Ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

Teledan

Reaction score
My buddy shot a clay pidgeon with his hawken .50 caliber muzzleloader once. We tried for the rest of the day to do it again but never could.

oicu812

Reaction score
They have been quietly seizing guns here in CA, using a "co-occupant on prescription drugs" as an excuse. essentially If your wife takes Prozac, they can confiscate. Now it's a red flag law, basically anyone can accuse anyone else of just about anything and have their guns seized. I doubt if they will even use that as justification, I'm sure they already have a list.

Newsom also signed a bill to eliminate HAM radio relay towers. Think about it.

Problematic for sure, and folks everywhere should be forewarned. I think this is a look into what many states if not the country can expect. I know this, I don't want to be the guy doing the confiscation. Won't end up well. Be nice to see a few Californians stand up in some fashion.

Bownse

Reaction score
They have been quietly seizing guns here in CA, using a "co-occupant on prescription drugs" as an excuse. essentially If your wife takes Prozac, they can confiscate. Now it's a red flag law, basically anyone can accuse anyone else of just about anything and have their guns seized. I doubt if they will even use that as justification, I'm sure they already have a list.

Newsom also signed a bill to eliminate HAM radio relay towers. Think about it.
Do you have a link that either quotes the law or addresses it in some way?

Deftone

Reaction score
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - Hon. Roger T. Benitez

Dun Ringill

Shall not be infringed
Premium Member
Reaction score
California is insane on guns, with or without ham operators. I hope it all gets overturned and fixed.

Bownse

Reaction score
Geeze. I wish it was somewhere other than The Blaze. But thanks anyway.

Deftone

Reaction score
Geeze. I wish it was somewhere other than The Blaze. But thanks anyway.
I know read it in a hard copy magazine, the blaze link was all I could find. This type of thing gets scrubbed from the Internet all the time.

smk506

Reaction score
I had some fun shooting over the last 3 days. 2,000 rounds (9mm and 5.56). Three day “gunfighter” class.

Classroom time
Shooting while moving
Low-light shooting.
No-light shooting.
Full auto shooting (not much)
Vehicle bailouts.
Shooting from inside vehicle (including shooting through windshield)
Barricade shooting positions.
Transition from carbine to pistol.
Multi-target engagements.

Eventually we worked to moving though a field exercise of no-light shooting with a half-dozen barricades to move to, while engaging enough targets where your rifle will run dry, and you’d have to finish with your pistol.

(When I say “no light”, I mean working by starlight or your flashlight. We weren’t taking the shots without lighting the target).

(One guy had an 11” barrel. It was fun to watch at night, but not very stealthy ;) )

View attachment 414887

Putting together many skills into a cohesive fighting “flow” was a serious eye-opener.

And for fun a steel-plate shoot in darkness where you were expected to flash your flashlight just long enough to get the accurate shots. Man-on-man until one shooter is crowned night-shooting champion. And I won. :)

That’s the way to do it! :D

Bownse

Reaction score

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I had some fun shooting over the last 3 days. 2,000 rounds (9mm and 5.56). Three day “gunfighter” class.

Classroom time
Shooting while moving
Low-light shooting.
No-light shooting.
Full auto shooting (not much)
Vehicle bailouts.
Shooting from inside vehicle (including shooting through windshield)
Barricade shooting positions.
Transition from carbine to pistol.
Multi-target engagements.

Eventually we worked to moving though a field exercise of no-light shooting with a half-dozen barricades to move to, while engaging enough targets where your rifle will run dry, and you’d have to finish with your pistol.

(When I say “no light”, I mean working by starlight or your flashlight. We weren’t taking the shots without lighting the target).

(One guy had an 11” barrel. It was fun to watch at night, but not very stealthy ;) )

View attachment 414887

Putting together many skills into a cohesive fighting “flow” was a serious eye-opener.

And for fun we had a steel-plate shoot. In darkness where you were expected to flash your flashlight just long enough to get the accurate shots. Man-on-man until one shooter is crowned night-shooting champion. I won. :)
Nice work, man!!! You're ready for some serious competitive shooting. Keep training and start looking for the sanctioned matches.

Bownse

Reaction score
My brother finally got off the 100 yard line last week. He's spent the past year at the 100 yard line, back to 50 and back to 100. I started wondering so asked. He's been working with 2 or 3 rifles; all of which are semi-auto. One is a Chinese knock-off of the M1A and may not be that accurate to begin with (imagine that). Add to that his penchant for swapping optics when the least little thing goes wrong, and you have a recipe of never-ending zeroing.

He broke down and got a Tikka in 6.5 CM and took it to the range last time. Tack driving 1 hole groups once he got on paper at 50 and moved to 100 for the zero. He then joined me at the 200 yard range.

I'm learning my new scope (Trijicon AccuPower) that uses one of those xmas tree MOA reticles. After decades of MilDot, I see the allure of swapping back to the familiar but I'm sticking it out to get through the learning curve. My comfort with MilDot didn't happen overnight either.

I then looked up from my work and he was back at 50 yards. He reports that POI started going whacky and he lost zero. Oopsie! Given that he's using the same monoblock Spuhr that I have and the same scope (Trijicon 4.5-30x56 34mm tube), it's not weak rings or failing scope. Turns out he did his own mounting... I think I may have found the weak link in this long odyssey. Wanna bet that the mount screws on his (something) backed out and the scope loosened in its mounts?

Last edited: