Ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Oh, that shit.

Yes, I've already dealt with that nastiness. A year ago it went kaflooie on me and I bought one of those multi-holed pins.
ahahahaaa. Thanks Who.

@Roberteaux or anyone who can answer about the roll pin punches.. Do they need to be specifically roll pin punches? As there are some that are not roll pins.

I have this in mind. Will it work for all ?

Yes, that will get it... :thumb:

But no, they don't *have* to be roll pin punches... especially when what you're pushing in ain't a roll pin to begin with! :D

It just makes the job a little bit easier if you've got the roll pin punches... though I've always used flat-faced punches successfully.

You just gotta be careful not to really hammer things too hard when you're using the flat-faced type.

--R :thumb:

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's the forward of the two pins that hold the upper receiver to the lower receiver... right in front of the magazine well...

I circled the three parts in black in the diagram below:

Yep, I remember now.

and I was simply taking down my upper off the lower one day, even before I bought the long-barreled upper. Damn pin came right out. I went online to find the fix, and came across the clevice pin trick. Saved my ass, it did.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, that will get it... :thumb:

But no, they don't *have* to be roll pin punches... especially when what you're pushing in ain't a roll pin to begin with! :D

It just makes the job a little bit easier if you've got the roll pin punches... though I've always used flat-faced punches successfully.

You just gotta be careful not to really hammer things too hard when you're using the flat-faced type.

So the nubbed roll pin punches will work okay on the flat, non-roll pins without skidding off..

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yep, I remember now.

and I was simply taking down my upper off the lower one day, even before I bought the long-barreled upper. Damn pin came right out. I went online to find the fix, and came across the clevice pin trick. Saved my ass, it did.
Somewhere in my garage is a perfectly good, unused spring detent pin...

SPROING! :rofl:

--R

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
So the nubbed roll pin punches will work okay on the flat, non-roll pins without skidding off..
Yes, it will work just fine.

You just tap things carefully... like a Christmas elf assembling a very special toy... :rofl:

--R :D

smk506

Reaction score
The only punch you should need is one for the bolt release pin, and unless your using one of those roll pin grabbing deals, any size should work.

GunMonkeyINTL

Reaction score
Do you suppose there's any disadvantage to using one of these suppressor-optomised Raptors without a can?

No disadvantage. The suppressor version is just going to have a "gas-buster" feature to route the extra gas sent through the gas tube, due to the added back-pressure of the suppresor, down and away from the shooter's face.

You'll never notice the suppressor-optimized feature is there, until you put a can on it, at which point you'll be glad it has it.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, it will work just fine.

You just tap things carefully... like a Christmas elf assembling a very special toy... :rofl:

--R :D
Thanksgiving elf, but close enough.

Steve bought this somewhat stripped lower a year ago when the last call to buy AR lowers here in CA was sounded.

Yes, there was a line in the store. He just made it under the wire.

As he tells it, he got the lower when there was a last chance before the bullet-tip mag release requirement was enforced, as it has a standard button for the mag catch. But I'm not so very sure of the laws and what's what anyway.

So he bought a complete upper from PSA, and a lower parts kit for the same.

And I'm to have this mess assembled for Thanksgiving morning, when he and my sister come out for T-Day, Steve and I go shooting at my special area for an hour or two while the girls putter away in the kitchen. Sister-bonding type o deal.
Gonna sight in the new one and plink some with the old one.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The stock on yours is a looker. Does it have the inspector cartouche in-tact?

I’ve got one CMP M1 left. It is a VG Service Grade SA from January ‘44. All the parts in it are WWII SA, except the barrel (Danish VAR), and the stock (Danish birch). I bought it at the national matches in ‘98 or ‘99. The stock is kind of a let down, but I specifically bought it for the barrel. The VAR barrels on the Danish bring-backs were regarded as “NM-quality” at the time, and the shop staff was willing to run throat and muzzle erosion gauges on the floor because they knew competitors would be trying to jam their own steel plugs in them if they didn’t. This one checked out as unused/nearly-unused on the throat, and 0 on the muzzle, and it was a WWII receiver, so I snatched it. IIRC, it was $400.

