Ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

Who

I'm back. Back in the New York groove.
Reaction score
Thanks, Steve!

You said (paraphrasing) “Sometimes I need 240 rounds of .223”.... what are you doing when you need that?!

I’ve now signed up for two classes... the pistol class I posted, plus the 3-Day “gunfighter” course.

If I wanted to burn through another $500+$200 in ammo.... Larry Bickers is running a 2-day pistol course about 15 miles from me in two weeks. I would like to take that, too.... but it’s a little much. I need to pace myself.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Steve!

You said (paraphrasing) “Sometimes I need 240 rounds of .223”.... what are you doing when you need that?!

I’ve now signed up for two classes... the pistol class I posted, plus the 3-Day “gunfighter” course.

If I wanted to burn through another $500+$200 in ammo.... Larry Bickers is running a 2-day pistol course about 15 miles from me in two weeks. I would like to take that, too.... but it’s a little much. I need to pace myself.
It's easy to get carried away, trust me! This kind of stuff is orders of magnitude more fun than punching holes in paper targets over & over.

I suggest that you take what you learn in the first 2 classes and spend a few months perfecting the techniques. That will be a better use of time and save you some money (or, at least defer the cost for a bit). Plus, when you go to the next class(es), your proficiency level will be higher and that will allow you to get more out of the training.

I never learned new stuff, until I could perform the stuff that I learned previously as best as possible and from instinct and muscle memory (without thinking).

Anyway... 8 magazines does not always = 240 rounds - LOL

I guess it's easy to hear 8 mags and assume they will be loaded to 30 rounds, but that's not the case. We do shoot some courses of fire that do call for 1-2 fully loaded mags. But, most of the time our load is only 8-10 rounds per magazine. We're more interested in challenging reloading skills than mag dumping.

For example, at this year's champion's match (twelve shooters, each of us who has won one of the regular monthly matches to qualify for entry) we ran 8 mags of 10 rounds each, over this course of fire, on the clock. it was 160 rounds for the match, since each person ran the course 2X and both times were added together for a final score. So, I needed 8 magazines to compete. Since each stage required a new mag of 10 rounds.

And, that's where the carrier comes in, you have to carry your mags with you, as you run from stage to stage.

Starting at position 1, we shot the steel at 200 yards (5 rounds standing support hand, 5 rounds kneeling strong hand)), dropped the mag, ran to position 2, loaded and shot the zombies (5 rounds prone strong hand, 5 rounds standing support hand)), dropped the mag and ran to position 3.... etc. etc. etc.

Each position always required 2 different engagement methods, combinations of standing, kneeling, prone. And, sometimes it also alternated between strong hand and support hand.... but not every time.

Any procedural errors (shooting from wrong position/hand or in the wrong order) earned you penalty time, any misses earned you penalty time. Hitting no-shoots also earned penalty time. And, any "Failure To Neutralize" (not getting at least 2 hits per target)... yes, you guessed it... earned you penalty time.

No one shot the course "clean", it was too hard. But, the difference in total time between 1st place and last place was about 7 seconds. There were some really good shooters!

Here's a map of the course of fire...

Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 12.06.02 AM.png

Here's a few pix of me running the course. I used the mag carrier, but removed the pistol mag holders....

Shooting the steel at 200 yards position 1(strong hand)

steel 200.jpg

Shooting the Zombies position 2 (strong hand)

Zombies.jpg

Shooting the Sammys position 3 (strong hand)

Sammys.jpg

Shooting the Angled Steel position 6 (support hand)

steel.jpg

Shooting the Sammys - position 8 (support hand)

Sammys OH.jpg

Last edited:

Who

Reaction score
Interesting pistol sight option.....
Meprolight FT Bullseye Sight

1568401257621.png

I heard about this sight earlier this week, when Sig announced...

What's interesting about this? No front sight.

I watched some YouTube videos on it. It might be considered a "poor man's red-dot". But it's not just a dot. It's a fiber-optic dot inside a fiber-optic tube. The clear end of the sight gathers light. For times with no light, the fiber-optics are illuminated by tritium.

That pic above is misleading.... You can't really see the "bullseye" from an angle. In real life, the sight looks like this:

1568401597523.png

1568401614349.png

In a closed closet, it looks like this:

1568401659730.png

Well... not really. The cell camera is better at picking up light than my eyes are. But you get the idea.

Installation was easy. Walking around inside the house (daytime, lots of light) comparing it to my beloved XD Tactical sights (fiber optic front sight).. this Meprolight Bullseye is brighter in every condition.

In instances where the target area is lit, but the gun is in darkness, nether sight is any good in the illumination department, so it's a wash, there.

I will be trying it out at the range.

Who

Reaction score
Side note... turns out no fancy "sight pusher" tool is needed for removing factory plastic Glock sights. I used the corner of a wood bench, up against the sight, then just shoved. The sight popped right out.

45WinMag

Reaction score
Ordered a Polymer 80 PF45 (Glock 20/21) receiver today. For starters, I'm going to build it with a 21 slide and a 20 barrel (10mm). I will eventually get a 21 barrel too (.45 ACP). I would go with the 20 slide, but they are almost impossible to find right now and the 21 slide gives me the option of both calibers. I'll probably use a 20 or 22 lb spring to compensate for the slightly lighter slide when using 10mm. The only real difference is the extractor, but most reports I've read of people dropping a 10mm barrel in the 21 slide say they haven't experienced any problems.

Who

Reaction score
I gave serious thought to a P80 to get the proper grip angle for my Glock.

For now I’ve decided to just live with the Glock angle, because I like how fat it is with the backstrap insert.

Bownse

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Larry Bickers is running a 2-day pistol course about 15 miles from me in two weeks.
Might that be Vickers? I've not heard of the first but haven't of the second.

Last edited:

Who

Reaction score
Yes, Vickers... misspelled.

Bownse

Silver Supporter
Reaction score

Deftone

Reaction score
I drove the M-925 5 ton 6x6. Yea, that's me.

Towed an M198 155mm Howitzer

I also drove the Deuce and a half and the M-151 jeeps, but they replaced them with Humvees.

MSB

Reaction score
I drove the M-925 5 ton 6x6. Yea, that's me.

Towed an M198 155mm Howitzer

I also drove the Deuce and a half and the M-151 jeeps, but they replaced them with Humvees.
I just watched a few docs on flak during wwii the other day and everyone praised the German 88, but 153, my goodness, were they trying to shoot the space shuttle down? Guess I need to brush up on my post wwii military stuff.

45WinMag

Reaction score
PF45 in cobalt arrived today. Going to be a 10mm. I was actually expecting the color to be more of a dark grey/blue, but I like the color I received more than the one I expected. Looks like a brown/bronze in person.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
Just FYI, here is what I was talking about gentlemen....the guide rod on the Sig Sauer P938 (and possibly others) is a 2 piece unit with a head and a stem......keep a check on the stem as it can (and has, in my experience) work it's way loose from the head and then fall out the front of the slide at the most inopportune times, rendering it lost to the ages....and your weapon inoperable.

IMG_1558.JPG

GunMonkeyINTL

Reaction score
I’ve had a couple and never had a guide rod come apart. There’s no reason you’ll ever need to take that apart, so, if yours wants to come apart on its own, take the opportunity of it being two-pieces to clean, degrease, and Loc-Tite it together.

Sucks that it screwed up your shooting session, but you can fix that permanently.

ETA: if you’re really worried about it coming apart again, you could stake it across the joint. A single good whack would mechanically lock the two parts together.