Ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have no idea why and I am certainly not looking a gift horse in the mouth, but I am thrilled that 12ga shells are not only plentiful, but they can still be had, in quantity, for “usual pricing “.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
9mm is currently available at ammoman, but what's being sold are packages of 50 rounds only-- though I don't see him saying that there's a limit on purchases. As is sometimes the case with that particular vendor, the prices appear to be a bit high.

The shit he's got for sale is Magtech 147's for $35.50/50, along with S&B 124's at $41/50.

There's quite a bit of 9mm ammo available from numerous distributors to be found on ammoseek.com at this moment... I was actually surprised to see how much was out there when compared to last week. And I'm seeing lots of 500 and 1,000 cartridges at some vendors, instead of just boxes of 50...

...though some of the larger lots of ammunition are being sold as reloads (or remanufactured, if you will).

Have a look:

9mm Luger on Ammoseek

It was rather more than I was actually expecting to see.

--R
Holy shit... $35.50/box = $710/case - wow! That’s about 4X why I usually paid for a case.

...we still have a long way to go.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hoarders don’t know what they’re missing. When the last AR and Glock is broken, with no more parts or ammo available, the world will still be full of operable 12 gauge shotguns.

Plus.... I’m converting all of these to slugs. :)
I’m less concerned with SD, than I am with sport shooting. I’ll burn through 2 of those boxes at sporting clays, another 2 at trap, and a box at a steel shotgun match.

I want to continue enjoying those activities.

I cut out all my centerfire matches not just because of the “shortage”, but also the stupid (IMHO damn near criminal) price gouging.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I’ve been considering buying a 20 gauge shotgun, for all those times I see empty 12 ga shelves, but 20 ga available at pre-hoarding prices.
A friend just bought a Beretta A300 in 20ga. He has developed some arthritis in his shoulder and thought that lighter recoil might be less painful. I can't tell much of a difference, myself. But, he says it is less painful to shoot.

Anyway, the A300 is a very nice autoloader. I'm a Citori 725 shooter myself, but I do have the Beretta AL391 and I love it. The A300 seems to be based largely on that platform, more of an "entry level" model.

Around my way, 20ga shells are bit more pricy than 12ga. Go figure?!?!?!? They tend to run around $6+/box, vs. $5+/box for 12ga.

Opinions are like assholes... while I liked the shotgun, its harder to shoot sporting clays (especially the fast moving distant targets) with a 20ga, for me. I noticed no difference with 16yard Trap. But, I assume 20ga might be unusable out past 20yards in handicap though - and, also probably not a good doubles gun with target #2 further away.

Let us know what you end up with, if you get one. But, look at the A300.

sonar1

Reaction score
I’m less concerned with SD, than I am with sport shooting. I’ll burn through 2 of those boxes at sporting clays, another 2 at trap, and a box at a steel shotgun match.

I want to continue enjoying those activities.

I cut out all my centerfire matches not just because of the “shortage”, but also the stupid (IMHO damn near criminal) price gouging.
I’m down with trap & skeet presently, which was what I picked up again before I moved northward.
IDPA dried up first, then steel challenge and 3-gun, before our range in Soledad was kabashed by the town council.

Up here they shoot some USPSA, but presently my grandson and I are shooting clay pigeons, until our ammo stash gets too low.

Hopefully the new year will bring more ammo availability.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I really love Sporting Clays... we have a great course around here... it's about 90 mins from me (thank goodness, or I might just go every day)

Gary

Reaction score
I’ve been considering buying a 20 gauge shotgun, for all those times I see empty 12 ga shelves, but 20 ga available at pre-hoarding prices.
I used that logic in my latest firearm purchase. Every shop that I’ve gone to in search of ammo had SOME .243 and .270 Winchester ammo on the shelf. So when a local Pawn shop had a bolt action .270 for sale, I pounced. I pick it up tomorrow. It’s a Savage Stevens model 200 with a Redfield 4-12x40 scope. The rifle is new and unfired.

My state has a 10 day waiting period. While waiting, I picked up dies, bullets, brass, primers and powder as well as a few boxes of factory ammo. I feel like I won the lottery.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, my son and gf headed home last night now that momma’s funeral is done... I gave him one of my Garands to do HP matches up there... He was gassed... I then handed him my old 1100 in 12ga... Yep, I feel Ike, with the scoped 70, Garand, 1100, tubs of projectiles, jugs of powder, boxes of primers, I’ll have all kinds of ammo before long... His gf’s grandfather has a shot press too... :cool:

My eye is not well enough yet, sooo, I’ll let them reload for me...

I’m gradually feeding him my collection, instead dumping on him when I kick the bucket... I want him to appreciate each one individually, understand the system of each, and appreciate the workmanship and value... I’m looking forward to giving him a new in box one a deez Below I put back years back. Those damn things will drive tacks. Scary accurate. Accutrigger is great.... I love seeing his face... I knew when I was buying stuff, he would not have easy access to arms as I. He’s not sure what all I have... He’ll shit himself... Told him last night, he ain’t getting my camo 3 1/2” 870, my .50 smoke stick, Berettas, and some others till I’m gone... Now, he’s trying to figure out what ‘others’ consist of... Love it. :cool:

Nothing like seeing the joy in his eyes when I pass on a great piece that gave me a lot of fun... If we don’t pass along the love of the sports, respect and admiration of the workmanship, the science of shooting, and history, then who will? It’s on us to pass it on....

