Ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys for all the info. It's a lot to fully understand as I'm unencumbered by knowledge. It seems there are a lot of good options and others to avoid.

The obvious problem is none of these handguns are available for my wife to check out. I'll keep looking at the two local gun shops, but it's going to be a LONG time (maybe never) before anything is available locally.

Last edited:

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Thank you guys for all the info. It's a lot to fully understand as I'm unencumbered by knowledge. It seems there are a lot of good options and others to avoid.

The obvious problem is there none of these handguns are available for my wife to check out. I'll keep looking at the two local gun shops, but it's going to be a LONG time (maybe never) before anything is available locally.
I missed the beginning of the conversation but, if you can't find pistols to try at shops, you can probably still find pistols to try at ranges (rental pistols) and get even more experience actually shooting them, there.

Sorry if that doesn't apply or already came up. I've missed too much to easily catch up.

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I missed the beginning of the conversation but, if you can't find pistols to try at shops, you can probably still find pistols to try at ranges (rental pistols) and get even more experience actually shooting them, there.

Sorry if that doesn't apply or already came up. I've missed too much to easily catch up.

That's OK, cooljuk. I very much appreciate your posts. There just aren't many options where we live. I'm going to expand our search area and see if there are any gun shops that may be worth a field trip.

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Have you considered looking at what's for sale on gunbroker.com?

Just checked a moment ago, and the search term ".380 pistol" brought up over 100 pages of responses.

Maybe there's something that would work well for you in there.

--R

Last edited:

GunMonkeyINTL

Reaction score
Kathy loves her little revolver. I'd like to find more info on it, but S&W doesn't seem to have serial number lookup available. Anyone here have an idea? SN is r76xx
View attachment 492121
S&W has some of the best-kept records in the industry. If you contact them, they can tell you all about it.

It’s what they call a J frame (small double-action platform) and is probably either a model 36 or 60. If it was new, I’d suspect model 60, but that pin in the frame, going right through the shank of the barrel, is a feature that ended in the early, early 80s for most models.

Judging by the gap at the rear of the cylinder, it looks like the cylinder is probably also counterbored for the rims of the chambers. These recessed chambers generally went away about the same time as the pinned barrels. Kathy’s is, therefore, what you’ll see referred to as “pinned and recessed” in S&W circles. Neither feature is critical, but it does add a bit of desirability/collectibility- think of it like a long neck tenon in a Les Paul.

If you flip the cylinder out, the part that holds the cylinder and hinges with the frame is called the crane. If you look in the gap created when it is open, you’ll see a model number and, most likely a dash and another number. The number after the dash is essentially a rev number. Seeing “mod 36-6” would be read “thirty six dash six”. “mod 36”, alone, would be a “thirty six dash nothing” or “thirty six no dash”.

Most S&W revolvers get an entirely different model number in stainless, but the 36 was offered that way for a while. I don’t know exactly when they switched the stainless 36 to a 60, but it’s probably easy to look up.

If you open the crane and get your model number and dash, you should be able to get a very close idea as to when it was made.

JonCanfield

Random Yahoo
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
S&W has some of the best-kept records in the industry. If you contact them, they can tell you all about it.

It’s what they call a J frame (small double-action platform) and is probably either a model 36 or 60. If it was new, I’d suspect model 60, but that pin in the frame, going right through the shank of the barrel, is a feature that ended in the early, early 80s for most models.

Judging by the gap at the rear of the cylinder, it looks like the cylinder is probably also counterbored for the rims of the chambers. These recessed chambers generally went away about the same time as the pinned barrels. Kathy’s is, therefore, what you’ll see referred to as “pinned and recessed” in S&W circles. Neither feature is critical, but it does add a bit of desirability/collectibility- think of it like a long neck tenon in a Les Paul.

If you flip the cylinder out, the part that holds the cylinder and hinges with the frame is called the crane. If you look in the gap created when it is open, you’ll see a model number and, most likely a dash and another number. The number after the dash is essentially a rev number. Seeing “mod 36-6” would be read “thirty six dash six”. “mod 36”, alone, would be a “thirty six dash nothing” or “thirty six no dash”.

Most S&W revolvers get an entirely different model number in stainless, but the 36 was offered that way for a while. I don’t know exactly when they switched the stainless 36 to a 60, but it’s probably easy to look up.

