munitions. You make my life about 20 times easier like that, bro. Think of whatever profit you might get at the show off this powder-- and consider it to be a tip from me... a gesture of good will and thanks."

His response was to say, "You are easily the weirdest motherfucker I ever met in my entire life... but what makes it really bad is that you always seem to make perfect sense to me!"

I laughed and said, "Eh, business... right?"

He told me that he'd forgo his usual profit margin on some of the shit I wanted to barter for... and he was good when it came to his word on that.

He's also a bit like a really good bartender, in that he tends to remember what most of his clients are good for when it comes to what they want to purchase. And so he's even been doing a lot of smurfing for me. Some guy came to him at a gun show with a big box full of components for .270 Win for sale... and he picked all that shit up for cheap and gave it to me nearly for free.

Like I said: I need to keep this guy in business... but the effort has paid some unexpected, and unusually sizeable dividends. My last six weeks have been one long flurry of trades and so forth... it has been perfectly amazing!

So, it's a bunch of trades like that one that turned my 50-pound powder stock (which Dave observed when he visited my home one time) into something somewhere between 75 and 100 pounds... and to be sure: I never lost money, not even on a single trade.

I just didn't make a direct monetary profit. But that this point, I've got so much shit going on down here now that some guys wouldn't believe it. :laugh2:

Oh, but I was gonna talk about this latest trip I've got going-- with me loading up 7.62 x39mm Russian for the first time in my life.

It's a very, very interesting cartridge to mess with. Not as interesting as something like .300 WM because of the more limited performance envelope when it comes to projectile weights, velocities, and so forth... but still a bit of fun.

This post got long, though... just kinda rambling, exercising my typing fingers-- thinking aloud, though silently.

Next post, I'll show what-all the deal becomes, when you're loading that shit up.

That is, the next post from me is likely to be tech, tech, tech.

--R :thumb:

Last edited:

Bownse

Reaction score
Still kick myself for not snagging a bud's R Blackhawk in .30 Car.
The most piercing report of any firearm I've owned. Shooting near dusk shows huge gouts of flame from the cyl gap, shooting out on either side of the revover. :D That and a Davis Derringer in .38 Special can be quite the light show.

Reactions: ehb

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The most piercing report of any firearm I've owned. Shooting near dusk shows huge gouts of flame from the cyl gap, shooting out on either side of the revover. :D That and a Davis Derringer in .38 Special can be quite the light show.

I've a Glock 24C witht he original compensated barrel.... Glock at one time would swap em out for solids but not me... Shoots too well with the four ports...

24C slide is milled out in a big oval towards muzzle. The long ass barrel has four graduated ports along the top longitudinal axis... Soooo, when projectile travels down bore, the gases are bled upward in four graduations.... Almost zero movement of handgun from recoil/gas release... 24C is longer than the 34&35....

I don't see the ports blast when shooting it but with somebody else shooting and me standing behind a shoulder, I can see all four blasts shooting up as the projectile passes the ports and they bleed gas....... Looks cool as hell... Never shot it at night but I would expect it to be spectacular with four blasts UP and one blooming at muzzle...

1637342574363.png

Latest Threads