Ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

GunMonkeyINTL

Reaction score
Which Luger? The P08 or the P38?

P08: WW1 Military Contract DWM (1916). 9x19
P38: Mauser byf 43 (1943). 9x19.
The 08. I’ve never heard a P38 referred to as a Luger- unless you’re just talking about the caliber.

I’ve never owned a Luger, but worked on a few, and shot a bunch. I truly love that toggle action. It just feels so elegant when you run it.

Like I said earlier, I’m not a fan of the Glock/Luger angle, but I certainly wouldn’t kick the latter out of bed for eating crackers.

sonar1

Reaction score
I have bought “9mm Luger” ammo. General 9mm. Common.
Not 9mm short (.380) I guess?
I shoot a P-38 OK. Uses the same Luger size (standard 9mm) ammo.
As far as I recall I’ve never shot a Luger, but seen them jam, at the range.
Not sure I’d have the patience.
I keep some Ballistol lube around. They tell me it was developed for Lugers.

Last edited:

JonCanfield

Reality is over rated
Reaction score
OK gurus, what do you suggest for an AR. I'm not at this point ready to look at building one, but I'm thinking an AR15 would be a good thing to have around. I'm thinking in 5.56 so I can use NATO and .223.
The problem is that CA puts so many stupid restrictions on what can be bought here. I almost need to find someone that can send me an upper and a lower separately to put together myself and avoid the whole FFL import crap.
But in reality, what's a good basic one to pick up? Is the Ruger 556 OK?

sonar1

Reaction score
OK gurus, what do you suggest for an AR. I'm not at this point ready to look at building one, but I'm thinking an AR15 would be a good thing to have around. I'm thinking in 5.56 so I can use NATO and .223.
The problem is that CA puts so many stupid restrictions on what can be bought here. I almost need to find someone that can send me an upper and a lower separately to put together myself and avoid the whole FFL import crap.
Get a Ruger ranch rifle in .223.
Cheaper. Not scary. California doesn’t know the difference.
Or get a .22 long rifle AR. They don’t care about those either.

Neffco

Reaction score
The Ruger is a good choice. “Putting one together” requires pushing two pins. Not sure about your restrictions and legalities in your neighborhood. One that’s available may be your only option, if you can find one. Check out palmetto state armory. I have a feeling everyone is thinking about picking up an ar about now. And then there’s the whole ammo thing.

JonCanfield

Reality is over rated
Reaction score
Get a Ruger ranch rifle in .223.
Cheaper. Not scary. California doesn’t know the difference.
Or get a .22 long rifle AR. They don’t care about those either.
Thanks. I have .22lr in a lever, I’d like to get something in .223 or 5.56, and prefer semi auto

sonar1

Reaction score
Thanks. I have .22lr in a lever, I’d like to get something in .223 or 5.56, and prefer semi auto
The Mini-14 ranch rifle is a basic semi-auto carbine in .223.
They make one in 7.62 also.
Not modular like an AR though.
I found owning an AR in California is a TPIA.

JonCanfield

Reality is over rated
Reaction score
The Mini-14 ranch rifle is a basic semi-auto carbine in .223.
They make one in 7.62 also.
Not modular like an AR though.
I found owning an AR in California is a TPIA.
Owning almost anything that goes bang is a nightmare. Only a couple more years til we leave. Sooner if I can swing a completely work from home

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Man, that Ruger Mini 14 is currently way more expensive than an AR-15 rifle!

Or at least, that's how it is around here... :hmm:

I have no clue what California's prices are like... and few clues as to the legality of firearms of any type in that state... but I can say this much:

In Florida, a brand-new Ruger AR-15 clone only fetches about $525 at a larger firearms dealership such as Florida Gun Exchange, and I'm seeing them at about $550 (as a buy-now price) on Gun broker.

But for a Mini-14 of any species? The prices are much higher. At least, they're higher in Central Florida.

While on Gunbroker, I found this "California Legal" Ruger Mini-14... bidding starts at $995...

