Ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Drooled over 210s for decades..... Just never could lay out the geeters for one....

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Rental car person: Would you like the extra insurance?
Me: Does it cover shocks and springs?
Rental car person: "I've never been asked that before"

View attachment 425930
View attachment 425931

OMFG... that looks great. It's nice to see how well they spent all my money fixing the place up. :laugh2:

There is gonna be a road-trip in my future in the Spring!

GunMonkeyINTL

Reaction score
I like Glocks and all, and I think it's cool that they have a .22LR, but it stinks that they are married to that sequential numerical naming convention. I keep waiting for Glock to come out with a square AR 5.56 rifle and name it the "Glock 762" (I'd still want it).

It's kinda like my Marshall 1959 from 1969.
I had a conversation about that very problem today.

I was visiting one of my distributors’ today, and we were on the sales floor talking about the new Glock announcement. At the same moment, a customer looking at the pistols, goes “WHOA! You have one already?!?”

The sales guy behind the counter asks what the customer is looking at... and the Abbott and Costello script wrote itself...

That Glock 22!!
Yeah. It’s a 40.
But it says Model 22. They just came out today.
No. The 22’s been out for years.
No. It just came out today.
No. That’s the 44.
In 40?
No. 22....

He owner and I stood there laughing. The timing was too perfect.

GunMonkeyINTL

Reaction score
So....my hotel’s next to a Walmart, and I decided to walk over for some toothpaste and deodorant.

Went to see what the ammo shelves looked like after the epic mark-downs everyone was talking about...

Never... and I mean NEVER in my life, have I been there at the right time. Not during the .22 shortage. Not during the centerfire semi-auto purge. Never got sheet .

Here was my haul:
09EACA6F-EDFE-4869-8525-E296B424E57A.jpeg

$0.148/rd for American-made, brass-cased .223 and 5.56- AFTER TAX!!

I happen to have direct knowledge of the actual manufacturing costs of .223 ammo. Not boutique shit, home-rolled, or factory remanufactured—- actual from-commodity production costs over 100s of millions of rounds per year.

Even rounded up to 15 cents a round, the US ammo manufacturers could have bought this, with the 11% excise and 6% sales tax like I had to pay, and paid to ship it back to their warehouse cheaper than they could put new ammo there from their plant.

I generally get ammo cheap, and often free, but I couldn’t pass this up.

I ended up having to push a shopping cart back to my hotel

Last edited:

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
Just FYI....still no real deals at walmart in my area yet!!

Yeah man, I love PSA ( I am about 45 min. Away from the one in Columbia), however, pay attention....not everything is a bargain and they normally do not honor all internet prices etc. etc. some of those deals are internet only.

BUT, it is a shit-load of fun hanging there for a couple hours, and looking at the toys!!

Dun Ringill

Shall not be infringed
Reaction score
So....my hotel’s next to a Walmart, and I decided to walk over for some toothpaste and deodorant.

Went to see what the ammo shelves looked like after the epic mark-downs everyone was talking about...

Never... and I mean NEVER in my life, have I been there at the right time. Not during the .22 shortage. Not during the centerfire semi-auto purge. Never got .

Here was my haul:
View attachment 425963

$0.148/rd for American-made, brass-cased .223 and 5.56- AFTER TAX!!

I happen to have direct knowledge of the actual manufacturing costs of .223 ammo. Not boutique shit, home-rolled, or factory remanufactured—- actual from-commodity production costs over 100s of millions of rounds per year.

Even rounded up to 15 cents a round, the US ammo manufacturers could have bought this, with the 11% excise and 6% sales tax like I had to pay, and paid to ship it back to their warehouse cheaper than they could put new ammo there from their plant.

I generally get ammo cheap, and often free, but I couldn’t pass this up.

I ended up having to push a shopping cart back to my hotel
Ok, now I will go to Walmart! I dread doing it but that is a great price! I've gotta look!

GunMonkeyINTL

Reaction score
WOWZA! Our Walmart didn't have screaming deals on .223. At that price... I would have bought all they had. Looks like you did.
Yup. Almost 4k rounds.
I did leave behind two 20rd boxes of Winchester white box ($4/bx $0.20/rd), 40 rounds of .300 BO at $0.40/rd, and about 500 rounds of .40 at $0.10/rd.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Holy Shit!!! That's a great deal. No, it's not... It's the BEST deal that I ever seen for that caliber.

I would have bought every single box that they had. Then, asked them to call every other Wally World within 100 miles and find out if they had any ammo there.

Yes -- it's that good. Fuck.

