Ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Get a Mossberg 590 variant instead.

I have (and have had) 870s. They are fine. But the safety and slide release button are in inferior locations compared to the Mossberg. For those reasons alone, the Mossberg is a better gun.

Also, if possible, get screw-in chokes. You can always screw in a cylinder bore.

I will eventually get rid of my 870 and get a Mossberg. I just missed a good deal on one in the classifieds a couple days ago.
Yes, that is why I have my 590 with accu-choke system. THOUGH I think the OP was looking at an 870 with an actual slug rifled barrel.

Bownse

Reaction score
On your list, I can only comment on the .22LR lever. I have a Henry Golden Boy. Build quality is outstanding, and it's accurate as hell. Tube feed, holds 16 LR. And it looks good too :)
I like them but also have seen how they age. I had a gut full of Brasso when in the Army. I'd be interested in a color case hardened version if I was looking for one. The current Yellow Boys are caliber limited for the same reason the originals were (brass stretches easier).

Last edited:

Bownse

Reaction score
Yes, that is what I mean.

For a rule to work, it has to be able to be followed in every case. All the time.

That is the problem with so many "Rule #1 of gun handling" stuff.... you will actually break the rule every time you handle the gun, so the rule is invalid.

Here is an example.... there are hundreds of traffic laws. Maybe thousands.

You can boil them all down to:
  • Don't hit things
If EVERYONE followed the one driving rule of "don't hit things", everyone would always be safe. All those thousands of MV rules come about trying to get people to follow "rule #1"

Now there's some rules I can get behind.

We need rules that answer the "but what if"....

Examples:

• Always treat guns as if they are loaded
"But what if" I need to ship it?

• Keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire

"But what if" I need to work on it? Or decock my lever action?

GunMonkeyINTL's rules take away the "but what ifs". The problem with rules that have to be broken is that they are no longer rules.

• Never point the muzzle at anything you are not willing to destroy
Good luck holstering your gun, in most CCW cases.
I really think you are over thinking it. The "what ifs" appear to be straw men looking for a problem. KISS or people can't (or won't) follow them.

On the other note: I had a Mossberg 500 and gave it to my SiL when I got my 870. Their tube mags tend to have a fixed lug on the bbl so changing one or the other becomes problematic to non-smiths without soldering/etc. skills. I wanted a shorter bbl but couldn't do the easy swap because those options had the mounting lug for the tube mag in different locations.

JonCanfield

Reality is over rated
Reaction score
I like them but also have seen how they age. I had a gut full of Brasso when in the Army. I'd be interested in a color case hardened version if I was looking for one. The current Yellow Boys are caliber limited for the same reason the originals were (brass stretches easier).
Don't remind me of Brasso and the Army. Too many hours polishing

Fiesta Red

Reaction score
Just got my California Firearm Safety Certificate today.

Now I have to figure out what to buy and how to buy it. Not much of a choice in the stores.

Last edited:

JonCanfield

Reality is over rated
Reaction score
It’s a bad time to be buying, especially in CA. Don’t be surprised if the 10 day wait ends up being longer than that.
if you buy online, make sure of 2 things - that it’s CA compliant and that you have a store that will do the FFL transfer for you

Fiesta Red

Reaction score
It’s a bad time to be buying, especially in CA. Don’t be surprised if the 10 day wait ends up being longer than that.
if you buy online, make sure of 2 things - that it’s CA compliant and that you have a store that will do the FFL transfer for you
There is another forum I just joined -- CalGuns.net. It's all specific to CA obviously. There are online dealers that post there that have CA compliant weapons. The dealer where I took my test today said they would be the FFL if I were to find something online, as their inventory is wiped.

I'm not sure how to go about doing this if I do find something online.

JonCanfield

Reality is over rated
Reaction score
I’m on Calguns too, great state specific info.

some of the larger sites like brownells and midway will let you put your zip in and tell you if it’s ok for CA. They would ship it to your FFL, and you’d do the transfer there. You still have the waiting period that starts when they get it in.

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how to go about doing this if I do find something online.
First, you locate the firearm you're interested in purchasing.

Next, you look up local firearms dealers. Then you call them and ask if they can handle a "transfer" on your behalf.

All this "transfer" amounts to is that a local dealer will act as your representative by accepting delivery of a firearm from elsewhere, per federal (and probably state) regulations.

The local dealership will also handle the federal 4473 form that has to be completed for you to receive a firearm from their business.

For this service, the local dealer will have a fee they'll ask for as a service charge. Usually the fees are pretty low. Last time I did a transfer (in Florida), I paid the gun dealer $20 to handle the transaction.

That's about all there is to it.

--R

JonCanfield

Reality is over rated
Reaction score
I had a good day of shootin’ and moving.

AR, shotgun, and pistol. Did training with a group of guys and gals. Good day. I should have put on sunscreen, though.
Hope it helped with the sadness earlier. How is everyone doing?

Reactions: Who

Fiesta Red

Reaction score
First, you locate the firearm you're interested in purchasing.

Next, you look up local firearms dealers. Then you call them and ask if they can handle a "transfer" on your behalf.

All this "transfer" amounts to is that a local dealer will act as your representative by accepting delivery of a firearm from elsewhere, per federal (and probably state) regulations.

The local dealership will also handle the federal 4473 form that has to be completed for you to receive a firearm from their business.

For this service, the local dealer will have a fee they'll ask for as a service charge. Usually the fees are pretty low. Last time I did a transfer (in Florida), I paid the gun dealer $20 to handle the transaction.

That's about all there is to it.

--R
I appreciate that. I did find a forum member that is local who is selling a brand new Glock 19 Gen 3, but not sure just yet. Everything I've read says they are an excellent choice for a first gun. There is something about a Sig P226 or P229 though.....

Howard2k

Premium Member
Reaction score
I appreciate that. I did find a forum member that is local who is selling a brand new Glock 19 Gen 3, but not sure just yet. Everything I've read says they are an excellent choice for a first gun. There is something about a Sig P226 or P229 though.....
Buy two, see which feels better, sell the one you like the least. :)

Bownse

Reaction score
First gun? My recommendation would be some kind of .22LR so you can learn all the basics with the least amount of recoil-inducing flinch that will be a bitch to unlearn.

On another (kind of) note, Just started the long wait for another can. This Rugged Occulus 22 will be added to the Rugged Razor 762 and the Rugged Obsidian 45 when it gets here something like a year from now.

Fiesta Red

Reaction score
Looking a CZ P-01s too. I want something I can possibly use later in down the road as a CCW. I think the Sigs are out because of how CA bastardizes them

I should also clarify. I have some experience with firearms as I was in the military for 6 years. This will be my first purchase for private ownership.

Last edited:

Latest Threads