Ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

THDNUT

Reaction score
I just read that Dick's Sporting Goods has destroyed $5 million worth of those evil black rifles.

GunMonkeyINTL

Reaction score
Here’s the wife’s HD / our front door varmint rifle. The dedicated can for it still in NFA jail, but should be out any week now. I’ve got it set up with a tri-lug so we can lock the can up if we’re leaving town for any amount of time. I had a work can on it for a while and she loved it.

7 rounds of .357 HPs, an auto-on/off Romeo5, and a 600l offset light. The wife is deadly with this thing.

View attachment 410919
357 side loader, with a grown-up sized loop...I'm in love.

JAILBREAK!

22525788-345F-43B8-B548-2B6BB16541ED.jpeg

GunMonkeyINTL

Reaction score
A little modular mount shenanigans, and it’s muffling a whole ‘nother ride. K-length on the rifle, full-length on the pistol.

Granted, I think CF pistol cans are kinda silly, just from a form-factor standpoint, but, hey, if you can run your pistol caliber carbine can on an actual pistol from time to time, why not?

AA74FBC2-189A-4BB2-B590-239F35F16D31.jpeg

GunMonkeyINTL

Reaction score
What does CF mean?
Just making the distinction between a center-fire, which will always still be kinda loud, and a rimfire pistol which can actually be made Hollywood-quiet.

Putting a can on either one is going to wreck the form-factor of a pistol, but at least the RF one can be made essentially silent.

It is nice shooting a .45 ACP without ear-pro though. Shooting on steel is louder than the gun going off.

45WinMag

Reaction score
A little modular mount shenanigans, and it’s muffling a whole ‘nother ride. K-length on the rifle, full-length on the pistol.

Granted, I think CF pistol cans are kinda silly, just from a form-factor standpoint, but, hey, if you can run your pistol caliber carbine can on an actual pistol from time to time, why not?

View attachment 412929
I've never found a can to be too unwieldy on a centerfire pistol, and it's well worth the tradeoff in length to have a hearing-safe weapon as your nightstand gun. I also find that a can makes a centerfire pistol easier to shoot. Less perceived recoil, no muzzle blast, easier and faster follow-up shots - almost feels like shooting a toy.

GunMonkeyINTL

Reaction score
Obsidian’s a great can. I dig the shielded SS baffles. makes cleaning a no-brainer, even if you “forgot” to clean it in a long time. It’s neary bomb-proof.

My Tirant is basically the same thing (weight, dimensions, modularity), but with unshielded aluminum baffles (SS blast). If you let it get too dirty, you’re going to have a hell of a time getting it apart.

The weights of the two are nearly the same, so the only advantage of the Tirant is not having to have tools to disassemble or reconfigure it. I’ve thought about making up shielded SS baffles for the Tirant, but it would probably end up weighing almost twice as much, which is a testament to what Rugged pulled off with the Obsidian.

Bownse

Reaction score
No tools needed. You can use some if you want to grab the front cap. You can remove the piston and use it (with it's "fingers") to remove a stuck end cap (over tightened). I've rarely needed to though; just using fingernails and fingertips to do the job (once cooled).

Last edited:
Reactions: Who

Olds442

Reaction score
back when i was a youngin', we went to the range often. our scouts troupe had some leaders that were blue. a lot of the same kids were in a park district shooting club. we were good shots with a 22 at a good distance. our targets were 2 inches across.

with my cousins, uncles, brother and dad we hunted in iowa for pheasant and deer. i'll never forget getting up at 4:30AM so we could walk along fence lines through 2' of snow to hope for a shot at a bird. big hopes. but they were just as interested in passing a brandy bottle around the car. this was the mid 1970s. i did take out a field mouse cutting across a frozen creek (pronounced crick in iowa).

but hell yes, i was a great shot. at a Boy Scouts competition we used the same sized targets at a ridiculously short distance compared to what i was used to. i put all 5 through the center, but only 4 holes could be outlined. (i had to have put the 5th through the area already evacuated by the other 4.) the entire piece of paper that contained the 2" target was an 11"x17".

i was disqualified because they could only find 4 of the 5 shots on the paper. they said i must have missed with the 5th shot. i was furious. i asked the leader, "if i grouped 4 all touching in the bullseye, how likely is it that i completely missed the entire 11x17 paper with my fifth? he said "that's what district says, and we can't prove otherwise." i replied, "give me 5 more shots, i'll make a smiley face for them." my request was denied.

