Ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if I'd want a frag. I want some penetration and big channel to make it quick and painless for the critter....

This is one of the all time baddest factory rounds out there.... Devastating... It hits hard...real hard...

Remington Core-Lokt is a tried and true round.... There are others for sure but this is my goto for deer and coyote.... Penetration and shroom....

1636673683778.png

scott1970

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I took my wife to the range, and she shot a .38 Super 1911 for the first time. She shot really well with it and liked it a lot. We went back to the range Wednesday after I kept pestering her to shoot the Dan Wesson. I offered to take another .38 Super to entice her to agree.

She used to own a Colt commander in .45 acp which was one of her favorites. After we finished shooting Wednesday she told me she wants a commander in .38 Super. All mine have been government models, but I'd certainly like to have a commander in the safe. I'm now trying to talk her into a Les Baer Comanche. My fallback plan is to eventually surprise her with one if I can't talk her into it. Could it be a bit self-serving? Maybe.

Bownse

Reaction score
I had a 629 .44Mag... I shot heavy loads in it until I finally had had enough.... Stung every time I pulled trig... Traded it for a mint 1903 Springfield Mk I.... Guy wanted my shiny wheeler more than the rifle... I had $300 in the 629. ;)

Shoot enough 'big' and you tend to get it out of your system.... The 629, 300WinMag with bear loads, and a high dollar super fancy super LIGHTWEIGHT .45-70 Winchester broke me from sucking eggs...
This is why I always preferred the Ruger Redhawk to the Smith 29. Beefier to handle heavier loads but also mitigates recoil. At a set of Packmayers (mine came with them) and it's even better.

Reactions: ehb

Bownse

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I took my wife to the range, and she shot a .38 Super 1911 for the first time. She shot really well with it and liked it a lot. We went back to the range Wednesday after I kept pestering her to shoot the Dan Wesson. I offered to take another .38 Super to entice her to agree.

She used to own a Colt commander in .45 acp which was one of her favorites. After we finished shooting Wednesday she told me she wants a commander in .38 Super. All mine have been government models, but I'd certainly like to have a commander in the safe. I'm now trying to talk her into a Les Baer Comanche. My fallback plan is to eventually surprise her with one if I can't talk her into it. Could it be a bit self-serving? Maybe.
I had a commander. Spent more than the cost of the pistol with an American Handgunner "Top 50" 1911 smiths in the country. Never could MAKE it reliable. Traded it for a HD Sportster (one POS for another). My next Commander-like 1911 was the Kimber Pro Carry II in blued. Never a bobble.

Reactions: ehb

Roberteaux

The Immoderator
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have a Rock Island Armory (Armscor) "compact" model, which is basically just a clone of the Officer's Model as delivered by Colt.

In the beginning, it gave me a hard way to go... lots of FTF malfs with anything other than 230-grain FMJ shit. I didn't mind it *that* much, seeing as about the only thing I'd ever carry in a .45 ACP is that 230-grain military shit. But it still irked me that it wouldn't feed bullet styles such as truncated cone types and so forth...

I finally hit the opening to the chamber with a Dremel, and rounded the shoulders, as they were very sharp. Then I went ahead and polished the whole mess up, including the feed ramp.

Viola! Now it would load shit like 180-grain truncated cone loads without failure! :thumb:

Had a lot of fun with the .45 at the range after that... but then it started to provide me with FTE malfunctions... WTF?

Turned out that it was just a worn-out recoil spring causing the trouble. Because I've never really been all that hot on semiautomatic handguns, I wasn't aware that it's pretty common for an Officer's Model spring to quickly wear out, as it's a 24-pound spring that's usually only good for maybe 1500 rounds before you need to replace it.

Replaced the spring, and shit man-- that sucker runs so well that I actually bought a shoulder rig for it, just in case it comes to pass that I decide to carry .45 ACP instead of my usual .44 Special for whatever reason.

I bought three extra springs for it since then. I don't know how many rounds I've fired through that handgun, but once I got my head wrapped around the proper care and feeding of the type I can say this much as least: I'm less unfond of semiautomatic handguns than ever before.

Which doesn't sound like much, I know. But it's quite a change for me, personally.

--R

Last edited:

45WinMag

Reaction score
Weather is turning cooler, so I have switched from my Glock 26 (or Smith J-frame if I'm just walking around the neighborhood in shorts and t-shirt) to my Gen 4 Glock 19.

Did a few things to it this week. It already had a threaded stainless Dasan barrel (picked up on clearance several years ago, and I typically have an AAC TiRant mounted when the pistol is at home) and XS Big Dot sights.

I swapped the trigger for an Overwatch Precision and switched to an extra-power trigger spring, so the trigger feels the same as my Polymer 80 builds. I did the 25 cent polish job several years ago.

I also wanted a Ghost bullet slide release like my Polymer 80 builds. Decided to go ahead and do a pin kit since I was already changing the slide release.

Undercut the trigger guard, removed the finger grooves, and minimized the thumb rests - feels much better now. Didn't want to stipple, so I just wrapped it with a Talon grip (used Gen 5 since the finger grooves are gone).

scott1970

Reaction score
I just returned from a range trip with the Dan Wesson. I'm not a braggart, but I'm going to share this target. This was my first shot from fifteen yards with a one hand hold and my homemade wheel weight ammo. I realize luck played a big part, but it speaks to the ability of the gun.

In full disclosure, I tried to replicate the shot, but the closest I came was to cutting the black edge twice.

And it's real hard to beat the bulk paper plate targets from Costco.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just returned from a range trip with the Dan Wesson. I'm not a braggart, but I'm going to share this target. This was my first shot from fifteen yards with a one hand hold and my homemade wheel weight ammo. I realize luck played a big part, but it speaks to the ability of the gun.

In full disclosure, I tried to replicate the shot, but the closest I came was to cutting the black edge twice.

And it's real hard to beat the bulk paper plate targets from Costco.

Been there... Bowled a 175 my first ever game.... It went to shit from there...

scott1970

Reaction score
Been there... Bowled a 175 my first ever game.... It went to shit from there...
I once watched a man bowl a 300 at a local place. The guy went to the counter to collect all the free swag featured in a case for anyone who could do so. It included a jacket, glove and a variety of other items. Management came out and declared the lane to be improperly waxed, and they didn't let him have his prize.

sonar1

Reaction score
When my youngest came of age he bought a Colt 1991A.
At the range he wanted me to take the first shot. Target at seven yards IIRC.

Held it at waist level. “Like this?” Blam!
The shot went right in the heart box on the silhouette.
”Gee dad, you’re dangerous!”
Combat stance: next shots tracked to the left and off the paper.
Shoulda stopped after one shot. :dunno:

Latest Threads