Chances are yours came back from the Philippines. I actually got to see some of those rifles in 2015, in the PI, when the PI Army was in the process of changing over from their American lend-lease M16A1s to PI-bought M4s.

When the US lent them M16s, they built storage for the M1s we lent them. When they bought the M4s, they offered the M1s back to the US. The US president at the time didn’t want them back because he knew they’d go CMP, so the Phils were making budgetary arrangements to destroy them. A Colonel, and fellow gun-nut, and I were talking about them, and, when he saw my interest, he made arrangements to take me to the armory to see them a few days later.

It turned out that the armory was not secured to the satisfaction of the US, for storage of the M16s, so the Phils had to arrange alternate storage. In the meantime, the CMP and DLA were making arrangements with the Phils to get the M1s back, just in case the US administration ever changed its mind.
Thankfully they did have a change of mind.

Here’s my Danish bring-back.
The other is a Remington 541x I got from the CMP around the same time.

View attachment 417446
Nice... thanks for the history. I really need to do more studying on these things.

The stock cartouche is in pretty good shape. I'l try to take a picture of it when I get some time on Monday.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
@LtDave32 @Roberteaux @Who ... seems you guys hashed all that pin assembly shit out, and life is good.

FWIW, while you can interchange punches, you *really* shouldn't. If you use a roll-pin punch on a flat faced pin, you are destroying that punch, little by little. And, I have seen roll-pins "folded over" by being beat with a flat punch.

Right tool, right job. And, even a great set of punches does not cost life changing money. :rofl:

*stepping off high horse*

smk506

Reaction score
@LtDave32 @Roberteaux @Who ... seems you guys hashed all that pin assembly shit out, and life is good.

FWIW, while you can interchange punches, you *really* shouldn't. If you use a roll-pin punch on a flat faced pin, you are destroying that punch, little by little. And, I have seen roll-pins "folded over" by being beat with a flat punch.

Right tool, right job. And, even a great set of punches does not cost life changing money. :rofl:

*stepping off high horse*
I’m pretty sure I built my first 2 lowers with a ball point pen, a small rectangle of derlin/nylon and one of those little baby hammers you get at the 99¢ store :rofl:

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure I built my first 2 lowers with a ball point pen, a small rectangle of derlin/nylon and one of those little baby hammers you get at the 99¢ store :rofl:
:rofl:

Take that, Steve. Feed it to your high horse.

:laugh2:

J/K buddy. Thanks for your sound advice, and you are very right in principle. I don't like abusing any tools.

GunMonkeyINTL

Reaction score
Kickin it Old-School on a Saturday night:

@SteveC talking about his new M1 got me to dig mine out of the back of the safe (which brought the 541x I bought for practice, with it). I hadn’t put hands on either of them in a few years, so I gave them a once over before putting them away.

It got me thinking about shooting the M1. I have a dozen clips of match rounds loaded up, gathering dust, but didn’t want to go through the hassle of going down to my range in the woods (an M1 is kinda loud). So... it dawned on me that I hadn’t shot the 541x is even longer....

I mixed up a big tumbler of bourbon and root beer (which I don’t think I could legally do the last time I actually shot this thing) and took it out to my near range that runs behind my house and along my shop. I normally only shoot pistols, rimfires, and suppressed rifles up here, since it’s just out the basement door.

No fancy targets, optics, or bags and bipods- just a sling, an NRA-style black bull target, and a box of 40gr subsonic... and some bourbon, of course.

I totally forgot how much fun that could be.

I plinked around for a while, getting it fouled back up and adjusting my sights for the sub-sonic round, and then put a couple standing groups on paper- one at 50 and one at 100.

02D15E8E-EF24-4644-957C-B3892B016ED5.jpeg

I would have been disappointed with these targets 20 years ago, but, then again, my eyes were 20 years younger, I practiced pretty regularly... and, of course, I didn’t have ready-access to bourbon then.

