Ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

lespaulfreak93

Reaction score
I'm speculating since you're in Europe, you might have an easier time finding a Martini-Henry than a Sharps.
Quite easy to find a modern made firing replica. Price ain't too bad either for what it is. Only catch is there's a few things changed (but nothing drastic) to make it one that doesn't require a license. Most are cap-firing conversions.

BlankinLoud

Reaction score
Quite easy to find a modern made firing replica. Price ain't too bad either for what it is. Only catch is there's a few things changed (but nothing drastic) to make it one that doesn't require a license. Most are cap-firing conversions.
If I'm interpreting that correctly, you need a license for anything that uses brass cartridges?

lespaulfreak93

Reaction score
If I'm interpreting that correctly, you need a license for anything that uses brass cartridges?
Not exactly, but "factory made" type cartridges are off-limits for non-licensed people. There's some workarounds and cap conversions. In general anything before 1886 should be OK. Usually the safest way to go is to buy something where you put the cap, powder and bullet in separately without a pre-assembled cartridge.

Here's a guy using caps (pre-made but by himself):

Not 100% up-to-date on the specificst. Just made sure what I want is easily available and 100% legal.

BlankinLoud

Reaction score
Not exactly, but "factory made" type cartridges are off-limits for non-licensed people. There's some workarounds and cap conversions. In general anything before 1886 should be OK. Usually the safest way to go is to buy something where you put the cap, powder and bullet in separately without a pre-assembled cartridge.

Here's a guy using caps (pre-made but by himself):

Not 100% up-to-date on the specificst. Just made sure what I want is easily available and 100% legal.
So with a little research for CYA purposes you can still play with some fun toys.

lespaulfreak93

Reaction score
So with a little research for CYA purposes you can still play with some fun toys.
As long as you're a fan of historical arms, yes!
You gotta shoot 'em at a certified gun range, though. Can't do it on your own land.
That's why I love .177 BB's and Pellets. Zero restrictions, only that the power isn't bigger than 17 Joules, which is plenty for any airgun. Most reach 4-5 J.

BlankinLoud

Reaction score
As long as you're a fan of historical arms, yes!
You gotta shoot 'em at a certified gun range, though. Can't do it on your own land.
That's why I love .177 BB's and Pellets. Zero restrictions, only that the power isn't bigger than 17 Joules, which is plenty for any airgun. Most reach 4-5 J.
The .22 Airforce Talon SS that's on my short list for acquisition can do 25 foot pounds/33.9 joules....

lespaulfreak93

Reaction score
The .22 Airforce Talon SS that's on my short list for acquisition can do 25 foot pounds/33.9 joules....
Either Europe gets ffd for power or I have bad taste... 33.9? That's insane!
Maybe they're downgraded to meet law requirements here.
Though .22 is considered a weapon here and needs a weapon license (very hard to get).
.177 is just a tiny pellet/bb with a spring or CO2 powering it.

BlankinLoud

Reaction score
Though .22 is considered a weapon here and needs a weapon license (very hard to get).
I know for a fact some air guns are Europe specific.

Intended use dictates what power/caliber is suitable.

If I were wanting to only punch paper, 177@17 joules would be plenty. The reason I want more energy is for capability to cleanly/quietly dispatch garden varmints, specifically groundhogs/woodchucks.

Where I'm at, one can legally own a 50 cal air rifle that does around 700 Joules without needing a license. Those are used to hunt deer.

BlankinLoud

Reaction score
I know for a fact some air guns are Europe specific.

Intended use dictates what power/caliber is suitable.

If I were wanting to only punch paper, 177@17 joules would be plenty. The reason I want more energy is for capability to cleanly/quietly dispatch garden varmints, specifically groundhogs/woodchucks.

Where I'm at, one can legally own a 50 cal air rifle that does around 700 Joules without needing a license. Those are used to hunt deer.
Oh, @lespaulfreak93, Stop spending your money on toys and get your @zz over the pond ASAP!

Neffco

Reaction score
If I was governed down to shooting BB guns , I’d just stick with my archery equipment. My fast bow sends arrows at around 340 FPS.

Are bows even allowed in Europe?? My broad heads will do a lot more damage than most guns at 100 yards or less.

lespaulfreak93

Reaction score
If I was governed down to shooting BB guns , I’d just stick with my archery equipment. My fast bow sends arrows at around 340 FPS.
Not as fun as hand-loading fake shells and quick-drawing a Colt Single Action Army, though :rofl:.
But archery is an awesome thing to do! A lot of fun, too. And it's a useful skill, you never know these days.

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Reaction score

Are bows even allowed in Europe?? My broad heads will do a lot more damage than most guns at 100 yards or less.
I dunno. I got this Remington that shoots pellets up to 1200fps. Came with a scope that I have set just right. I wouldn't wanna get hit with it.

Pellet guns are awesome fun. :)

https://www.mylespaul.com/javascript%3Avoid(0)

lespaulfreak93

Reaction score
I dunno. I got this Remington that shoots pellets up to 1200fps. Came with a scope that I have set just right. I wouldn't wanna get hit with it.

Pellet guns are awesome fun. :)

https://www.mylespaul.com/javascript:void(0)
What's the model called? Looks great, like a Remington should.

Both fun and cheap. Pellets are $5 per 500. The only thing that gets annoying is if you've got a CO2 powered one, they eat CO2 cartridges like crazy.

Yes, bows are legal in most countries, also Europe doesn't have a single law for firearms and weapons, it's up to the individual countries.

Another thing that's banned here is silencers :oops:. Hunters are angry about it and always have been, and for good reasons.

Bows are very popular! Used to be in an archery club, but then I moved. Might just come back to it.

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Reaction score

Both fun and cheap. Pellets are $5 per 500. The only thing that gets annoying is if you've got a CO2 powered one, they eat CO2 cartridges like crazy.

Yes, bows are legal in most countries, also Europe doesn't have a single law for firearms and weapons, it's up to the individual countries.

Another thing that's banned here is silencers :oops:. Hunters are angry about it and always have been, and for good reasons.

Bows are very popular! Used to be in an archery club, but then I moved. Might just come back to it.
This is a break barrel. It's Remington Express XL Tactical. The silencer is fake. It's more of a handle to cock the gun. :)

Neffco

Reaction score

That’s crazy that a government would restrict the power of a pellet gun, and look the other way on bows. I enjoy archery just as much as shooting guns.

Bownse

Reaction score
Got back into .177 BB and Pellets this week... historical stuff. I got my Colt Peacemaker on Tuesday and if I'm lucky a Schofield will arrive tomorrow (not getting my hopes up, probably monday).
Next paycheck getting a lever action Winchester for .177 BB's.

So much fun!
I'm from one of the "less fun" countries, so a real one isn't an option for now.

For the corona crisis this is perfect. After that I'm gonna move onto black powder. Anything designed/made before 1886, including replicas is legal without qualifications or a license, just have to register it at the local police station if I wanna buy powder.

Super excited!
Got a spring-piston .177 about 2 months ago for the same reason; back yard plinking.

When it wears out, I'll look at a gas-piston instead.

Last edited:

Bownse

Reaction score

I quit playing around with quick draw when my Blackhawk in .30 Carbine fired before I was "ready". I hit what I was wanting to hit, let everyone else think it was planned, and never tried again. Those outcomes are a RCH shy of shooting yourself in the leg. A lot of quick draw from the 50s died out because of that. Fast draw competitions today use wax bullets.

That’s crazy that a government would restrict the power of a pellet gun, and look the other way on bows. I enjoy archery just as much as shooting guns.
That's because it's not about safety.

Last edited:

Latest Threads