Ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

THDNUT

Reaction score
I just learned that my S&W made Walther PPK/S .380 was recalled in 2009. :shock:

I went to their website and filled out the form and they are sending me a postage paid box to return it to the factory.

I bought mine in 2007. It's the SS model. I've only fired about 400 rds through it with no problems.

If you want, you can go to the S&W website and click on "recalls". Scroll down to Walther PPK/S and read all about it. :laugh2:

Last edited:

Bownse

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Berger Bullets ammo?

Do you fire it with the bag in that position, or do you put it under the buttstock?
Under the buttstock. That was a cold range so I had to make sure it wouldn't tip over.

I shot some Berger bullets in 175Gr but they were Federal rounds. It currently favors Federal Gold Matchking BTHP in 168Gr and 175gb out to about 750 yards. After that they go transonic and get wonky. That's when I switch to Berger Juggernauts in 185Gr. I'd shoot them all the time but they cost a bit more.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I see a lot of them starting to crop up in Steel Challenge competitions. It's becoming the "go-to" gun for the PCCI and PCCO classes.

Bownse

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I look at such as a modem metrosexual version of the old saw about having a carbine and pistol that use the same ammo so you don't have to worry about what you're packing into the wild.

But then they were talking about things like the .45 (long) Colt.

KP

Reaction score
Need a report on that thing when you got time. I love Ruger and that thing looks like a great little carbine and I got lotsa 9mm. I may have to want one :)
I bought this rifle because shooting .270 Win was getting to be really expensive. I had seen some reports on the Ruger and was intrigued by it. I made the jump and must say I am very impressed with this weapon. I first tried the red dot mounted on the receiver then mounted on the barrel. But at almost 75, my eyes are not quite as good as they once were so I now have a 3-9x32 AO scope on it. Need to go out next week and set it up. I am quite pleased with recoil on the 9mm as the .270 can leave you with a sore shoulder. The accuracy thus far at 25 yards is amazing with a 2 inch group of 50 rounds. Once the scope is dialed in I will go to the outdoor range and see how it does at 100 yards. I would recommend this rifle to anyone who wants to have a lot of fun with very great accuracy.

PC9 Scope.jpg

Last edited:

45WinMag

Reaction score
I am building a 9mm AR pistol out of extra parts laying around, and had a free sheet of hydrographic film included in an order of film I used for the furniture on my AR15 prototype replica. It's kinda' cheesy (skeletons holding pistols with "Bad Ass" on the slide), but thought it would be fun for a spare parts build - plus it was free.

Three inch barrel. Going to use a magwell adapter for Glock mags (probably a Stern). I had a spare YHM free-float barrel nut (buggered-up the threads and YHM sent me a new one years ago, had the cross threaded one just laying in my parts bin). I JB Welded the threads smooth and then sprayed with truck bed liner.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I bought this rifle because shooting .270 Win was getting to be really expensive. I had seen some reports on the Ruger and was intrigued by it. I made the jump and must say I am very impressed with this weapon. I first tried the red dot mounted on the receiver then mounted on the barrel. But at almost 75, my eyes are not quite as good as they once were so I now have a 3-9x32 AO scope on it. Need to go out next week and set it up. I am quite pleased with recoil on the 9mm as the .270 can leave you with a sore shoulder. The accuracy thus far at 25 yards is amazing with a 2 inch group of 50 rounds. Once the scope is dialed in I will go to the outdoor range and see how it does at 100 yards. I would recommend this rifle to anyone who wants to have a lot of fun with very great accuracy.

View attachment 408528
A few shooters occaisionaly run a PCC in 9mm for our monthly rifle matches. They get into trouble when moving in & out past 50 yards, because of the bullet drop curve. Picking a zero is tricky. If you zero at 100, you'll be firing over the top of everything inside of 50 yards. If you zero at 50, the holdover at 100 is pretty big. And, past 100 for anything is almost useless, or a crapshoot.

But, if just for fun, then none of that matters!

PCC in 9mm is getting really popular for Steel Challenge though (like I said before). I prefer rimfire for that competition, personally. But, I may just build myself a 9mm PCC. :naughty:

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

View attachment 408528
LOve mine.. Fast followups, little recoil, EASY to sight, makes it also a great Home Defense weapon as well as a ball to shoot.

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My new Hog Thumper and ultimate Brush Gun. Will also be my first non straight walled reload (hello lube).

Marlin 1895 GBL in 45-70 Govt. GBL stands for Guide Big Loop.

Yes, I have read and am aware of Marlin's downfall after Remington. They have multiple fit and finish issues, etc.But, I have also read how a lot of people lately have been very impressed with the Marlis of late, particularly certain models. The Lever Guide rifles being one.

Plus, though I love my Henry's, I wanted a side gate on the brush gun AND the Marlin was the only one out there with a 18.5" barrel AND a 6+1 capacity.