This rifle found a place at the front of one of my safes, and is going to come out from time to time now. Shooting sub-sonic rimfire, through a 26” barrel with decent sights is a unique pleasure.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
OK, so now I really want to go shoot that damn rifle. And, it's just sitting there looking at me, wondering why I am ignoring it... sigh.

I just don't have any time to get to the range until Monday, at the earliest.

FML

GunMonkeyINTL

Reaction score
OK, so now I really want to go shoot that damn rifle. And, it's just sitting there looking at me, wondering why I am ignoring it... sigh.

I just don't have any time to get to the range until Monday, at the earliest.

FML
Well... you do gotta get it sighted in for the little whipper-snapper. It’s only right.

He’s getting a reloading kit for his birthday, right?

RIGHT?!?

ETA: oh, and I don’t know what your living situation or commute look like, but start thinking about selling the house, and getting some land.

Truly, a well-equipped living space only needs so many things:
A room to sleep in, a room to poop in (preferably not the same room, but not out of the question), a room with some outlets for your amp, and some space to shoot.

Everything else is just decorative space to keep the wife happy.

Last edited:

GunMonkeyINTL

Reaction score
I got back from plinking today, and decided to doll up the .22.

I know this paint job will get beat up, since it is PlastiDip. But....it lets me try it out before I commit to doing it "for real".

View attachment 417529
Is that an old-school VariX-III 4x?

If so, one of the most under-rated classics. I like the 2-7, too. Best all around hunting scope I’ve ever used.

Reactions: Who

GunMonkeyINTL

Reaction score
It's an old-school 2.5x. it's a really decent scope, if your not all into fancy reticles.
Fancy reticles are meaningless in fixed power scopes. The whole first-focal/second-focal plane argument goes out the window with a fixed power. Know your rifle, know your holdover, put the X where the it needs to go, and the bullet goes where it needs to go.

As long as it’s clear, simple old (quality) glass is perfect.

Reactions: Who

Bownse

Reaction score
Cheap AR500 gongs...

I just got the 10" AR500 gong, with the stand, shipped for $35!

I had a $25 GC and some points from previous purchases and a 5% coupon code "WORK7" . I was able to combine it all with the sale price and make out like a bandit.
I picked one up from Cabella's for about that price. Took it out to the desert a few weeks back. At 100 yards my Model 700 was nailing it every time. The aftermath of the video was from others with their ARs, .22 rifles, and various pistols trying to greater or lesser success.

Not a dent on the plate itself. All the visible stuff is bullet residue.

On the M1 issue: I replaced the less-than-stellar wood that came with mine with some CMP replacements (and their cartouche). The original wood top guard was split and had to be pushed back into place after every other shot. I found that the bags of clips I got back when they were 10 for $1 were showing surface rust. I gave them a good brushing and sonic cleaning then stored them in a baggie with a tablespoon of oil to mediate it from happening again. I'd be interested in olcu812's clips if you find them.

Last edited:

oicu812

Reaction score
Just throwing this out there. I have three cases (3000 rds) of USGI LC 30.06 I got years ago if anyone is interested. Still in wood crates. I don't know if this stuff is in the little cardboard boxes or in clips. Probably boxes. Either way, I don't believe it is available any longer that I have seen. I am not gonna use it. PM if interested. I may have a bag of clips around here also, but would need to do some looking.

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Reaction score
NND: EDC Skinner.

Now that the cold weather is here and I can wear a jacket to conceal, I wanted a solid EDC knife.

I met this guy online while playing a war game and we became friends. Found out he makes knives and I looked at his stuff. I already have a knife problem (can't get enough).

Anyhow, decided on this skinner. It has ironwood scales and 1075 steel. I was gonna go with 1095, but decided a little less carbon would lesson the chance of it breaking. The guy makes amazing knives. Very happy with my new toy. There goes my truck payment again. Wife is gonna kill me...lol.

Now I need a new winter pistol to match it :)

75223636_2394660864140906_5337782456365875200_n.jpg

Latest Threads