California Legal Ruger Mini 15

As for building them:

Again, I don't know jack about California laws-- and a real discussion of said laws is against the rules, incidentally-- but I'll go so far as to say that about two or three years ago, there was an enormous glut of AR-15 parts... an actual overstock of those parts, and so building an AR-15 was a really inexpensive way to go.

But that didn't last forever. It's not as expensive now to build as it was five years ago... but it's also nowhere nearly as inexpensive as it was two-and-a-half years ago...

These days the deal is that new upper and lower receivers are still pretty cheap, but internal parts and barrels (especially barrels!) have really gone up in price. Then too, it's really easy to end up with a pricier rifle by doing stuff like getting drop-in triggers, getting certain very expensive brand name parts, building configurations that are seldom seen-- or even worse, configurations which are wildly popular-- and pretty much anything to do with decent optics is gonna be a money bucket.

I just built an AR-15 target rifle... and though most of my junk is actually milspec (battlefield proven, if not necessarily tacticool) and about as romantic as an entrenching tool, this target rifle I just put together set me back a greater-than-usual amount of money because everything about it is primo.

It's not my usual, "It works, I can use it" build.

But even a less expensive build is still a little bit pricey (if we compare to the cost of purchasing a brand new Ruger, Smith and Wesson, or other really popular brand in AR-15)

That is to say: you ain't gonna build cheaper these days. It's about the same price-- or maybe even less-- just to buy a Ruger AR-15. And what you miss is the thrill of having a pivot pin detent (or other spring loaded, teeny-tiny part) going sproinnnng! and vanishing somewhere into your carpet or your unspeakably trashy garage floor.

Then you wait a while, for your OOPS KIT to arrive in the mail... :mad:

And then you put the damned detent in, and this time you pay attention and so you're actually successful... and then, about five seconds after you accomplish this, you'll look at your cruddy garage floor and there's the first freakin' pivot pin detent sitting right there in plain view. It even appears to be smiling at you-- mocking you. Klutz! :laugh2:

I'm serious: these tiny detents and eeeny-weeny roll pins do weird shit such as to vanish... and then to suddenly reappear the instant you don't need them any more! :shock:

It's horrible.

So that's about all I can tell you. Really, I only know what the score is in the Southern States because those are the only states I actually visit while armed.

Or at all, really... :laugh2:

--R :thumb:

JonCanfield

Reality is over rated
Reaction score
Man, that Ruger Mini 14 is currently way more expensive than an AR-15 rifle!

Or at least, that's how it is around here... :hmm:

I have no clue what California's prices are like... and few clues as to the legality of firearms of any type in that state... but I can say this much:

In Florida, a brand-new Ruger AR-15 clone only fetches about $525 at a larger firearms dealership such as Florida Gun Exchange, and I'm seeing them at about $550 (as a buy-now price) on Gun broker.

But for a Mini-14 of any species? The prices are much higher. At least, they're higher in Central Florida.

While on Gunbroker, I found this "California Legal" Ruger Mini-14... bidding starts at $995...

California Legal Ruger Mini 15

As for building them:

Again, I don't know jack about California laws-- and a real discussion of said laws is against the rules, incidentally-- but I'll go so far as to say that about two or three years ago, there was an enormous glut of AR-15 parts... an actual overstock of those parts, and so building an AR-15 was a really inexpensive way to go.

But that didn't last forever. It's not as expensive now to build as it was five years ago... but it's also nowhere nearly as inexpensive as it was two-and-a-half years ago...

These days the deal is that new upper and lower receivers are still pretty cheap, but internal parts and barrels (especially barrels!) have really gone up in price. Then too, it's really easy to end up with a pricier rifle by doing stuff like getting drop-in triggers, getting certain very expensive brand name parts, building configurations that are seldom seen-- or even worse, configurations which are wildly popular-- and pretty much anything to do with decent optics is gonna be a money bucket.

I just built an AR-15 target rifle... and though most of my junk is actually milspec (battlefield proven, if not necessarily tacticool) and about as romantic as an entrenching tool, this target rifle I just put together set me back a greater-than-usual amount of money because everything about it is primo.

It's not my usual, "It works, I can use it" build.

