Ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've got a Ruger New Model Blackhawk in .357 Magnum...

20200526_035826.jpg

It is a single action model, but it's not exactly what I'd tend to think of as a "cowboy gun". As you can see, the firearm is in stainless steel, and then there's that Hogue monogrip I stuck on it...

Very nice revolver, though. Extremely accurate and way stronger than my other .357 Magnum, which is a Smith & Wesson Model 66.

--R

lespaulfreak93

Reaction score
Anybody have any cool gun racks/display cases for their revolvers?

I'm gonna go ahead and DIY a rack for historical rifle replicas (I can only get replicas, sadly... non-firing).
I want to display the progression of lever action rifles from the 1860 Henry up to the 1894 Winchester (this one will be the only firing one, but BB again.)

It's easy to find nice plans and ideas for rifles and shotguns, but haven't seen any great pistol/revolver storage options.
I'd like to have my Single Action Army and Schofield visible. Planning on adding some more historical stuff in there, like a C96 and some non-firing Colt replicas (and a firing one thrown in there somewhere, probably a Navy).

Sometime in the future a Sharps will be in there, but since it'll be a real one, I'll keep it in a safe.

Gary

Reaction score
Ruger Blackhawk in 38/357 to go with my JM Marlin 1894C in the same caliber. The Revolver is more of my camping gun. The Ruger has a spring kit in it.

I also have a combo in .22LR rimfire and 9X19. I'm really into having a sidearm and a carbine in the same calibers.

Gary

Reaction score
.41 Magnum Blackhawk.

Had one just like that in the 80’s. Got it after shooting my neighbor’s Ruger 44 mag Blackhawk Which was a tad above my comfort level. The 41 was lovely. Sadly, sold it to feed the family during lean years. I think I still have the original Ruger manual for it around here somewhere.

sonar1

Reaction score
while i love my single six convert. it is a BITCH to load/unload if you shoot it a bunch due to the tiny .22 rounds. If you shoot a lot, or want to not want to kill yourself if you do, get a SA with bigger bullets...

that said, this will probably be my next purchase
Get some soft copper tubing at a commercial plumbing supply. I can’t remember if it’s 1/4”
or 3/8”.
The little red caps fit over the ends. Length them for 6 - 10 round, depending on revolver capacity.
On my swing out cylinder models they load fast: take the nose end down cap off and feed ‘em right in.
Should speed up Single-six too, once you’ve jacked out the spent cases and have empty chambers.
I know steel plate shooters that reload as fast as speed loader equipped guys.

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
.41 Magnum Blackhawk.

There we go!
Had one just like that in the 80’s. Got it after shooting my neighbor’s Ruger 44 mag Blackhawk Which was a tad above my comfort level. The 41 was lovely. Sadly, sold it to feed the family during lean years. I think I still have the original Ruger manual for it around here somewhere.
Look to the 45 Colt with a 2nd cylinder for 45 acp Blackhawk. Just the 45 colt can go from fun to take down LARGE game and small to medium Bears loads. And the Blackhawk can handle the pressures, even if your hand can't (lol)

45WinMag

Reaction score
Trigger for the grey/stainless Polymer 80 build arrived today. Had to take sandpaper to the locking block to get the slide to fit, but everything seems fine now. I like the feel of the 34 length slide with the 19 length grip.

Neffco

Reaction score
The Grendel is up and running, it’s good for 1” at 100 and seems to shoot more accurate as the barrel breaks in. I’m at 100 rounds now. It should make a nice whitetail round.

I stretched it out to 160y with good results. It’s zeroes are verified at 50 and 160. According to the ballistic calculator, with a MV of 2400 FPS (educated guess and matches the data), it holds over 1000 foot pounds and almost 2000 FPS at 300y with 12.5” of drop. Should be good for point blank zero to 250y. The beautiful thing about the 6.5, is that it bucks wind. It has a high BC at .508 on the ELD-M I’m shooting now

As soon as 123gr 6.5 bullets become available again, I believe I can coax a bit tighter groups with hand loads. I shot a gopher at 96y, so I’m ok with the Hornady black box until then.

I don’t recommend it for everyone, but I like it a lot as an upper. It’s not a creedmoor (I enjoy it also) but it’s a handier package than a 308 size rifle. I feel the creed is under powered for elk so why not a Grendel for game up to deer? I prefer a 30-06 and up for elk.

scott1970

Reaction score
This is rather impressive to me.

An email was sent to a Glock rep during the Memorial Day weekend concerning the issue with the pair of 30S handguns.

The rep called after the holiday to say four replacement mags would be sent to us.

They arrived a couple of hours ago. That’s a fast turnaround.

Latest Threads