Ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

oicu812

Reaction score
(One guy had an 11” barrel. It was fun to watch at night, but not very stealthy ;) )

View attachment 414887
Some cats get off on the flash from a shorty at night so they can impress their friends I reckon, but as you said, real world application doesn't work. Different strokes I guess. Night blindness is of course an issue, irrespective of giving your position away. There are some muzzle devices out there made to enhance they muzzle flash. That is for the Rambo guy.

There are also flash suppressors that will mitigate the flash from a shorty say versus a standard birdcage, but you will never get rid of all of it save for the proper suppressor/silencer. Even then you may see a "fire fly" from the suppressor.

scott1970

Reaction score
I had some fun shooting over the last 3 days. 2,000 rounds (9mm and 5.56). Three day “gunfighter” class.

Classroom time
Shooting while moving
Low-light shooting.
No-light shooting.
Full auto shooting (not much)
Vehicle bailouts.
Shooting from inside vehicle (including shooting through windshield)
Barricade shooting positions.
Transition from carbine to pistol.
Multi-target engagements.

Eventually we worked to moving though a field exercise of no-light shooting with a half-dozen barricades to move to, while engaging enough targets where your rifle will run dry, and you’d have to finish with your pistol.

(When I say “no light”, I mean working by starlight or your flashlight. We weren’t taking the shots without lighting the target).

(One guy had an 11” barrel. It was fun to watch at night, but not very stealthy ;) )

View attachment 414887

Putting together many skills into a cohesive fighting “flow” was a serious eye-opener.

And for fun we had a steel-plate shoot. In darkness where you were expected to flash your flashlight just long enough to get the accurate shots. Man-on-man until one shooter is crowned night-shooting champion. I won. :)

Did you try the 9mm on a windshield? If so, what happened? One of my guys at work unloaded on a car, and the windshield successfully defeated the .40 cal he was carrying. Upon penetrating the glass the bullet immediately drove straight down into the dash.

scott1970

Reaction score
We shot from inside.

The instructions were to aim low. The bullets definitely deflect. Aim low, if they deflect high, still good. If they deflect low, still not so bad. If you aim center, and they deflect high, you get a miss.

That said, there were many people who got misses on the first shot. Controlled-pairs were fast, and the glass was compromised enough where followup shots were well placed.

If you follow-up shots were far from each other (moving target) you might miss with all shots.

Odd angles to the windshield made things worse. Shooting driver’s side towards the far right of the windshield, for example.

If you want to play, do what our school did.... head to the pick-and-pull with two screwdrivers and some baking wire. Ask the guy at the counter if you can remove some broken windshields, and buy them for $5. They have no use for broken windshields, and it helps them get them out of the way.

Better yet, ask them to just set some aside for the PD.

You can make an angled frame for your range, and set it on a tarp for easy cleanup.

Shoot through the non-cracked part of the scrap windshields. We just propped the windshields on the front of an already-shot-up Durango, and shot from inside.

Those are some good suggestions. Thanks.

I have a windshield panel from an airplane I’ve been intending to take to the range for several years now. I’m very curious as to what a .45-70 will do to it. I just keep forgetting.

Bownse

Reaction score
Did some more time behind my new scope last weekend. My brother also finally got off of 100 yards and onto 200 yards (for a bit before his less-than-perfect scope install loosened up and sent him back to 50 and 100 after resecuring it).

I was shooting 3 shot groups all day, so the one extra shot on my target was probably from another shooter that was either confused about his lane or did it intentionally.

Attachments

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Even though it's a one-piece, did he lap it? Do these even need that?
So much controversy over lapping rings. Very polarized. I fall into the camp of "Don't bother. Just buy good mounts and install them to the proper torque value". Other folks would never mount a scope to the rings without lapping the rings.

The only times that I have ever had issues with a scope not holding a consistent zero was when I either used cheap mounting rings, or I did not properly torque the screws.

I've been shooting with scopes for a long time and like with all things firearms... Buy once. Cry once. And, get good tools and use them properly.

MSB

Reaction score
I've found that all the two piece rings i've had over the years needed at least a little lapping, usually the more they cost the less they needed. Does it really make a difference? probably not, but for a hunting rifle or something I was going to take on a trip which cost me some $, I'd definitely do it. I've only had 1, one piece mount, a Nikon, and it was perfect, did not need any lapping.

but that's just my experience. I do it on all mine, i'd much rather spend the extra few minutes in the beginning and have the peace of mind to know it was done to the best of my ability the first time. So far, no issues over the years.

