Ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Schofield arrived today... what a beast. LOVE shooting this thing! Quite a big beast. I can't see how the Single Action Army won over this thing... so much easier to load, easier to aim and shoot and seems better balanced.
Schofield design doesn't last long, even with modern metals. THat latch failed sooner, rather than later, and then comes all manner of timing issues. ALL top break revolvers suffer from this. The frame actually is broken into 2 parts BY DESIGN.

Also. The Schofield could only chamer the 45 schofield round. Other 45 caliber weapons, colt pistols and various rifles could fire both. SO, Army would have to keep both around, and logistics back then was 'challenged'. This was a primary reason.

Part and parcel with above, Top Breaks and longer cartridges and worse, higher pressure ammo, don't get along so well

https://www.usacarry.com/top-break-revolvers/

So even though they are easier to use in many ways, the drawbacks outweigh those benefits.

lespaulfreak93

Reaction score
Schofield design doesn't last long, even with modern metals. THat latch failed sooner, rather than later, and then comes all manner of timing issues. ALL top break revolvers suffer from this. The frame actually is broken into 2 parts BY DESIGN.

Also. The Schofield could only chamer the 45 schofield round. Other 45 caliber weapons, colt pistols and various rifles could fire both. SO, Army would have to keep both around, and logistics back then was 'challenged'. This was a primary reason.

Part and parcel with above, Top Breaks and longer cartridges and worse, higher pressure ammo, don't get along so well

https://www.usacarry.com/top-break-revolvers/

So even though they are easier to use in many ways, the drawbacks outweigh those benefits.
I heard about the round issue but not the others. Cool, thanks for sharing! I would think the Cavalry comfort argument doesn't make too much sense, as a battle would be too fast paced for anyone to be able to actually reload while riding a battle-shocked horse, and if you've shot all your shots you're probably too close to the enemy to worry about reloading anyway.
Both seem to be incredibly well engineered and designed (the originals).

It feels... so right holding the Colt. The balance is just so good. Schofield too.

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I heard about the round issue but not the others. Cool, thanks for sharing! I would think the Cavalry comfort argument doesn't make too much sense, as a battle would be too fast paced for anyone to be able to actually reload while riding a battle-shocked horse, and if you've shot all your shots you're probably too close to the enemy to worry about reloading anyway.
Both seem to be incredibly well engineered and designed (the originals).

It feels... so right holding the Colt. The balance is just so good. Schofield too.
Hey, :) I like top breaks myself. I REALLY wish they could get past the 2 piece frame issues with modern metallurgy. They are more straight forward for reloading. And you're right, the Colt Army feels good in the hand.

Bownse

Reaction score
Here's one of my targets from today. I started out making sure I was on paper after paint the tip with red caliper paint.

I was off by a bit so put in a new target.

When doing my clicks, I wasn't seeing results (or, as we both know) POI moving the wrong way.

I did my sums wrong and was doing 1 click instead of 4 so at 15 yards it wasn't .25 MOA, it was 0.0625 (4x the clicks). I have spent so much time figuring multiples (farther away) than divisions (closer than zero) that I goofed from habit. On top of that, once I got the bags out, 1 click would be too low and 1 click adjustment would make it too high (too close).

Because back-door-to-target is only about 12 yards, I moved back toward the living room. 15 yards is about even with the middle of the kitchen (yah shade). Moving back the 3 yards made the POI change that the turrets wouldn't.

I essentially did a ladder test of the scope. It's windage was pretty spot on for such a cheep scope.

Group 1. On paper. No bags, wobbly.
Group 2. Better but still wobbly, so got out the bags.
Group 3. This is really pretty tight but I was adding clicks (up) and still hitting in the same place (the not-enough-clicks-closeness thing).
Group 4. Moved to the right to get a visual of how many clicks made a difference.
Group 5. Grouping for effect with the flier called.

Attachments

Last edited:

scott1970

Reaction score
I took the new Glock to the range yesterday evening, and I am now smitten. It’s such a sweet, sweet shooting .45 acp.

Here’s the peculiar thing. My partner also bought a new 30S when I bought this one. Both guns each have a mag that repeatedly jams on the ninth round. We’re hoping it’s a spring tension issue that will resolve by leaving the mags loaded.

Who

I'm back. Back in the New York groove.
Reaction score
I took the new Glock to the range yesterday evening, and I am now smitten. It’s such a sweet, sweet shooting .45 acp.

