Ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Reactions: Who

MiniB

Reaction score
Use the downtime to practice your shotgun reloads.

Sad to say, but in this day and age, 3-gun matches are often won/lost on your shotgun reload times. I wish we could figure out a way to make that not so. I know a lot of really great shooters who just can't reload shotgun fast enough to be competitive.

It took me about 7 months of practice, 3-4 days each week, to get to the point where I was able to learn how shave those last few half-seconds. Break it down: grip (including rotation of gun), extract, present, insert, shoulder. if you can trim 0.5sec from each stage of the reload, you will be doing very well.

Lena has a great video that shows a very nice and easy to learn, twin & quad load style. It might seem overly simple, but to get the timing and the geometry correct - at speed - is a daunting task. But, it can be mastered with practice.

Oh, yea... and weak hand reloading is a whole different animal, too. But, that's for later. Enjoy...

If you want to make the money, you might want to consider her Dad's method... I love Jerry.

Yeah I should....even through I probably won't be using the skills for better part of the next year.

MiniB

Reaction score
Those tubes are relatively new... weak hand reloading is not for the faint of heart. I'm pretty good at it, but I can still do it about 1.5 - 2.0 seconds faster with my strong hand. And, that's time to bang.
I've see those around for a while, but not lately. Didn't realize they were allowed for 3-gun.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've see those around for a while, but not lately. Didn't realize they were allowed for 3-gun.
That's what I was telling @Who ... I jsut saw them become "legal" for 3G around here recently. I don't shoot in nationally recognized 3G matches, though. they could have been in them for a long, long time. I was blown away to find out they have been around as long as they have been.

smk506

Reaction score
I haven’t done it in several years, but most*
ups stores won’t ship ammo in my experience.

If you go to one of their hubs that’s open for pickup/drop off business, you should be good to go, at least here in TN.

Try googling ‘UPS station <your city> and see what pops up. A quick phone call and you’ll know where they stand and what you need.

*There’s always that one store someone knows about that will. I’ve heard of such locations, never found one though.

MiniB

Reaction score
That's what I was telling @Who ... I jsut saw them become "legal" for 3G around here recently. I don't shoot in nationally recognized 3G matches, though. they could have been in them for a long, long time. I was blown away to find out they have been around as long as they have been.
When I first saw them years back, I thought they were silly. Who needs to reload their shotgun that fast? Then I started to get into competitive shooting and when it came to shotgun, I was like 'weren't there these silly speed loaders some years back?'. :p

Bownse

Reaction score
Swapped scales on my 1911 today. The fake horn ones were too tall and were encroaching on the ambi safety. The OEM ones were nice wooded ones with that scale type texture on them but I wasn't sure if the finish would last throughout the life of the pistol so I stashed them back when new.

Full sized photo here

Attachments

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know requirements for shipping ammo? I know UPS ground can do it with proper packaging and labeling, but it’s not clear whether or not a license is also required.
It depends on the state.
California is of course California, but it's only an issue for the buyers.
Commercial ammo is not a problem... standard ORM-D ground shipping, typically UPS.
Selling your own reloads DOES require an FFL-06.

JonCanfield

Reality is over rated
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm thinking about selling some of the S&B 9mm I have stocked up. Now that I'm doing my own reloading, I'm not as concerned about having 1600 or so rounds of commercial around. Thought maybe I'd sell 500 or so

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm thinking about selling some of the S&B 9mm I have stocked up. Now that I'm doing my own reloading, I'm not as concerned about having 1600 or so rounds of commercial around. Thought maybe I'd sell 500 or so
You're not in CA, are you?
If so, no more than 499, and it has the transfer through a dealer, I assume that does not apply if you ship it out of state.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Unless you plan on joining in with the price gougers, to capitalize on the shortage, why bother?

Ten boxes of 9mm at reasonable prices is about $100 - $120. Maybe a few pennies more.

Keep it as a reserve.

JonCanfield

Reality is over rated
Reaction score
Unless you plan on joining in with the price gougers, to capitalize on the shortage, why bother?

Ten boxes of 9mm at reasonable prices is about $100 - $120. Maybe a few pennies more.

Keep it as a reserve.
Not interested in making bucks, maybe Feel a little guilty about having more than I need? I don’t know, just rambling

MiniB

Reaction score
If 1600 is all you have of it, I'd definitely keep it around even if you're reloading more. We may be looking at another year or more still. Or...maybe could use it to barter if things really go straight to hell.

Bownse

Reaction score
I am in CA. I would only sell out of state to avoid the dealer & hassle involved with that
Have you considered moving? ;)

Not interested in making bucks, maybe Feel a little guilty about having more than I need? I don’t know, just rambling
Guilt is an emotion best left for dead on the side of the road. It's the emotion most abused by those wanting to control your choices.

Last edited:

Latest Threads