45WinMag

Reaction score
80% Glock painted (Big Brain Graphics nanochem Midnight Blue) and dipped with silver weave. I masked and dipped one side, waiting for it to dry before masking and dipping the other side. The blue shows more in person, pics bring out the silver. The Midnight Blue looks incredible - it's a really deep blue that looks slightly different depending on light.

This one originally had rails, but they were causing issues with the hydro dip. I filled and reshaped the rails with plastic weld. I also reshaped the trigger guard to a less pointy/aggressive profile. I also filled and sanded out all of the Polymer 80 brand lettering and logos.

Edit: Dipped the other side. It's supposed to rain tomorrow, so I will clearcoat on Monday.

Last edited:

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've found that all the two piece rings i've had over the years needed at least a little lapping, usually the more they cost the less they needed. Does it really make a difference? probably not, but for a hunting rifle or something I was going to take on a trip which cost me some $, I'd definitely do it. I've only had 1, one piece mount, a Nikon, and it was perfect, did not need any lapping.

but that's just my experience. I do it on all mine, i'd much rather spend the extra few minutes in the beginning and have the peace of mind to know it was done to the best of my ability the first time. So far, no issues over the years.
One of my match buddies is the same way. He really puts a lot of effort into scope mounting: leveling, lapping, torque settings, etc. He's very meticulous with his work. I always appreciate his attention to detail with his competition guns.

scott1970

Reaction score
Colt has released a variety of 1911s in 38 Super, and they have offered finishes not exclusively geared toward a Mexican drug lord.

Who wants to sponsor me for a blued model?

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
I got so behind in this thread. I'm going to have to catch up. Hope you guys are all doing well.

I have an 4x ACOG incoming. Though I've used them, I've never actually owned one. Pretty stoked to get some real time and experience with it.

I put a TLR-8 G on a 19 of mine. Really amazing how much smaller and lighter that is than the TLR-2 HL G, but still nearly the same effectiveness. Carrying it, I don't notice the difference at all between no light and the TLR-8. I had to give Crossbreed some more business after the new light install, of course.

Not much else exciting happing around here, in that regard. It's starting to get cold in the desert, though, and winter is often down-time for guitars and up-time for other interests!

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I got so behind in this thread. I'm going to have to catch up. Hope you guys are all doing well.

I have an 4x ACOG incoming. Though I've used them, I've never actually owned one. Pretty stoked to get some real time and experience with it.

I put a TLR-8 G on a 19 of mine. Really amazing how much smaller and lighter that is than the TLR-2 HL G, but still nearly the same effectiveness. Carrying it, I don't notice the difference at all between no light and the TLR-8. I had to give Crossbreed some more business after the new light install, of course.

Not much else exciting happing around here, in that regard. It's starting to get cold in the desert, though, and winter is often down-time for guitars and up-time for other interests!
Nice score on the ACOG; well done.

I love the TLR-8 and so does my 19 :naughty:

TLR-8 on Glock-1.JPG

Bownse

Reaction score
Seems too "bright" for what I would consider for a carry gun. Nice work. It's a personal taste thing.

45WinMag

Reaction score
Seems too "bright" for what I would consider for a carry gun. Nice work. It's a personal taste thing.
Not a carry gun. This one is just a toy.

Looks slippery
It's actually not too bad - not any more slick than the matte clear feels on my AR15 prototype replica handguards (same brand of clearcoat, just different level of gloss). I think the high gloss just makes it look more slick.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tried one of these and was extremely impressed. I went home and found amazing reviews and that Ian from Forgotten Weapons had selected it for his WWSD build. Ordered one to install.

While I was on the phone ordering, I ended up with another Holosun dot, this one for a 590. :)

scott1970

Reaction score
Midsouth Shooter Supply has 12,000 Fiocchi small pistol primers for $290ish delivered.

So far, it’s the best deal I can find. Mine got here really quick, but they are located in Tennessee. They even come in a little wooden box.

• Love
Reactions: Who

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Tried one of these and was extremely impressed. I went home and found amazing reviews and that Ian from Forgotten Weapons had selected it for his WWSD build. Ordered one to install.

While I was on the phone ordering, I ended up with another Holosun dot, this one for a 590. :)

Wow... I was hoping that this would be one of those $100 rare finds. But, for that kind of money you can get a Geissele. Admittedly, I have no knowledge of Hiperfire. But, I do know that Geissele is what almost all of us run in our competition guns. They are in all of my AR platforms.

I hope that you like it, though. It looks well made and if it "feels" right, then it is right!