Ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

Fiat Lux

Reaction score
Not sure how to caption this pic, so I'll just use it as thread bump to get it back on page 1. :)

View attachment 501205
I imagine that involves a certain level of discomfort for the cat...

But on the other hand... seriously ingenious! I mean, one would never suspect the military guy in black, in the helmet, lying prone, behind the cat, had a gun...

cheers.

Deftone

Reaction score
Just found out today that the CMP 1911 program is still going and I might have another shot at getting a Military Surplus 1911.

I had one 1911 for the Battery Commander in my arms room at Ft. Campbell back in the late '80's. It would be so cool to own one. I already have a couple nice 1911's, but this would be truly special.

JonCanfield

Reality is over rated
Reaction score
Just found out today that the CMP 1911 program is still going and I might have another shot at getting a Military Surplus 1911.

I had one 1911 for the Battery Commander in my arms room at Ft. Campbell back in the late '80's. It would be so cool to own one. I already have a couple nice 1911's, but this would be truly special.

That was my issue gun in '75. Didn't shoot worth a damn. I thought all 1911s were bad until I shot one that still had a barrel

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was my issue gun in '75. Didn't shoot worth a damn. I thought all 1911s were bad until I shot one that still had a barrel
Same with grandpa's 1903 .32
Crazy... it's nice and heavy, but kicks HARD for a little .32, and the thing can't hit the broad side of a barn from inside the barn.

I replaced the springs and cleaned it up, but it's not worth replacing the barrell... sentimental value only, it'll never be more than a $300 gun.

sonar1

Reaction score
Yeah I don’t think they even case-hardened them during WWII.
The issue 1911 I had in ‘Nam rattled. It was a Remington-Rand.
Back in the ‘50’s Army/Navy stores sold ‘em for $4.95.
They got popular with bullseye shooters who would squeeze the slides in a vise, and/or pean the frame rails to tighten ‘em up and try to make accuracy better (but reliability suffered).
I have since found and bought another WWII vintage Remington-Rand, for nostalgia’s sake. Paid too much, but that’s how it goes for provenance.

Last edited:

scott1970

Reaction score
A man came into the gun store Thursday morning to do a transfer, because he got drawn to purchase a CMP 1911. I had been somewhat interested in them until I saw the prices.

Bownse

Reaction score

It's simply a matter of how MUCH rattle you can live with. ;)

Deftone

Reaction score

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
A man came into the gun store Thursday morning to do a transfer, because he got drawn to purchase a CMP 1911. I had been somewhat interested in them until I saw the prices.
Yep.
The collectors have ruined the entire purpose of the CMP.
We knew the 1911's were going to be a shitshow from the start, but even the Garands... anything usable that is worthy of being in a "Marksmanship Program" is more costly than the open market, simply because it's "vintage"
You'll do better at the C&R tables at the local gun show.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yep.
The collectors have ruined the entire purpose of the CMP.
We knew the 1911's were going to be a shitshow from the start, but even the Garands... anything usable that is worthy of being in a "Marksmanship Program" is more costly than the open market, simply because it's "vintage"
You'll do better at the C&R tables at the local gun show.
This... was a time when you could get a great Garand from CMP for about $250. But, they were overbought. I got one last year for my grandson's Christmas present, paid $750. Ugh.

The 1911 program is fucked. Way overpriced, even for "vintage".

Sad

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Picked up a new plinker today. I have enough .22 to last my lifetime so I'm gonna be shooting this a lot and sitting on my stockpile of other calibers.

View attachment 502014
A PC Victory? Nice score. I had the opportunity to shoot a regular Victory when they fist came out and just loved it. The PC version has to be super nice.

Well done!
:applause: :applause: :applause:

smk506

Reaction score
This... was a time when you could get a great Garand from CMP for about $250. But, they were overbought. I got one last year for my grandson's Christmas present, paid $750. Ugh.

The 1911 program is fucked. Way overpriced, even for "vintage".

Sad
It is sad. Completely defeats the purpose of the program too. I wish a gun manufacturer would/could come out with a solid shooting, cheap, no frills rifle to sell cheaply through cmp.

Those would probably just get gobbled up though, and end up on gun show tables for tidy profits within a month.

The shooting community is the best community, but we’re our own enemy sometimes.

Latest Threads