But even a less expensive build is still a little bit pricey (if we compare to the cost of purchasing a brand new Ruger, Smith and Wesson, or other really popular brand in AR-15)

That is to say: you ain't gonna build cheaper these days. It's about the same price-- or maybe even less-- just to buy a Ruger AR-15. And what you miss is the thrill of having a pivot pin detent (or other spring loaded, teeny-tiny part) going sproinnnng! and vanishing somewhere into your carpet or your unspeakably trashy garage floor.

Then you wait a while, for your OOPS KIT to arrive in the mail... :mad:

And then you put the damned detent in, and this time you pay attention and so you're actually successful... and then, about five seconds after you accomplish this, you'll look at your cruddy garage floor and there's the first freakin' pivot pin detent sitting right there in plain view. It even appears to be smiling at you-- mocking you. Klutz! :laugh2:

I'm serious: these tiny detents and eeeny-weeny roll pins do weird shit such as to vanish... and then to suddenly reappear the instant you don't need them any more! :shock:

It's horrible.

So that's about all I can tell you. Really, I only know what the score is in the Southern States because those are the only states I actually visit while armed.

Or at all, really... :laugh2:

--R :thumb:
I know exactly what you mean about small parts going invisible. I was super careful removing the roll pin when I changed out the front sight on my 1911. It’s in the garage somewhere but hell if I know where

Last edited:

Neffco

Reaction score
Better off with a good SD shotgun in your location. It will protect just fine. A decent bolt action, handgun and a pump shotgun will cover the bases without turning you into a criminal of the state.

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
I'm looking into building an AR pistol or something like a Sig MPX. The Sig is expensive. I already have a bunch of .223

I have a "full AR" and want something smaller and lighter for possible CQB.

Anything I should consider?

Bownse

Reaction score
The 08. I’ve never heard a P38 referred to as a Luger- unless you’re just talking about the caliber.

I’ve never owned a Luger, but worked on a few, and shot a bunch. I truly love that toggle action. It just feels so elegant when you run it.

Like I said earlier, I’m not a fan of the Glock/Luger angle, but I certainly wouldn’t kick the latter out of bed for eating crackers.
The sights on the P08 are hints only. A real lesson in old-school approaches to sights. The P38 are more substantive. The Toggle is VERY fast. Even on camera, it's hard to catch it cycling. It's why the follower springs in the mags have to be so strong.

The first pistol I ever shot was a P08 that my dad had. It was in the 50s and I was under 5. We used to go to the city dump and he would shoot cans and stuff down in "the pit". When he let me shoot it, I stumbled backward a couple of steps. Wanted one ever since. He traded it for a $50 short wave radio.

As for having friends ship you parts to avoid FFL transfers, don't do it. Why risk your future for a toy?

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into building an AR pistol or something like a Sig MPX. The Sig is expensive. I already have a bunch of .223

I have a "full AR" and want something smaller and lighter for possible CQB.

Anything I should consider?
Are you building a 9mm or a .223 pistol?

I wasn't sure if you meant you have enough .223 arms already and want something in a different caliber or you want to build something small and light for use with the .223 rounds you already have.

I'm not sure there's a .223 pistol design that folds up smaller than the MCX and/or can be built for the cost of the Sig. None of the short buffers and/or CQB stocks I'm aware of get quite that small. To build a piston AR pistol like that approaches or exceeds the cost of just getting the MCX. ...and it does seem like those last few inches are the difference between fitting in a center console of a truck and a laptop bag or not.

BlankinLoud

Reaction score
I've been reconsidering purchase priorities. Firearms have moved a lot higher on the list.

I'm not new to the game, but it's been over ten years.

So far, my top contenders are,

12 ga Remington 870 express combo with the cylinder bore rifle sighted slug barrel.

6" Ruger Single 7 (327 Federal) with Bisley grip frame.

6" Ruger Blackhawk with .357/9mm cylinders. (wish this was available with Bisley grip frame)

.357 Henry X model carbine.

.410 Henry X model shotgun.

Either a lever or bolt action .22LR

.17HMR Savage heavy barreled bolt action

Any input would be appreciated.

Latest Threads