Ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yeah I might do some shotgun-only matches which are a lot of fun....essentially 3G stages shotgun only. Only thing is they usually incorporate some farther buckshot targets and that's the stuff that's in shorter supply and I'm trying to conserve. Maybe they won't for these because of the times.
The shottie matches here are all being held with only target loads for that very reason. No buckshot. A lot of knock down steel and clay throwing poppers. It's actually, fun - compared to the 3G shotgun stages.

MiniB

Reaction score
The shottie matches here are all being held with only target loads for that very reason. No buckshot. A lot of knock down steel and clay throwing poppers. It's actually, fun - compared to the 3G shotgun stages.
Agreed, it's kind of 'expanded' versions.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never understood two things...
Chicken winging
Leaning back

OK, Chicken winging... maybe someone who learned to shoot from a prone position and that's what they are comfortable with.

Leaning back?
Why put another 6" between your muzzle and the target?

lean-back.jpg

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm good with Jerry's presentation... that's probably pretty close to my stance.
I'm talking about when the elbow is level or above the barrel as the shot of the officer shows.

THDNUT

Reaction score
"I'm slow about the H&K photo. What am I not seeing?"

Me too. :dunno:

Last edited:

THDNUT

Reaction score
Welp I went to Cabela's yesterday and they had Remington 9mm FMJ for $13.99 and Winchester 9 mm FMJ for $14.99 with a three box limit.
They also had Aguilar "super extra" .22 LR for $27.99 for a 500 rd. box. No limit.

I didn't buy any since I have about 6,500 .22 LR and 1,500 9 mm.

Maybe the ammo shortage is starting to disappear.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have my lack of reloading time solved... My son (chef) loves shooting sports (brought him up right) and his gf’s (future wife) grandfather is a old shooter, old battle rifle nut, and a reloading wizard. (I’m thinking he’s a Marine but he doesn’t talk about himself much)... Owns a shitload of land, a sawmill he built to build his huge house, a 300yrd range, and reloading supplies/equipment from hell... He’s going to teach my son more about reloading, way past what I taught him and what little I know...

Son was down for a few days this past week (my mom passed), and when he and gf headed back home a couple hours north, he took two jugs of 335, two 4895, over a K of my tubbed Lake City .223/5.56 prepped brass, and over a K I think of .30-06 Nat Match brass, a quart sealed tub of 55gr Harnady, and several boxes of sm rifle primers... He wants to pick up some of my 7.62 Lapua boat tails to try too.... (factory closure dump sale for almost nuttin)

I’ll send him home next week after Moms funeral with sev K more brass, projectiles, and giving him one of my Garands to compete in high power matches up there...and a list of my calibers to load/buy. ;)

With what I’ve sent him home with and will soon, I think a loaded K of each of my calibers is fair. I already have a K+ of 147gr 9mm..so I’m good on that for

Yep, he and Pappy (gf’s gfather) will load my shitstorm stash...much quicker than my Chucker...

Pappy and my son have planted all kinds of stuff, including tea, up there on his huge farm... He told son, his land was the rally point if it ever goes that way, all kinds of veg, fruit, etc., for barter, all equipment ever needed, all ammo ever needed for decades, next to impossible to find, and only one way in...us welcome to... Good influence on my son...

He needs to get to reloading....and buying up .17, .22, .22Mag....

Some 12ga slugs too...

I’ll still load my paper punching .223 and .30-06...

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d like to have some of those shawty 12ga #4 for attitude adjusters if needs be. I’d get me a little coach dbl barrel.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Welp I went to Cabela's yesterday and they had Remington 9mm FMJ for $13.99 and Winchester 9 mm FMJ for $14.99 with a three box limit.
They also had Aguilar "super extra" .22 LR for $27.99 for a 500 rd. box. No limit.

I didn't buy any since I have about 6,500 .22 LR and 1,500 9 mm.

Maybe the ammo shortage is starting to disappear.
That is encouraging news.

When I go to Target Sports and DO NOT see this, then I'll say the shortage is starting to disappear.

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 4.49.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 4.49.29 PM.png

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
9mm is currently available at ammoman, but what's being sold are packages of 50 rounds only-- though I don't see him saying that there's a limit on purchases. As is sometimes the case with that particular vendor, the prices appear to be a bit high.

The shit he's got for sale is Magtech 147's for $35.50/50, along with S&B 124's at $41/50.

There's quite a bit of 9mm ammo available from numerous distributors to be found on ammoseek.com at this moment... I was actually surprised to see how much was out there when compared to last week. And I'm seeing lots of 500 and 1,000 cartridges at some vendors, instead of just boxes of 50...

...though some of the larger lots of ammunition are being sold as reloads (or remanufactured, if you will).

Have a look:

9mm Luger on Ammoseek

It was rather more than I was actually expecting to see.

--R

JonCanfield

Random Yahoo
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still looking for more SPP and SRP. I can't believe they're going for upwards of $200 per 1K on gun broker. I thought $100 was bad. If anyone happens to get a line on them and even semi-reasonable prices - I'm not expecting to see the $30 prices I was paying, but I'm not paying scalper prices - I'd love to hear about it!

JonCanfield

Random Yahoo
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I walked into WalMart tonight expected to see no cheap shotshells yet again..... instead bought 1,000, and still left 300 for whoever walks in after me.

I’m already regretting not buying them all.
But you made someone else’s day when they find some

Latest Threads