Ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

Dun Ringill

Shall not be infringed
Premium Member
Reaction score
@45WinMag , If I paint furniture with Duracoat is it safe to cure in the oven? I don't want repercussions to the food or from the old lady!

Who

I'm back. Back in the New York groove.
Reaction score
@45WinMag , If I paint furniture with Duracoat is it safe to cure in the oven? I don't want repercussions to the food or from the old lady!
How many weeks will she be out of the house before she comes back?

I spray-painted with Krylon Fusion in my OPEN garage (to stay out of the wind). Took the item outside to dry for a couple hours, then brought it in to dry.

My wife was gone for four days over Thanksgiving.

She came home four days after my paint job. Walked in the front door... one of the first things she said..... have you been painting?

That's without touching her oven. I'd sooner rent an extended stay suite under an assumed name, and use their oven, before I'd touch my wife's oven. :rofl:

Dun Ringill

Shall not be infringed
Premium Member
Reaction score
How many weeks will she be out of the house before she comes back?

I spray-painted with Krylon Fusion in my OPEN garage (to stay out of the wind). Took the item outside to dry for a couple hours, then brought it in to dry.

My wife was gone for four days over Thanksgiving.

She came home four days after my paint job. Walked in the front door... one of the first things she said..... have you been painting?

That's without touching her oven. I'd sooner rent an extended stay suite under an assumed name, and use their oven, before I'd touch my wife's oven. :rofl:
LOL! She comes back every day! Thanks for the PDF! Haven't thought about MEK for a while!

Who

Reaction score
How long does it need to bake? Can you heat up a BBQ grill, shut it off, then toss in the part and let the residual heat do the job?

Dun Ringill

Shall not be infringed
Premium Member
Reaction score
How long does it need to bake? Can you heat up a BBQ grill, shut it off, then toss in the part and let the residual heat do the job?
Unknown. Hit up the neighbors? "Hey, can I borrow your stove for a bit?"

Who

Reaction score
I just did some light Duracoat reading. baking isn't needed for it to reach it's best hardness and adhesion. Just paint, and leave it alone for a few weeks.

I did read this tip, which seems cool:

Use a 6 foot section of stove pipe with a heat gun on each end and a magnetic thermometer in the middle. You can put it anywhere you want, fit any gun you own, and control temps by adjusting the distance of the heat guns from the ends of the stove pipe.

For me, I'd warm the paint in tap-hot water (works wonders for a smooth spray). Apply it to a 70-80 degree item. Let sit outside until dry (a couple hours?) and then, if it's the type of thing that benefits from warmth, hang it in a box with a light-bulb in with it.

Patience is valuable, with one-part paint that is designed for room-temperature application.

Last edited:

Who

Reaction score
Oh, and since this is the gun-thread, I should post a pic of what I Kryloned.

I did the lower-end of my M&P 15-22.

1575387822925.png

I had originally shot this in Plastidip. The upper is still "dipped".

I used Plastidip to see if I was willing to commit to a white gun.

Eventually, when the top is beat up enough, I'll strip it and do it with Krylon Fusion.

I also learned that WD-40 Contact Cleaner does a great job removing Plastidip, without leaving oily residue.

Also... the grip I found is an ATI X2. Where has this thing been all my life? Puts over 3 inches from the web of my hand to the trigger. A flat trigger is on order, which will move it out a little further.

45WinMag

Reaction score
Lauer's DuraCoat is a two-part that doesn't need to be baked. I have to bake Norrell's. A grill doesn't really work for Norrell's because you have to use exact temperatures. The oven temperature setting isn't even accurate enough, I have to use a digital thermometer. Baking too low doesn't activate the curing process, and baking too high or too long alters the color.

I only use the oven in the kitchen if I have a full day before the wife returns, and even then I have all the windows open and fans moving air. She still notices.

The process is food safe, but not wife safe.

Dun Ringill

Shall not be infringed
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lauer's DuraCoat is a two-part that doesn't need to be baked. I have to bake Norrell's. A grill doesn't really work for Norrell's because you have to use exact temperatures. The oven temperature setting isn't even accurate enough, I have to use a digital thermometer. Baking too low doesn't activate the curing process, and baking too high or too long alters the color.

I only use the oven in the kitchen if I have a full day before the wife returns, and even then I have all the windows open and fans moving air. She still notices.

The process is food safe, but not wife safe.
Thanks! I'll weigh my options as it gets closer.

Teledan

Reaction score
I just bought one of these because they are on sale, anyone have any experience with these triggers?

I got the flat one just because I want to see if I like a flat trigger.

Who

Reaction score
I bought the same one for my M&P.

It will be here Thursday.

On another forum, I've been warned I should have paid the extra $20 for a CMC (now out of stock).

Oh well... we'll see how it goes.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I hav a couple friends who run those Rise triggers. They speak highly of them. I hope you both like them,

Reactions: Who

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
Get a used electric smoker. You should be able to fit an entire long gun in there, disassembled.

I thought Duracoat was air-dried overnight, though? Cerekote needs an oven.

Dun Ringill

Shall not be infringed
Premium Member
Reaction score
Get a used electric smoker. You should be able to fit an entire long gun in there, disassembled.

I thought Duracoat was air-dried overnight, though? Cerekote needs an oven.
I'd been reading a couple of sources and that was what I'd gotten out of it. Figured I'd ask the people that had done it!

Bigfoot410

Premium Member
Reaction score
I bought the same one for my M&P.

It will be here Thursday.

On another forum, I've been warned I should have paid the extra $20 for a CMC (now out of stock).

Oh well... we'll see how it goes.
OTHER FORUM!? o_O WTF!

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
P365s were awfully cheap on Monday. Good day for a NGD! Ya'll need to buy more pickups so I can afford those expensive magazines, now! :naughty:

Who

Reaction score
How much did you pay, and did you get an SAS?

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
$450 with a Sig molded holster and 3 12rd Sig mags. Non-SAS. I've got the option to go back for another at the same price and I'm considering it.

Man, I really wanted to like the SAS, and I even think the sight is really cool and workable but I don't like that it's not adjustable and the reviews on factory accuracy seem 50/50. I'm not really into the compensated barrel on something so short or a PDW, either. Though it wasn't a prime factor and I could have trained around it, I also kept going for that slide release (I know it's just a stop) with my thumb out of habit.

On the other hand, I REALLY like the x-ray sights on the non-SAS. They are big and fast. I wouldn't pocket carry a striker-fired semi auto without also being in a holster so the anti-snag thing, although cool looking, wasn't an issue for me.