Ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If you still want to plan a winter roadshow...

Outside of TX, we have the largest gun show around - coming up in December, just outside of Phila. They always have a "Octoberfest Show", too. This is the first year since I can remember where it is not happening because... well, just because. I went looking for that before making this post and found out, it's not on the calendar :(

But, the December show still is listed as "confirmed".... 1,700 tables. It spans 3 halls of the convention center and like I said, outside of the big FTWorth shows, it's the largest gun show that I have ever attended.

You won't be able to buy firearms, but everything else is available. I'm sure the prices will be higher than the usual "fuck you in the ass" gun show prices, but if you need it - it will be at this show.

It would be a lot of fun to do something like that. But no air travel for us. We even cancelled our plans for Vietnam this winter. Real bummer!!

And to make matters worse on the 13th my wife goes in for spine surgery. She has stenosis that has gotten progressively worse the past couple of years and she's now in quite a bit of pain. So we can't do anything fun the next couple of months. 2020 is the year that keeps giving!

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It would be a lot of fun to do something like that. But no air travel for us. We even cancelled our plans for Vietnam this winter. Real bummer!!

And to make matters worse on the 13th my wife goes in for spine surgery. She has stenosis that has gotten progressively worse the past couple of years and she's now in quite a bit of pain. So we can't do anything fun the next couple of months. 2020 is the year that keeps giving!
Hope your darling bride has a speed recovery! Wishing the best.

My wife & I have made that trip by car. Only the other way... we'd drive up there, taking the back roads, to enjoy the fall spectacular and spend a night, or two in Maine. Then, back down the interstate, through Boston for a couple days, and stopping in CT to visit my daughter (when she lived there) before arriving home.

I don't see my fat ass getting on an airplane until 2022, either.

Stay safe and take care of that lady!

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hope your darling bride has a speed recovery! Wishing the best.

My wife & I have made that trip by car. Only the other way... we'd drive up there, taking the back roads, to enjoy the fall spectacular and spend a night, or two in Maine. Then, back down the interstate, through Boston for a couple days, and stopping in CT to visit my daughter (when she lived there) before arriving home.

I don't see my fat ass getting on an airplane until 2022, either.

Stay safe and take care of that lady!

Thanks, Steve. I will take very good care of her. I have to, can't do without my bodyguard! :rofl: :rofl:

TX to ME is quite a hike, but I can see it being a lot of fun. So much to see when you stay off the turnpikes. Driving up the coast of ME is like stepping back in time.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Steve. I will take very good care of her. I have to, can't do without my bodyguard! :rofl: :rofl:

TX to ME is quite a hike, but I can see it being a lot of fun. So much to see when you stay off the turnpikes. Driving up the coast of ME is like stepping back in time.
It was Phila to ME for me.... I am planning to take a road trip, from here (Phila) to Dallas when conditions are more conducive for public exposure... probably around late summer next year.

I wanted to get up to NH this summer to check out the Sig Sauer Academy. They have some advanced training and practice classes, that are supposed to be very good. It's on the docket for next year, too.

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It was Phila to ME for me.... I am planning to take a road trip, from here (Phila) to Dallas when conditions are more conducive for public exposure... probably around late summer next year.

I wanted to get up to NH this summer to check out the Sig Sauer Academy. They have some advanced training and practice classes, that are supposed to be very good. It's on the docket for next year, too.

Ah, I forgot you were in Phili. My wife has two uncles there. They came over when the U.S. had a program for South Vietnamese officers who spent 6(ish) or more years in the Communist "reeducation" camps after the war.

Phili to ME can be a nice drive. We've done it a couple times.

JonCanfield

Random Yahoo
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The website below is one of the best places for information about all things S&W. This place was invaluable when I started my search for a 686 no-dash.