No major complaints so far. Fit and finish is great actually. The Composite wood is very nice looking and weather resistant. Bluing is good enough. The front sight is a little small on the brass disk. Already fluoresced it a bit to help, and took the shroud off. Have a leather loop cover coming.

Lever action is not Henry nice, but it isn't as bad as all the horror stories, by a long shot. It's a little hard, but smooth. Perfectly acceptable, except for Cowboy shooting speed contests. It should get easier with use, and I may polish a few spots to slick it up. But, I'd be happy as is.

Wanted a 45-70 rifle, as it's another very versatile caliber if one reloads.

20190923_134058+b.jpg

• 45-70 Gov't.
  • 6-shot, full-length tubular magazine
  • Lever action with big-loop finger lever; side ejection; solid-top receiver; deeply blued metal surfaces; hammer block safety
  • American pistol-grip two tone brown laminate stock; cut checkering; ventilated recoil pad; tough Mar-Shield finish; swivel studs
  • 18.5" barrel with deep-cut Ballard-type rifling (6 grooves)
  • 1:20" twist rate
  • Adjustable semi-buckhorn folding rear sight, ramp front sight with brass bead and Wide-Scan hood. Solid-top receiver tapped for scope mount.
  • 37" long
  • 13 3/8” length of pull
  • 7 lbs. approximate weight

scott1970

Reaction score
Congrats on the .45-70 Govt. That cartridge is one of my favorites.

If you want a soft shooting round put 10.0 gr. of Unique under a 405 gr. bullet. It allows for all day shooting and is still a devastating combination. My favorite load is 34.1 gr. of IMR 4198 with a cast 405 gr. bullet. That load has killed several hogs with great success. Powder coat cast works great.

One of my more valuable firearms happens to be a Marlin STP .45-70 trapper with a 16.25" barrel. They were a small run from Davidson's some years ago. I've had this one for seven years, and they have recently been bringing enough cash to turn it into a Gibson reissue.

My other two are a Marlin guide gun and a 26" heavy barrel Ruger No. 1. I worked up some face smashing loads with that No. 1 and a 300 gr. solid copper projectile. It was brutal to shoot. I got to test them on a sack of pig heads. Unbelievably destructive.

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the .45-70 Govt. That cartridge is one of my favorites.

If you want a soft shooting round put 10.0 gr. of Unique under a 405 gr. bullet. It allows for all day shooting and is still a devastating combination. My favorite load is 34.1 gr. of IMR 4198 with a cast 405 gr. bullet. That load has killed several hogs with great success. Powder coat cast works great.

One of my more valuable firearms happens to be a Marlin STP .45-70 trapper with a 16.25" barrel. They were a small run from Davidson's some years ago. I've had this one for seven years, and they have recently been bringing enough cash to turn it into a Gibson reissue.

My other two are a Marlin guide gun and a 26" heavy barrel Ruger No. 1. I worked up some face smashing loads with that No. 1 and a 300 gr. solid copper projectile. It was brutal to shoot. I got to test them on a sack of pig heads. Unbelievably destructive.
Awesome info thanks. I was actually trying to decide on a practice/range round load. 45-70 should be a Hammer of Thor for Hogs, as well as Elk, Moose, Deer, Black Bear, and even the bigguns with the right load and shot placement.

On your Unique load, did you use just large rifle primers or Magnum ones? Ever clock them?

scott1970

Reaction score
I’ve never chrono’d any of them, so I have no idea as to speed. And I’ve only ever used standard primers.

One thing to keep in mind is that .45-70 load data comes in three distinct categories that can be extremely dangerous if improperly followed.....1873 Trapdoor loads, Marlin 1895 loads, and Ruger No. 1 loads. Mild, medium and hot.

I’ve read of guys putting a half grain of Win 231 under a big bullet and producing shots no louder than an air rifle. Allegedly it packs enough umph to extinguish cat sized animals. It intrigues me, but I’ve never played around with the possibilities.

BlankinLoud

Reaction score
I’ve never chrono’d any of them, so I have no idea as to speed. And I’ve only ever used standard primers.

One thing to keep in mind is that .45-70 load data comes in three distinct categories that can be extremely dangerous if improperly followed.....1873 Trapdoor loads, Marlin 1895 loads, and Ruger No. 1 loads. Mild, medium and hot.

I’ve read of guys putting a half grain of Win 231 under a big bullet and producing shots no louder than an air rifle. Allegedly it packs enough umph to extinguish cat sized animals. It intrigues me, but I’ve never played around with the possibilities.
That half grain of Win 231 load sounds interesting.

Could be just the thing for garden gophers if I ever get that MRI BFR that's intrigued me for years.

scott1970

Reaction score
Anyone here ever played with 458 SOCOM?

A guy from work brought one to my range. It was fun to shoot, seemed accurate enough for range plinking, was soft shooting with factory ammo and was completely reliable.

That’s all I got.

I did get to handle a genuine 1864 Sharps carbine this morning. Crazy heavy little gun.