GunMonkeyINTL

Reaction score
Ok, now I will go to Walmart! I dread doing it but that is a great price! I've gotta look!
One of the guys who works for me called me this morning and said he needed to buy about 1k rounds of someone else’s .223 for a product test at an agency. Wanted permission to buy whatever he could find locally instead of buying it through sourcing. I told him to go ahead.

He called me back beaming that he got it for $0.20/rd (cheaper than we can buy it OEM), and managed to buy another 500 for himself.

That’s what made me to think to check the one here at the hotel tonight.

I forgot the toothpaste and deodorant.

I’m pretty sure I can squeeze one more brush full out of the tube I have.

GunMonkeyINTL

Reaction score
Holy Shit!!! That's a great deal. No, it's not... It's the BEST deal that I ever seen for that caliber.

I would have bought every single box that they had. Then, asked them to call every other Wally World within 100 miles and find out if they had any ammo there.

Yes -- it's that good. Fuck.
So, the guy who works for me called his BIL, who is an ammo-company rep for Walmart. Apparently there is a recommended mark-down coming from Bentonville, but the store managers have discretion to take it deeper to get it gone.

Store managers who either want the space freed up for other merchandise for Christmas, or the woke ones, are cutting it deep.

The Bentonville directive is putting it at $0.20-0.24/rd. Finding it any cheaper than that is going to be a crap-shoot.

The 9mm was gone before I got there, or I’d have bought it too.

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had a conversation about that very problem today.

I was visiting one of my distributors’ today, and we were on the sales floor talking about the new Glock announcement. At the same moment, a customer looking at the pistols, goes “WHOA! You have one already?!?”

The sales guy behind the counter asks what the customer is looking at... and the Abbott and Costello script wrote itself...

That Glock 22!!
Yeah. It’s a 40.
But it says Model 22. They just came out today.
No. The 22’s been out for years.
No. It just came out today.
No. That’s the 44.
In 40?
No. 22....

He owner and I stood there laughing. The timing was too perfect.
I've often thought about this. Call it what it is dammit!!! :)

My favorite EDC is a Glock 43. It's a 9mm. So that's 6+1=7. 43-7=.....oh fuck it...I don't get it.

GunMonkeyINTL

Reaction score
Some buddies and I were talking about the scores each was making, and I wasn’t doing anything but sitting in the hotel, so I went back out.

Found another 2,200 $0.14 rounds of 55gr 223. I actually passed on 1,900 rounds of Winchester white box 55gr 5.56. It’s crazy, but when you’ve spent all evening buying $0.14-0.15 223/556, $0.20 doesn’t seem like that good of a deal. I’m going to kick myself later, I’m sure.

West Pittsburg is pretty well picked over now. I never did come across any 9mm ball, but two buddies managed 2,300 between them.

The .gov armory I’m going to tomorrow is staffed by buddies, and I called one of them. He grabbed another one, and they cleaned out their local Walmarts tonight, and laid up a 1,000 rounds for me as a “finders fee”.

This Walmart blowout is going to be legendary in gun-nut circles for years.

It’s like Trick or Treat for ballistards.
D2924C05-859E-476D-96C4-1DF15306F612.jpeg

EA92871F-9A94-48B8-8D44-594CE688BDB0.jpeg

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Can you imagine the look on the face of the high school dropout TSA moron's face, when luggage with all those rounds goes through the X-ray machine???

It's like if my grandson and I ever got pulled over on the way to a match... 2 ARs, 2 Handguns, 2 Shotguns, and about 3,000 rounds of ammunition. We'd make the news!

- LOL :rofl:

GunMonkeyINTL

Reaction score
Can you imagine the look on the face of the high school dropout TSA moron's face, when luggage with all those rounds goes through the X-ray machine???

It's like if my grandson and I ever got pulled over on the way to a match... 2 ARs, 2 Handguns, 2 Shotguns, and about 3,000 rounds of ammunition. We'd make the news!

- LOL :rofl:
It brings to mind the common retort amongst my buddies whenever the news reports on the “arsenal of several hundred rounds...”

If the cops came to my hotel room, for whatever reason, it definitely would have made CNN. I had three machine guns, two sniper rifles, and four semi-auto carbines... and that PILE of ammo.

CNN would surely cut the video of my perp-walk before I got to “...but Walmart was having a sale.”.... but you all would know that part was cut.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Going to the two locals around here tomorrow. I hope I have better luck.

Reactions: Who

Dun Ringill

Shall not be infringed
Reaction score
Works been busy and I have procrastinated. I will be checking soon! Looking is free and once in a lifetime deals are just that!

Latest Threads