That site was great. Within a couple of hours they let me know it’s a first year model 60 from 1969. I also realized I have the original grips for it. It looks like they were switched out when he bought the gun, they seem brand new

scott1970

Reaction score
I guess maybe around two years ago I scored a bunch of free reloading stuff from a dead man's estate. The executor of the will initially thought it was all illegal to sell, so he was going to put it all in a dumpster. My friend rescued it, and it came home to me from Arizona or somewhere out west.

One of the items was a Redding turret press. I finally got around to using it a couple of days ago to put together some 35 Remington rounds. Wow, this thing is a huge time saver over my single stage, and it performs wonderfully. It's got to be one of the nicest free things I've scored.

You can kinda see it to the right. It's older, but it's in great shape.

I cranked out seventy rounds in good time. My steel plates will be pinging nicely.

It didn't mean anything to me at the time, but the stash of free stuff included 19,000 primers. Since they can't be replaced currently, they mean something to me now.

JonCanfield

Random Yahoo
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess maybe around two years ago I scored a bunch of free reloading stuff from a dead man's estate. The executor of the will initially thought it was all illegal to sell, so he was going to put it all in a dumpster. My friend rescued it, and it came home to me from Arizona or somewhere out west.

One of the items was a Redding turret press. I finally got around to using it a couple of days ago to put together some 35 Remington rounds. Wow, this thing is a huge time saver over my single stage, and it performs wonderfully. It's got to be one of the nicest free things I've scored.

You can kinda see it to the right. It's older, but it's in great shape.

I cranked out seventy rounds in good time. My steel plates will be pinging nicely.

It didn't mean anything to me at the time, but the stash of free stuff included 19,000 primers. Since they can't be replaced currently, they mean something to me now.
Nice score! You're sitting on a gold mine with those primers

Bownse

Reaction score
That I did. Ft. Knox, 1974
Ft. Polk the same year. Ohh RAH!

Outside of TX, we have the largest gun show around
I've been to a few in other states that are bigger than some in the greater DFW area but I've always wanted to go to the Wanenmacher one in Tulsa. It's massive!

Do it on scooters like they did on Top Gear!

TX to ME is quite a hike, but I can see it being a lot of fun.
Piece of pie! Dallas to Buxton (farther than probably being considered) is only 1900 miles. You can earn a Bun Burner 1500 if you do it on a motorcycle in under 36 hours. :D

Attachments

Last edited:

Meatwad

Reaction score
I finally got to spend a little range time with my SigP365sas the other day.

I dig it, although I gotta say the sights do take a little getting used to.
It's pretty accurate. I understand some of them have had problems being way off.
The recoil is definitely way less than the 9mm micro pocket pistols I've tried.

I also got to shoot the Ruger PC9 with the optic sight as well.
That thing is a damn tack driver.
My old man eyes give it two thumbs up.:thumbs:

Although the Sig is a cool little gun that is way easier to conceal than my Glock 19, I'd still rather shoot the Glock.
That thing just feels.......like it was made for my hands.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
They’ve certainly increased in value since I acquired them. But, I don’t part with components even with the current crazy prices.
Ya... I tend to go the other way.
I bought a case of Reminton Thunderbolt.
Dirty as hell and wouldn't run in my AR-22 with the CMMG upper.
I gave a couple of boxes to my boss, and sold a couple of boxes for what I paid for them on Calguns, even though prices had tripled (2012 I think?)
Rather than sell the rest, I bought my wife a Ruger LCR 22.
But even with that... the Thunderbolt is such shit ammo that it's not always easy to get it into the chamber, and I've had a number of hang-fires with it. Never had that problem with Winchester or Federal.

scott1970

Reaction score
My neighbor came over late last night to show me his new rifle scope with night vision. I can't recall the brand, but it does a fantastic job. We're covered in coyotes, but we need the wild pigs.

smk506

Reaction score
Well that sucks. Still, those things have been in and out of ‘approval’ for a long time now. I won’t be surprised to see that come to fruition, or not.

Latest Threads