1603203776547.png

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
Jon there's a guy near me that is selling 3k @ $100 per......as you say that is high, but if you wanted, I would try to make it happen for you.

Still looking for more SPP and SRP. I can't believe they're going for upwards of $200 per 1K on gun broker. I thought $100 was bad. If anyone happens to get a line on them and even semi-reasonable prices - I'm not expecting to see the $30 prices I was paying, but I'm not paying scalper prices - I'd love to hear about it!

JonCanfield

Random Yahoo
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Lee. I think I've found some locally at $60, he should be getting back to me on that. Appreciate the heads up!

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
At least we have the thread... Other places, dipshits would have to be institutionalized from being so triggered they’d be all Mumbling Marvins....stumbling around and drooling and shit...

Some humerns ain’t....
For sure... and, I wasn't bitching. I get it completely, and I am happy as a clam... change is hard for me and not seeing this thread at the top of the page when I stroll in is "different".

I'm working though the issues, though.

Ih happier news... tomorrow is another Sporting Clays day for me, at LVSC's - Woot!

I have to avenge my failure to win last week!!!

LVSC_10-14-20.jpg

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My son called this morning... Still tickled giddy pink over the M1 and 1100 I gave him. He’s a good couple hours away but I was surprised he didn’t do below when he got home last night after momma’s funeral and family dinner after.
Anyway...
First thing he did was remove the thick camo zip covers on the 1100 and clean it the 1100 thoroughly. He freaked when he actually could see the wood and receiver. Wish I could have been there when he pulled the covers off. He’d never seen it without the hunting covers.
Second thing was thoroughly clean the Garand I gave him.
Third, texted me the picture of his bleeding finger. :laugh2:

I’ve told him and told him and even showed him NotFerFangerPokin zones on many of mine and those I’ve given him, and even his he bought...

I did ask just how the hell it was his finger and not his thumb. ‘Not watching where my finger was...’

Ok, I’m guilty as hell. I was HOPING for Garand Thumb to teach his ass to pay attention 100% of the time, even if in pieces being cleaned. No tv, no conversation with his dogs or even gf. PFATWTFYD! I’ll settle for finger... Yep. He’ll remember that shit for a long time....

I’ve schooled him, he’s a grown man, and extremely intelligent and knowledgeable ....BUT I think Garands are like Honey Badgers, sooner or later they gonna be bitin’ on yo ass for the pure hell of it...

yeatzee

Reaction score
SoCal resident here so things are rough, but waiting on the edge of my seat for the result of the AWB hearing going on right now with FPC. Same judge that ruled the 10 round cap unconsititutional giving us freedom week (it's that sad here) to buy standard cap mags during a short window. Looks like that may happen again with "assault weapons" (i.e. AR 15's with pistol grips and adjustable stocks). Don't own an AR but I will dros a lower and the parts asap if that gets passed to be grandfathered in. We'll see how that goes.

As for ammo, yeah there's zero. Everything has to be done via PPT, no guns, no ammo. I was able to pick these two up recently:

First handgun, first 308 rifle. Took them out to the range for the first time a couple weeks ago and had a blast, especially with the rifle. Have a long way to go with the handgun, but I've got a range close by to get better at. Don't have a ton of ammo, and had to pay a pretty penny to get what I do have, but it's something at least.

sonar1

Reaction score
SoCal resident here so things are rough...

... Have a long way to go with the handgun, but I've got a range close by to get better at. Don't have a ton of ammo, and had to pay a pretty penny to get what I do have, but it's something at least.
Handgun skills are perishable.
Dry firing with proper grip, sight picture, and trigger control helps a lot.
Be super safe though.
Even pistol rounds are hell on the drywall.
Doubly make sure.
Used to practice dry firing in a room with no ammo in it.
if it needs a magazine in it, get Snap-Caps practice substitutes.

yeatzee

Reaction score
Handgun skills are perishable.
Dry firing with proper grip, sight picture, and trigger control helps a lot.
Be super safe though.
Even pistol rounds are hell on the drywall.
Doubly make sure.
Used to practice dry firing in a room with no ammo in it.
if it needs a magazine in it, get Snap-Caps practice substitutes.
Yeah I bought a laser cartridge and a man sized target I set up in the house to practice on. I did a considerable amount of practice at home with that, dry firing with the laser and I felt really good with it before going to the range but once at the range all my shots were low left. It took about 50 rounds before I felt like I had a better grasp on it and was hitting roughly where I was aiming. Here was my grouping on the last mag @10 yards. Not great, not terrible.

I struggled with my grip, my thumb naturally rests on the slide release so the slide wouldn't stay locked back after my last round and when I pulled the trigger I would jerk pretty noticeably. Not sure how to get around that without lots of time getting comfortable with live rounds. I also practiced dry firing in double action mode way more since it's just pull the trigger and you're good, but now I know I need to get more comfortable with the single action trigger pull.

Latest Threads