Ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

GunMonkeyINTL

Reaction score
@HardCore Troubadour , here are some pics.

This one shows the different 938 and 290 mags. Left to right:
938 7rd,
938 7rd w/ pinky extension removed
938 6rd
290 7rd
290 8rd
B3F6C708-668C-45D9-9350-1993A8CED713.jpeg

This is with an 8rd P290 magazine I modified to work in my P938. I’d forgotten, but I had to cut a mag catch notch in it. Took 5 minutes to measure and cut with a dremel, but still is modified.
27A4B2D0-9B21-4129-A6E1-516E27FC0FD9.jpeg

Here’s what makes the P365 such an attractive option. A 365 12rd and 10rd next to a 938 7rd and 6rd.
32E6F53F-8C28-4FE2-80C5-C5F7F3A6AFA1.jpeg

scott1970

Reaction score
I know the intent is to have less printing when carrying concealed. The grip length is the hardest part to conceal.

I personally feel like folks who carry make way too much over what "platform", what caliber, how many rounds, number of mags, sights, concealability/cover garments/length of grip, etc. when the focus should be on the ability to use the sidearm.

I've open carried in uniform for over two decades, and I've carried concealed off duty for the same amount of time. Folks ain't paying attention to you. Make a half way decent attempt to conceal and the vast majority of folks you will encounter throughout the day will have no idea you are armed. I carried a full sized Glock 9mm into Dollywood yesterday with an IWB holster and a tee shirt, walked past numerous security officers, countless visitors, and no one noticed.

Wanna gain the real advantage when it comes to carrying a handgun? Get online, research the mess out of self defense schools/instructors, and take as much training as you can reasonably afford. Then practice what you've learned. This is what makes the real difference. It ain't length of grip vs. length of slide, caliber, number of rounds you tote, etc. It's skill and proficiency.

Next to training and proficiency I'd probably list quality of belt and holster assuming someone knows the difference between quality sidearms and crap.

Rant off.

scott1970

Reaction score
My Lee 4-20 casting pot finally died after a good dozen years. I bought it used at a fair price, and I definitely got my money's worth over the years. I poured tens of thousands of rounds from this thing, but it's over and done with.

My brand new Lee 4-20 arrived today, and it is phenomenal. The drips are gone, the temperature control is very specific, and I'm back to rolling in bulk projectiles again. I really can't get over just how nice this new pot is compared to the worn out, old one.

Hairless_Ape

Doc
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not me. The Shield still does not feel right in my hand even with the Hogue grip. My CZs have felt right from the day I first picked them up.
I'm with you on the shield. The only one I find fits my hand at all is the 45. The smaller grip of the other calibers is too dainty, and I by no means have large hands.

Who

I'm back. Back in the New York groove.
Reaction score
.....Wanna gain the real advantage when it comes to carrying a handgun? Get online, research the mess out of self defense schools/instructors, and take as much training as you can reasonably afford....
Funny you should mention that... I’m thinking of taking this one next month:

6A59CEED-8BEE-4170-ABEE-83BE4D0D4D7F.jpeg

21AC1516-FC22-4C0C-AFCE-079A73B364E7.jpeg

EA54698B-240B-4497-A81B-F8B3B4FB5CFC.jpeg

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, maybe you can with your superior web-hunting powers, help me out a bit here.

I want a CVA muzzleloading shotgun kit. 12 ga, side-by-side.

I know they make them, or they used to, for years and years.

I saw some mention of them when I googled, but their site is extremely difficult to navigate. I can barely get the page up, let alone move around on there. And it's rather ambiguous anyway.

I don't care if its CVA, or some other outfit that carries CVA or an independent.

It just needs to be a reasonably-price DIY kit for a side-side dubba-barrel "coach gun". Percussion.

I saw some bullshit from Dixie gun works as a kit for almost $1.000. ..for a kit.

Bullshit. I know I can get a kit for around the $300 mark.

Can any of you help me out?

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
I personally feel like folks who carry make way too much over what "platform", what caliber, how many rounds, number of mags, sights, concealability/cover garments/length of grip, etc. when the focus should be on the ability to use the sidearm.

I've open carried in uniform for over two decades, and I've carried concealed off duty for the same amount of time. Folks ain't paying attention to you. Make a half way decent attempt to conceal and the vast majority of folks you will encounter throughout the day will have no idea you are armed. I carried a full sized Glock 9mm into Dollywood yesterday with an IWB holster and a tee shirt, walked past numerous security officers, countless visitors, and no one noticed.

Wanna gain the real advantage when it comes to carrying a handgun? Get online, research the mess out of self defense schools/instructors, and take as much training as you can reasonably afford. Then practice what you've learned. This is what makes the real difference. It ain't length of grip vs. length of slide, caliber, number of rounds you tote, etc. It's skill and proficiency.