If you open the crane and get your model number and dash, you should be able to get a very close idea as to when it was made.
Thanks for the detailed info! I have a good start now on finding out more about age and specific model, much appreciated!

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Have you considered looking at what's for sale on gunbroker.com?

Just checked a moment ago, and the search term ".380 pistol" brought up over 100 pages of responses.

Maybe there's something that would work well for you in there.

--R

Thank you, Robert. I'll check it out. The real issue is that she needs to see/handle a few different models to see what she likes.

Bownse

Reaction score
I disagree on the DAO trigger. It is awful. It is stupidly long, and if you do not get the pistol perfectly purchased in your grip, the last bits of travel will move POA - significantly.
Easy fix. Make sure you have a proper shooting grip before witchdrawing the pistol from the holster.

You're welcome. :D

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Easy fix. Make sure you have a proper shooting grip before witchdrawing the pistol from the holster.

You're welcome. :D
Easier fix... dump the POS and replace it with a pistol that fits my hand without the need for manipulations during a time when time is critical. If I get a bad draw while on the clock, maybe I lose the stage, maybe the match. But, if I get a bad draw in a SD situation, maybe I lose my life. Pass.

I've been competing with handguns for years - I know a POS when I handle it. Sadly, I failed to realize that until after I purchased this one. Lesson learned.

:cheers2:

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Kathy loves her little revolver. I'd like to find more info on it, but S&W doesn't seem to have serial number lookup available. Anyone here have an idea? SN is r76xx
View attachment 492121
The website below is one of the best places for information about all things S&W. This place was invaluable when I started my search for a 686 no-dash.

Bownse

Reaction score
Didn't someone ask about converting a gas impingement AR to piston?

If not, then please disregard. I tried to go back and look but this is a long thread.

Adams Arms. You have to know the length of the bbl and handgard clearances. They started offering bbls with the conversion pre-installed because they had enough people ordering the wrong one for their need.

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

The obvious problem is none of these handguns are available for my wife to check out. I'll keep looking at the two local gun shops, but it's going to be a LONG time (maybe never) before anything is available locally.
Although the shop may have none to sell, check out places with ranges that rent. Fortunate to have 2 reasonably close. You can at least try them, live fire, then do the where can I find one, for those you like. Ammo, well another story. But the ranges here that do the rent thing, do have ammo, that they are only selling to range users, and renters.[

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Although the shop may have none to sell, check out places with ranges that rent. Fortunate to have 2 reasonably close. You can at least try them, live fire, then do the where can I find one, for those you like. Ammo, well another story. But the ranges here that do the rent thing, do have ammo, that they are only selling to range users, and renters.[

There are only two ranges locally. One where we bought the Canik & Mossberg which is members only and no rentals. We are going to join this winter. The other is a club with onerous rules and requirements for membership that disqualify it.

Maine has expansive wilderness for hunters, but very limited resources for purchases and support.

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
There are only two ranges locally. One where we bought the Canik & Mossberg which is members only and no rentals. We are going to join this winter. The other is a club with onerous rules and requirements for membership that disqualify it.

Maine has expansive wilderness for hunters, but very limited resources for purchases and support.
As you posted, maybe a road trip then. As bad as Illinois is, I sometimes figure, sans Californisa, if we can do it here, most places would be similar or better. Bad assumption.

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Maine is very gun friendly. I believe it has lax rules regarding open/concealed carry. It's a state where hunting has been part of the DNA for hundreds of years. With a population of 1.2M, I guess there just aren't enough people to make retail profitable.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

If you still want to plan a winter road trip...

Outside of TX, we have the largest gun show around - coming up in December, just outside of Phila. They always have a "Octoberfest Show", too. This is the first year since I can remember where it is not happening because... well, just because. I went looking for that before making this post and found out, it's not on the calendar :(

But, the December show still is listed as "confirmed".... 1,700 tables. It spans 3 halls of the convention center and like I said, outside of the big FTWorth shows, it's the largest gun show that I have ever attended. Many internet retailers, firearms makers, dealers and industry business also participate.

You won't be able to buy firearms (unless you are a PA resident), but everything else is available. I'm sure the prices will be higher than the usual "fuck you in the ass" gun show prices, but if you need it - it will be at this show.

Latest Threads