Ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

LocoTex

Reaction score
Just had to post a picture of my other revolver. I got it for next to nothing at Cabela's a few years back just on a whim. It's a Rossi M88 .38 snubnose. At first the trigger had a really hard pull - too heavy. I kept it because it's a tight gun and shoots really well for a snubby. About a year ago I took it apart and found that the main spring is a coil spring - clipped off about 1/4 inch and the trigger is great now. It's a copy of the S&W Model 60:

Stephen 014.JPG

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
Absolutely would not take anything for my M88....bought it new in about 1996 or so.

So I went to my local gun store this evening to try on the Sig Sauer P365 and decide which version (Standard, SAS or the newer XL) I want to go with for my new carry......

I really like the XL the best, did not care for the bullseye sight on the SAS at all.......

And then the guy asked had I looked at the new Springfield Hellcat (he did not have one in stock)....I must say, the specs look impressive.

Does anyone here have any experience with them?

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen the Hellcat. FWIW, my Centerfire Steel Challenge pistol is a Springfield Armory Range Officer in 9mm. Flawless gun. I have over 5,000 rounds through it without a hint of a hiccup.

SA makes really nice stuff.

GunMonkeyINTL

Reaction score
I wasn't able to attend SHOT Show this year (too close to NAMM, where my company exhibited) but I have been watching the videos and I think there's more exciting stuff being announced this year, compared to last. Here's some stuff I thought was cool.

3D Printed Titanium Suppressors from Sig

Kel-Tec Sub2000 CQB (twist folding PCC with dot and muffler)

Looks like the AK platform has a bunch of new stuff, as well.

Sig mentioned producing a non-ported P365 SAS, which I would be very interested in. I was already thinking about getting a SAS and swapping in my non-SAS barrel, to delete the porting.
I just had my best SHOT in at least 10 years.

Things had been getting pretty rough at work, and, after almost 15 years with the same company, I finally caught the bug to exit. Just after Christmas, I cold-called the CEO of another company, and signed a job offer on 7 January.

It took some quick maneuvering, but I managed an amicable exit from my last job, the week before SHOT, and attended for my new employer (getting there on the ticket my last employer bought for me).

I didn’t realize how toxic things had gotten at my last job until I was in some fresh air. The new gig is great, and it was a big shock to all the people I normally see there. By mid-day Tuesday, most of them figured out I had switched flags, and came to see me in my new digs.

Back OT, the new Sig cans are pretty exciting. I’ve got some close friends in their MIL division, and I got to shoot a couple of them a few weeks back. If added back-pressure is a concern to you, these ones really are a genuine step forward. I’ve got my eye on a couple of them, and will probably bite as soon as they are caught up enough to offer buddy-pricing deals.

Bownse

Reaction score
The weather was good enough for a comfy (62º) trip to the range to zero my new Tikka.

It feels like cheating!

As some might keep up with (so many people it wouldn't seem "typical" if you do), I have spent about the last 2 years improving a Remington Model 700 in .308 Win for distance use. I now have the best rifle I've ever owned and I can reach out to about 700 yards with just holdovers (many years with 30-06 helps).

Then I got the Tikka T3X Tac in 6.5 CM (folding stock). You've seen the guitar case for carrying the Tikka that I've posted here. I moved my Trijicon AccuPower scope to it and put the Vortex Viper (MilDot) back onto the model 700. In hunting and field work, my long familiarity with the basics of the round means it's probably for the best.

Got to go to the range yesterday and zero the Trijicon for its new host. Spent about 20 rounds @ 50 yards just to get on paper (yeah, it was way-high). Moved to 100 yards where zeroing was far too easy (as was group size). It feels like I'm cheating.

The other 20 rounds were just for fun.

Recorded rounds were all cheap-assed Fusion 140g with some visible tip distortions on some rounds. Now that I'm zeroed, I'll work through commercial ammo to find is favorite.

The folding stock was a good choice. I skipped it with the KRG Whiskey 3 that I put the Model 700 into because most folders are rattly enough that you know it's a folder. Not this Tikka. It locks up very solidly. If I knew a KRG would too, it would also be worth the extra bank for the option.

Attachments

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I missed posting when the flurry of revolvers showed up in this thread a week or two ago, but figured better late, than never. This one I picked up recently, and absolutely love it! It's a S&W 327 TRR8. Feels like shooting a .22 when I'm shooting .38 Special, and like a .38 Special when I'm shooting .357 Magnum. And it's crazy accurate. Some hate the looks (especially when both the top and bottom rail are mounted), and some love it; I would put myself in the latter category, but wouldn't blame you if you're in the former. To me, it kinda looks like what would result if an AR15 gave birth to a revolver. This will probably end up being not only a range toy for me, but also my bedside gun...if I can find a good light to mount to it.

Frank

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Here ya go, Frank. I put the version with the red laser on my bedside Glock 19. You might like it because it is small and it won't extend out past the muzzle. It should fit nicely on the lower rail.

Screen Shot 2020-01-28 at 12.13.44 AM.png

TLR-8 on Glock-1.JPG

Deftone

Reaction score
Just had to post a picture of my other revolver. I got it for next to nothing at Cabela's a few years back just on a whim. It's a Rossi M88 .38 snubnose. At first the trigger had a really hard pull - too heavy. I kept it because it's a tight gun and shoots really well for a snubby. About a year ago I took it apart and found that the main spring is a coil spring - clipped off about 1/4 inch and the trigger is great now. It's a copy of the S&W Model 60:

View attachment 435276
I have a Model 60. It's a great shooter. X California Highway Patrol.
IMG_1100a.JPG

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Bigfoot410

Premium Member
Reaction score

Bigfoot410

Premium Member
Reaction score
My old boss wants me to do an all night job fixin' shit at a restaurant in a bad part of town. He doesn't know it yet, but he's paying me with this:

Been after this since he got it as payment for another job. No Bisely, no worky. :)

wm_7722787.jpg

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Here ya go, Frank. I put the version with the red laser on my bedside Glock 19. You might like it because it is small and it won't extend out past the muzzle. It should fit nicely on the lower rail.

View attachment 435775

View attachment 435776
Well, Steve The Enabler, there's nothing quite like free same-day home delivery to help scratch that gotta-have-it-today itch! Got the new light, and it's perfect! Yes, I realize that it's a bit of reach to hit the on/off button, but I knew that would be the case with just about any light I got for this gun. But it's still perfect! Just finished installing it:

Frank

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well, Steve The Enabler, there's nothing quite like free same-day home delivery to help scratch that gotta-have-it-today itch! Got the new light, and it's perfect! Yes, I realize that it's a bit of reach to hit the on/off button, but I knew that would be the case with just about any light I got for this gun. But it's still perfect! Just finished installing it:

Frank
It is perfect, Frank. You couldn't have mounted a longer one to get the controles closer. The ejector cavity blocks it. And, a longer one would have extended well past the end of the muzzle. That one fits great in the space and looks like it was made to fit that way.

Well done.

And, yea... who doesn't like instant gratification :laugh2:

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
The new TLR 7 and 8 series lights/lasers have a redesigned battery cover / button section with buttons that protrude. I gotta get one and try it. The only thing I've not liked about my TLR-8G is that I can't as easily activate it with one hand, like I can on the larger TLR-2 and Surefire X300/X400 series lights.

I expect one can just buy the new replacement battery cover and put it on the old light.