Ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

scott1970

Reaction score
Between the two I have to go with the Remington 870 Police Marine Magnum. It has the upgrades of the police magnum combined with the features of the 870 marine. Davidson's got with Remington and released a handful of them a few years back. This is the one I carried before our previous chief made us do away with shotguns.

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My brother who is a lifelong hunter convinced me the Mossberg 500 is a great gun. He has some crazy high-power hunting rifles and has owned numerous shotguns. The Mossberg is the most reliable pump he's owned and he's had several over the years. He told me the Mossberg can get dumped in the snow & swamp and early morning saltwater mist while duck hunting, and always works.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 500 has run a lot of bumpy fire lanes and across pulp wood scrub rattling around in the back of a truck... (yeah, cleared)

Can’t tear em up.

Seven

Reaction score
I have a 590A1 that is outstanding.
  • Gauge: 12 Gauge
  • Capacity: 8+1
  • Barrel Length: 20"
  • Overall Length: 41"
  • Choke Tubes: Cylinder Bore
  • Sights: XS Ghost Ring/AR-Style
  • Additional Info: Tri-Rail Forend/Clean-Out Tub, Heavy Wall Barrel, Metal Trigger Guard & Safety
  • Mil-spec construction.
  • Parkerized finish of heavy-walled barrel with cylinder bore.
  • Metal trigger guard and safety buttons.
  • XS Ghost Ring/AR-Style sights.
  • Black synthetic stock and tri-rail forend.
IMG_4176.jpg

mtgguitar

Reaction score
Rifle used in the Movie Wind River (2017).

"The rifle in the movie is a Marlin Model 1895SBL. This weapon is chambered in . 45-70 Government, and has a 6 round capacity. It is a very sleek looking weapon, as I'm sure you noticed in the movie, but it is also an excellent big game rifle." Marlin says it's weatherproof.

Last edited:

scott1970

Reaction score
I got rained out, but I did get to shoot a hair over one-hundred rounds through the duty gun. Also, I ran out of my regular targets and had to result to the ones I call my "Angry Jerry Garcia" targets.

This .45-70 is a bit different from the SBL pictured above. This one is an STP which is a trapper version with a 16.25" barrel. Based on sales, this is the most valuable gun I currently own.

In this pile of .45-70s that were at my range one afternoon, there were several SBL guns present. The center stainless rifle is a Grizzly Custom's model. The upgrades to the rifle cost more than the gun itself at the time. Not mine.

Seven

Reaction score
Rifle used in the Movie Wind River (2017).

"The rifle in the movie is a Marlin Model 1895SBL. This weapon is chambered in . 45-70 Government, and has a 6 round capacity. It is a very sleek looking weapon, as I'm sure you noticed in the movie, but it is also an excellent big game rifle." Marlin says it's weatherproof.

Mine has taken many hogs. :dude:

IMG_0965.JPG

Seven

Reaction score
I got rained out, but I did get to shoot a hair over one-hundred rounds through the duty gun. Also, I ran out of my regular targets and had to result to the ones I call my "Angry Jerry Garcia" targets.

This .45-70 is a bit different from the SBL pictured above. This one is an STP which is a trapper version with a 16.25" barrel. Based on sales, this is the most valuable gun I currently own.

In this pile of .45-70s that were at my range one afternoon, there were several SBL guns present. The center stainless rifle is a Grizzly Custom's model. The upgrades to the rifle cost more than the gun itself at the time. Not mine.

The trapper is on my list. :D

sonar1

Reaction score
My .45-70 kicked the shit out of me. 6-7 rounds and I was done for the day.
Recoil never used to bother me. Still doesn’t much in hand guns.

12ga shotgun is fine.
My rifle is now .223. That’ll have to do.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My .45-70 kicked the shit out of me. 6-7 rounds and I was done for the day.
Recoil never used to bother me. Still doesn’t much in hand guns.

12ga shotgun is fine.
My rifle is now .223. That’ll have to do.
I don’t mind a heavy rifle big bore.... I shot a bud’s high dollar Winchester feather weight with all the fancy engraving and gold. Oh my homey jeebus that thing beat on me. Hot load big bore and a featherweight platform is not my kind of town.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Worse than shooting that titanium weigh nuttin .357mag snub with .357mag rounds. .38Special was ok but not mag rounds.. I handed it back to my bud.... Hell naw.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try this crappy plastic thing. Hardest kicking pistol I ever shot (.357).....hate it.

View attachment 510564
Yep.
I'll shoot 357 out of my SP101 snubby all day long.
I shot 5 rounds through my Scandium Airweight.
Ouch.
I shot 5 more, trying to adjust my grip.
My thumb was bleeding from the cylinder release hitting my knuckle, and my hand was bruised and swollen for a month... pretty sure I broke something... couldn't touch my thumb to my pinky.
I don't even like firing .38 out of it.

sonar1

Reaction score
Not gun related....sorry....

This little dog was walking down my road today. We're going to get her back to health and take care of her.

No tag. No chip. Skin, fur, teeth, and nails in really bad shape.

She’s an old lady. I got her in to get the nails cut. They were curled and an inch beyond her paws. She’s been neglected for a while.

She’s in a warm garage tonight...
Good on ya mate! :dude::applause:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Light gun ain’t no fun mochine, mang...

Reactions: Who

JonCanfield

Random Yahoo
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not gun related....sorry....

This little dog was limping down my road today. We're going to get her back to health and take care of her.

No tag. No chip. Skin, fur, teeth, and nails in really bad shape.

She’s an old lady. I got her in to get the nails cut. They were curled and an inch beyond her paws. She’s been neglected for a while.

She’s in a warm garage tonight (outside temp freezing). She is very polite and not skittish at all so far.

View attachment 510566
Good for you. I wish more people were like that, the world would be a hell of a lot better place

Latest Threads