Ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

Bownse

Reaction score
I got an XD9 (gen 1 duty sized) for no other reason that it was a host for my new can that I didn't mind if it broke (plastic, striker-fired, pivot trigger silliness). Turned out the the grip didn't feel as blocky as a Sig so that was a plus. Not much "craftsmanship" to it though, so clearly a "beat it up" design. Had to get tall sights for it to see them over the can or the OEM black ones dissappeared into the black background of the rear of the can.

JonCanfield

Reality is over rated
Reaction score
Sigs new nightmare series

Wouldn't mind having that P220. Not going to happen in CA though

Bownse

Reaction score
Contacxt Sig before ordering from anyone. I spent 7 months on the hook with Optics Planet as they kept slipping the 2-week arrival any time it got within a day of that first target. Finally called Sig and they said they hadn't even begun range testing yet.

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I know I sure was happy that Sig finally got their (5/8"-24 threaded) muzzle brake/quick connect for the SRD762-QD suppressor back in stock and available...

...it only took 'em 7 months! :laugh2:

At least Sig never BS'ed me about the lack of availability of the part, though. I saw the muzzle brake in question on Optics Planet, with the note that they were "Out of Stock, Backorder Okay" and got to wondering about that. :hmm:

That was the first time I called Sig Sauer on the phone. I mentioned the "backorder ok" thing on Optics Planet and wondered aloud how long it might be before backorders might be filled-- though I wasn't actually expecting an answer.

Still: there was a long pause on the other end of the line, and then the guy drawled, "If I were you, I wouldn't be holding my breath while waiting". :laugh2:

In the same conversation, I learned that I could just order the part directly from Sig Sauer anyway. I was placed on a waiting list maintained by the company. They'd shoot me an email when they had stock available for sale.

Things goofed up some anyway, though. For sure I was indeed placed on a list... and I was notified in email that the muzzle brakes threaded as 1/2 x 28 were once again available. Unfortunately, that wasn't the part I needed.

Checking on the Sig website, I found that the desired 5/8 x 24 brake was still out of stock!

So after that I just sat back and waited for the next email notification that they finally got the part I needed back in stock. But I never did receive such a notification.

Instead, only by happenstance, did I visit the site just to poke around... and found that (miracle of miracles!) the 5/8 x 24 brake was once again available from Sig Sauer...

Glad I caught that before they ran out of stock again! :shock:

--R

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
One more IDPA match - prob 130 rounds 9mm, one more 'class 3' (full/semi auto pistol caliber carbine) shoot - prob 80 rds 9mm (two short stages), and then one more steel shoot rimfire, prob 200-250 rds. Maybe one more IDPA or USPSA during winter....but otherwise I'm sitting on the ammo I have left.

I thinks will get back towards 'normal', but it will be a while. Will just have to practice more guitar.
I hear ya... I'm done with all centerfire pistol now. I'm done with 3G. I'm done with USPSA. I have a Halloween Zombie AR match coming up (125 rounds) that will end my .223 consumption.

I have enough 12ga to shoot Trap & Sporting Clays (and, it's replenishable at normal pricing, too) for the foreseeable future. And, all my Steel Challenge will have to be rimfire (RFRO/RFPO). I have a fuck ton of .22.lr. If I shoot that dry, we have a real problem.

MiniB

Reaction score
I hear ya... I'm done with all centerfire pistol now. I'm done with 3G. I'm done with USPSA. I have a Halloween Zombie AR match coming up (125 rounds) that will end my .223 consumption.

I have enough 12ga to shoot Trap & Sporting Clays (and, it's replenishable at normal pricing, too) for the foreseeable future. And, all my Steel Challenge will have to be rimfire (RFRO/RFPO). I have a fuck ton of .22.lr. If I shoot that dry, we have a real problem.
Yeah I might do some shotgun-only matches which are a lot of fun....essentially 3G stages shotgun only. Only thing is they usually incorporate some farther buckshot targets and that's the stuff that's in shorter supply and I'm trying to conserve. Maybe they won't for these because of the times.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yeah I might do some shotgun-only matches which are a lot of fun....essentially 3G stages shotgun only. Only thing is they usually incorporate some farther buckshot targets and that's the stuff that's in shorter supply and I'm trying to conserve. Maybe they won't for these because of the times.
The shottie matches here are all being held with only target loads for that very reason. No buckshot. A lot of knock down steel and clay throwing poppers. It's actually, fun - compared to the 3G shotgun stages.

MiniB

Reaction score
The shottie matches here are all being held with only target loads for that very reason. No buckshot. A lot of knock down steel and clay throwing poppers. It's actually, fun - compared to the 3G shotgun stages.
Agreed, it's kind of 'expanded' versions.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
I never understood two things...
Chicken winging
Leaning back

OK, Chicken winging... maybe someone who learned to shoot from a prone position and that's what they are comfortable with.

Leaning back?
Why put another 6" between your muzzle and the target?

lean-back.jpg

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm good with Jerry's presentation... that's probably pretty close to my stance.
I'm talking about when the elbow is level or above the barrel as the shot of the officer shows.

THDNUT

Reaction score
"I'm slow about the H&K photo. What am I not seeing?"

Me too. :dunno:

Last edited:

THDNUT

Reaction score
Welp I went to Cabela's yesterday and they had Remington 9mm FMJ for $13.99 and Winchester 9 mm FMJ for $14.99 with a three box limit.
They also had Aguilar "super extra" .22 LR for $27.99 for a 500 rd. box. No limit.

I didn't buy any since I have about 6,500 .22 LR and 1,500 9 mm.

Maybe the ammo shortage is starting to disappear.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have my lack of reloading time solved... My son (chef) loves shooting sports (brought him up right) and his gf’s (future wife) grandfather is a old shooter, old battle rifle nut, and a reloading wizard. (I’m thinking he’s a Marine but he doesn’t talk about himself much)... Owns a shitload of land, a sawmill he built to build his huge house, a 300yrd range, and reloading supplies/equipment from hell... He’s going to teach my son more about reloading, way past what I taught him and what little I know...

Son was down for a few days this past week (my mom passed), and when he and gf headed back home a couple hours north, he took two jugs of 335, two 4895, over a K of my tubbed Lake City .223/5.56 prepped brass, and over a K I think of .30-06 Nat Match brass, a quart sealed tub of 55gr Harnady, and several boxes of sm rifle primers... He wants to pick up some of my 7.62 Lapua boat tails to try too.... (factory closure dump sale for almost nuttin)

I’ll send him home next week after Moms funeral with sev K more brass, projectiles, and giving him one of my Garands to compete in high power matches up there...and a list of my calibers to load/buy. ;)

With what I’ve sent him home with and will soon, I think a loaded K of each of my calibers is fair. I already have a K+ of 147gr 9mm..so I’m good on that for

Yep, he and Pappy (gf’s gfather) will load my shitstorm stash...much quicker than my Chucker...

Pappy and my son have planted all kinds of stuff, including tea, up there on his huge farm... He told son, his land was the rally point if it ever goes that way, all kinds of veg, fruit, etc., for barter, all equipment ever needed, all ammo ever needed for decades, next to impossible to find, and only one way in...us welcome to... Good influence on my son...

He needs to get to reloading....and buying up .17, .22, .22Mag....

Some 12ga slugs too...

I’ll still load my paper punching .223 and .30-06...

Latest Threads