Boy Scouts never disappointed me more than that. I'm offended? no, just pissed to this day i guess. haha

so i want a semi auto shotgun and a decent rifle. not for them, they're already dead, i just want some good home defense arms. :D

i still have my cheap remmington 22 rifle with scope for the range. but i don't consider it "protection".

Deftone

Reaction score
CA governor enacted toughest firearms seizure laws in the country today.
They have been quietly seizing guns here in CA, using a "co-occupant on prescription drugs" as an excuse. essentially If your wife takes Prozac, they can confiscate. Now it's a red flag law, basically anyone can accuse anyone else of just about anything and have their guns seized. I doubt if they will even use that as justification, I'm sure they already have a list.

Newsom also signed a bill to eliminate HAM radio relay towers. Think about it.

Bigfoot410

Premium Member
Reaction score
back when i was a youngin', we went to the range often. our scouts troupe had some leaders that were blue. a lot of the same kids were in a park district shooting club. we were good shots with a 22 at a good distance. our targets were 2 inches across.

with my cousins, uncles, brother and dad we hunted in iowa for pheasant and deer. i'll never forget getting up at 4:30AM so we could walk along fence lines through 2' of snow to hope for a shot at a bird. big hopes. but they were just as interested in passing a brandy bottle around the car. this was the mid 1970s. i did take out a field mouse cutting across a frozen creek (pronounced crick in iowa).

but hell yes, i was a great shot. at a Boy Scouts competition we used the same sized targets at a ridiculously short distance compared to what i was used to. i put all 5 through the center, but only 4 holes could be outlined. (i had to have put the 5th through the area already evacuated by the other 4.) the entire piece of paper that contained the 2" target was an 11"x17".

i was disqualified because they could only find 4 of the 5 shots on the paper. they said i must have missed with the 5th shot. i was furious. i asked the leader, "if i grouped 4 all touching in the bullseye, how likely is it that i completely missed the entire 11x17 paper with my fifth? he said "that's what district says, and we can't prove otherwise." i replied, "give me 5 more shots, i'll make a smiley face for them." my request was denied.

Boy Scouts never disappointed me more than that. I'm offended? no, just pissed to this day i guess. haha

so i want a semi auto shotgun and a decent rifle. not for them, they're already dead, i just want some good home defense arms. :D

i still have my cheap remmington 22 rifle with scope for the range. but i don't consider it "protection".
I was out duck hunting with a buddy many years ago. We saw one of the boys(Billy) from the reserve out hunting rabbits with a 10/22 and watched him shoot a mallard in flight at around 60 yds. Dropped him with one shot right out of the air. To this day, nobody believes he did that. I didn't even take the shot and it pisses me off to this day that nobody believed this incredible shot. Wish we had cell phones back then and had a video......

Dun Ringill

Shall not be infringed
Premium Member
Reaction score
They have been quietly seizing guns here in CA, using a "co-occupant on prescription drugs" as an excuse. essentially If your wife takes Prozac, they can confiscate. Now it's a red flag law, basically anyone can accuse anyone else of just about anything and have their guns seized. I doubt if they will even use that as justification, I'm sure they already have a list.

Newsom also signed a bill to eliminate HAM radio relay towers. Think about it.
Shitty

Deftone

Reaction score
I was out duck hunting with a buddy many years ago. We saw one of the boys(Billy) from the reserve out hunting rabbits with a 10/22 and watched him shoot a mallard in flight at around 60 yds. Dropped him with one shot right out of the air. To this day, nobody believes he did that. I didn't even take the shot and it pisses me off to this day that nobody believed this incredible shot. Wish we had cell phones back then and had a video......
When I was a kid I shot a hovering hummingbird with my Daisy 880 BB gun, my buddy saw me do it. I could hit my neighbor's roof top TV antenna post with it. Don't care if anyone believes it or not.

(I know shooting a hummingbird...not cool)