Ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
They’ve certainly increased in value since I acquired them. But, I don’t part with components even with the current crazy prices.
Ya... I tend to go the other way.
I bought a case of Reminton Thunderbolt.
Dirty as hell and wouldn't run in my AR-22 with the CMMG upper.
I gave a couple of boxes to my boss, and sold a couple of boxes for what I paid for them on Calguns, even though prices had tripled (2012 I think?)
Rather than sell the rest, I bought my wife a Ruger LCR 22.
But even with that... the Thunderbolt is such shit ammo that it's not always easy to get it into the chamber, and I've had a number of hang-fires with it. Never had that problem with Winchester or Federal.

scott1970

Reaction score
My neighbor came over late last night to show me his new rifle scope with night vision. I can't recall the brand, but it does a fantastic job. We're covered in coyotes, but we need the wild pigs.

smk506

Reaction score
Well that sucks. Still, those things have been in and out of ‘approval’ for a long time now. I won’t be surprised to see that come to fruition, or not.

MiniB

Reaction score
*Mod Edit*

Okay, that was Strike One... and in a two-strikes-only kind of game, no less.

Please refrain from discussing partisan politics in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

sonar1

Reaction score
Had a terrible round of skeet Sun morning with my new shotgun.
Perhaps it’s the twist (in my rhythm).

Just glad my 33yo grandson wasn’t on hand to share my embarrassment.

Trap, I think, next Sunday is indicated...

with my old shotgun

MiniB

Reaction score
I'm shooting maybe two more matches, then shutting it down and sitting on my ammo supply until things start to hopefully change for the better, however long that will be. I had a relatively healthy stash 9mm and 5.56 before even the pandemic hit, since then bought a few cases of 9mm to replenish and shoot a few matches....stopped about two months ago at which time it was up to $0.33 per round, and I thought that was bonkers. It's surreal now in terms of prices and availability.

I have enough .22 to shoot a few steel matches with, but that will be it as well for a while. When/if things get started up again like 'normal', it'll be like three years back in terms of getting my skills back.

Last edited:

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Had a terrible round of skeet Sun morning with my new shotgun.
Perhaps it’s the twist (in my rhythm).

Just glad my 33yo grandson wasn’t on hand to share my embarrassment.

Trap, I think, next Sunday is indicated...

with my old shotgun
I think that Trap is much better for "breaking in" a new shotgun. The repeatability of it allows you to get used to the subtle (and no so subtle) differences between new and old gun, without adding in the variables found in skeet and sporting clays. That is, of course, after you pattern it at the board :)

I'm not a Skeet shooter, but I do shoot a lot of Sporting Clays. It was a bitch and a half getting used to my (at the time) new Citroi 725 vs. my old Beretta SP1 when shooting Sporting Clays. A few hundred clays at the Trap range helped iron out the kinks. Sporting Clays were not a problem after that.

I'm shooting maybe two more matches, then shutting it down and sitting on my ammo supply until things start to hopefully change for the better, however long that will be. I had a relatively healthy stash 9mm and 5.56 before even the pandemic hit, since then bought a few cases of 9mm to replenish and shoot a few matches....stopped about two months ago at which time it was up to $0.33 per round, and I thought that was bonkers. It's surreal now in terms of prices and availability.

I have enough .22 to shoot a few steel matches with, but that will be it as well for a while. When/if things get started up again like 'normal', it'll be like three years back in terms of getting my skills back.
I feel your pain. I'm in the exact same place. October's Halloween Zombie match at my club will be the last AR platform match that I'll shoot until the ammo situation becomes un-stupid. My hard stop for that ammo has been reached. Fuck.

I have enough 9mm to shot a few more Steel Challenge matches in Open, but after that it's the Rimfire classes only for the foreseeable future. I do want to shoot in the big December USPA match, too. So, I need to save a few hundred rounds of 9mm for that. Then, done.

Three gun? Ugh... I stopped shooting that in June. The round counts were just killing me. Plus, I'd rather use the shotgun ammo for Sporting Clays. Thank goodness shotgun ammo hasn't been impacted by the current ammo crisis.

I did uber-stock up on .22lr after the last shortage. So, I have a ridiculous (>25Krounds) amount of that. I wish I did the same with .223 and 9mm. I will not make that mistake again, if and when we can ever get ammo at sane pricing again, my minimum stock will be 50K rounds of each.

MiniB

Reaction score
I withdrew from a few 3-gun matches this summer...really wanted too shoot those since I'm new to it. There are a few shotgun steel matches relatively local so I may try one, but my reloading sucks.

What really stinks though is not seeing a lot of folks that you've gotten friendly with at local matches through the years, and that you normally see each week, and often grab some food and drink with afterwards. One of them passed away...actually one of the first ones I met when I started IDPA, so that hurt. But at least I've saved on gas money! :p

Neffco

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I shot my 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 creed, 30-06, 44 S&W, and my elk rifle today. The old 300 win mag kicks like a mule! My scoped 44 pistol is dead nuts at 100y. I’m all ready for rifle season.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I withdrew from a few 3-gun matches this summer...really wanted too shoot those since I'm new to it. There are a few shotgun steel matches relatively local so I may try one, but my reloading sucks.

What really stinks though is not seeing a lot of folks that you've gotten friendly with at local matches through the years, and that you normally see each week, and often grab some food and drink with afterwards. One of them passed away...actually one of the first ones I met when I started IDPA, so that hurt. But at least I've saved on gas money! :p
Use the downtime to practice your shotgun reloads.

Sad to say, but in this day and age, 3-gun matches are often won/lost on your shotgun reload times. I wish we could figure out a way to make that not so. I know a lot of really great shooters who just can't reload shotgun fast enough to be competitive.

It took me about 7 months of practice, 3-4 days each week, to get to the point where I was able to learn how shave those last few half-seconds. Break it down: grip (including rotation of gun), extract, present, insert, shoulder. if you can trim 0.5sec from each stage of the reload, you will be doing very well.

Lena has a great video that shows a very nice and easy to learn, twin & quad load style. It might seem overly simple, but to get the timing and the geometry correct - at speed - is a daunting task. But, it can be mastered with practice.

Oh, yea... and weak hand reloading is a whole different animal, too. But, that's for later. Enjoy...

If you want to make the money, you might want to consider her Dad's method... I love Jerry.

Last edited:

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Jerry makes me smile and laugh. Most people would be happy to pull off a reload in the time it takes Jerry to do it when they replay it in slow-motion. :laugh2:

Any shotgun reload done that involves taking your firing hand off the firing position is wrong (or just gamesmanship). Jerry’s way leaves your shooting hand where it should be AND gets it loaded quickly.
Those tubes are relatively new... weak hand reloading is not for the faint of heart. I'm pretty good at it, but I can still do it about 1.5 - 2.0 seconds faster with my strong hand. And, that's time to bang.

JonCanfield

Reality is over rated
Reaction score
Does anyone know requirements for shipping ammo? I know UPS ground can do it with proper packaging and labeling, but it’s not clear whether or not a license is also required.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Define “relatively new”. I was using them before 1992.
Wow! Really... we weren't allowed to use them in competitions around here until 2010-11-???

That's great!

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know requirements for shipping ammo? I know UPS ground can do it with proper packaging and labeling, but it’s not clear whether or not a license is also required.
You have to declare it and the package needs ORM-D labeling. No license required, AFAIK.

Latest Threads