Next to training and proficiency I'd probably list quality of belt and holster assuming someone knows the difference between quality sidearms and crap.

Rant off.
hear hear.

More emphasis on using the damn thing, becoming proficient, than buying and clamping on the latest, greatest techno gadget.

Who

Reaction score
Dave, this was listed five months ago but isn’t listed as sold:

New, but seems expensive:

Bownse

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of that has to do with body type.

Excellent points about training and practice.

MSB

Reaction score
A lot of that has to do with body type.
good Lord this. I could appendix a Barret and no one would notice, give me anything at 4 o'clock and you'd notice it at 100 yds.

obviously that's an exaggeration, but that's just my body type. Appendix was not my first choice, but everything else was terribly uncomfortable.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
none of you P938 guys warned me about the guide rod being 2 piece and having a habit of backing out from the seat....and then of course, backing forward, all the way out of the slide....only to nestle somewhere in the grass etc. etc never to be found again........lol, all I can do is laugh, it seems to be a common problem.

I will call customer service tomorrow and hopefully they will replace without payment, and if not, it will cost me $20 (and a tube of red locktight).

If you did not know, here is your warning.

Who

Reaction score
Will it run without the guide rod? Full length guide rods are an answer to a problem that doesn't exist on 1911s.

I have a 1911 with a 2 piece guide rod that I ran for a long time without the front section.

BUT, your Sig isn't a 1911, so I don't know if it causes a problem.

Dun Ringill

Premium Member
Reaction score
All good stuff, Who. Make sure that you also invest in some situational awareness training, too. You can (and should) work on that all the time.
It doesn't replace training, but I watch vids like this in my spare time. It pays to be aware of your surroundings!!

Bownse

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
My comments were not directed toward you, by the way.
No worries. I never thought they were. Just adding another data point. EG: I don't like inside the wasteband holsters. Not even a body type thing. Personal comfort and preference are also issues affecting choice.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
That 938 is built on a 1911 platform.....

I guess it will run without the guid rod until you remove the slide for cleaning.....I never had a problem while firing it....

hell, when I tore it down and the spring and guide rod head popped lose, I actually figured that the rod was also there somewhere....and spent about an hour looking in, around, behind, and over my work bench.....drove me nuts.

once I read some things online, it probably actually slid out the end of the slide while I was shooting etc. etc.

Sig Sauer dropped me one in the mail this morning....great service.

Last edited:
Reactions: Who

Who

Reaction score
@SteveC, how do you carry your magazines for 3-gun? I’m taking a three-day carbine/pistol class next month. I’ve never owned or used a mag carrier for a rifle.

I’m fine with gear for a pistol. I’m not looking to spend money getting tacti-cool, but I will need something for spare AR mags.

For me, I’d prefer to keep things on my belt. Mainly because I don’t want to look like a military wanna-be.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
@SteveC, how do you carry your magazines for 3-gun? I’m taking a three-day carbine/pistol class next month. I’ve never owned or used a mag carrier for a rifle.

I’m fine with gear for a pistol. I’m not looking to spend money getting tacti-cool, but I will need something for spare AR mags.

For me, I’d prefer to keep things on my belt. Mainly because I don’t want to look like a military wanna-be.
LOL -- Well, I'm not into the tacti-cool madness, either. But, in this case the best vehicle that I found for carrying both AR and pistol mags (in sufficient quantities) is this vest. It will give you at least 4 AR mags and up to 6 pistol mags. There is an inside front web pouch, where you can carry a couple more mags. Sometimes I need 8 AR mags, so I store the other 2 in that pocket.

Condor Recon Chest Rig (Black)

There are other vest/carriers, most are similar to this one, some are better, some are worse, however, most are much more expensive. This is a great value and I knew folks who used it, before I got it. So, it came well recommended.

So, yea... it's a little bit tactical, but it does exactly what I need. It will serve you well, too. And, it will not break the bank!!!

To complete the carriers...

I have a belt mounted carrier system for shotgun shells. It arranges the shells in a special way, so that I can grab them in groups and feed them, rapidly, 4 in succession. There are some great YT videos that show how this works, better than I can explain it. I can't find the model that I use anywhere just now, but they all look, work and cost about the same.

That may change soon, as magazine-fed 3-gun shotties are starting to make their way onto the 3-gun scene... they could be game changing, if (big IF) they prove to be reliable. I'm looking at one now, but not yet ready to take the plunge. I will need to upgrade my vest to hold at least 6 of those mags, too.

Good luck with the class. It should be great!

Reactions: Who