Here’s the peculiar thing. My partner also bought a new 30S when I bought this one. Both guns each have a mag that repeatedly jams on the ninth round. We’re hoping it’s a spring tension issue that will resolve by leaving the mags loaded.
You have a Glock that consistently jams? You have two of them?!

Jesus man, make videos, monetize them on YouTube and let the comments and money roll in.

I am NOT kidding. A video like that is worth maybe $30K if it gets shared correctly.

sonar1

Reaction score
For me, nothing says .45 like a 1911
View attachment 464237
Yeah I’m definitely 1911 oriented by training and familiarity. More rounds down range with these for me by far than anything else (and I have lots else).
I know their innards, outtards, and love the trigger control you can get.
Also have a 1911 in 9mm, but shot competition in .45ACP only for a long time.

scott1970

Reaction score
You have a Glock that consistently jams? You have two of them?!

Jesus man, make videos, monetize them on YouTube and let the comments and money roll in.

I am NOT kidding. A video like that is worth maybe $30K if it gets shared correctly.
Yep, two new G30S guns which are both repeatedly choking on the ninth round. And surprisingly, or not, I’ve already found a thread about the 30S jamming on the ninth round. It is fascinating.

I really like my Glocks. I happily carry one at work. But they aren’t above having issues. At my range I’ve seen a craptastic Glock 27, 29, and 36. It happens, especially when they are being cranked out in such high numbers.

Reactions: Who

Howard2k

Premium Member
Reaction score

How would too much spring tension make it jam?
Not doubting your theory at all, I just don’t understand it.

scott1970

Reaction score
I don’t get it at all. We are on the range now, and three of the four mags have repeatedly jammed on the ninth round in both guns. We’ve swapped guns and tried a variety of round combinations. Nothing seems to make a difference. We’ve only had two anomalies, one jammed on round seven and one jammed on round ten. All the other jams, and they are legion, have been on round nine on both guns.

In the words of the aging Robert Byrd, “Barbaric! Hear me!”

Who

I'm back. Back in the New York groove.
Reaction score
I’d just send them back to Glock. They’ll sort it out or replace it, I assume.

MSB

Reaction score
lol, i got called an old fart yesterday for my stance/love of wheel guns, probably didn't help what i was driving. If I need more than 10, I feel i'm doing something wrong already.

but i will say, the accuser is a big 10mm fan, and might, just MIGHT win me over in that category.

scott1970

Reaction score
lol, i got called an old fart yesterday for my stance/love of wheel guns, probably didn't help what i was driving. If I need more than 10, I feel i'm doing something wrong already.

but i will say, the accuser is a big 10mm fan, and might, just MIGHT win me over in that category.
Do it!

I’ve owned the Glock 29 and 29, the S&W 1076 and 610 pre-lock, and the Colt Delta Elite. And I’ve spent a fair amount of time on a Ruger GP-100.

All of them were fantastic.

Reactions: MSB

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Reaction score
Do it!

I’ve owned the Glock 29 and 29, the S&W 1076 and 610 pre-lock, and the Colt Delta Elite. And I’ve spent a fair amount of time on a Ruger GP-100.

All of them were fantastic.
I assume the GP100 in 10mm would feel much like the .357 being basically the same size ? Like I needed more GAS!!

scott1970

Reaction score
10mm is the near ballistic twin of .41 Magnum, until you get to heavy bullet weights.
We will have to agree to disagree on this one. The 10mm is a superb semi-auto round which really shines in such high capacity configurations as the Glock 20, but it does not equal the .41 Magnum. The differences are such that the 10mm can compare to the .357 Magnum, but that’s it.

Consider that the .44 Magnum is only .429” in diameter, and the .41 Magnum is the only “true magnum” measuring at .410”. The capabilities of the .41 Mag handily exceed that of the venerable 10mm.

*typos and misspellings due to Buffalo Trace

scott1970

Reaction score
Maybe I was thinking of the .45 Super.

EDIT.... I just Googled. 41 Magnum, 5 inch barrel 180gr = a little over 1,300 fps.

10mm, 180 grain = 1,300 fps.

Sounds like a twin to me.
I don’t know what google has to say about it, but I load both and have chrono’d my rounds.

They ain’t the same.

Reactions: Who

scott1970

Reaction score
If you’re loading for .40 cal you are
set up for 10mm. Just raise those dies up!

It really is a fun caliber with a wide spectrum of performance. Factory ammo, with a few boutique exceptions, is pretty anemic nowadays.

Latest Threads