Ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

45WinMag

Reaction score
Ordered a Polymer 80 PF45 (Glock 20/21) receiver today. For starters, I'm going to build it with a 21 slide and a 20 barrel (10mm). I will eventually get a 21 barrel too (.45 ACP). I would go with the 20 slide, but they are almost impossible to find right now and the 21 slide gives me the option of both calibers. I'll probably use a 20 or 22 lb spring to compensate for the slightly lighter slide when using 10mm. The only real difference is the extractor, but most reports I've read of people dropping a 10mm barrel in the 21 slide say they haven't experienced any problems.

Bownse

Reaction score
Larry Bickers is running a 2-day pistol course about 15 miles from me in two weeks.
Might that be Vickers? I've not heard of the first but haven't of the second.

Last edited:

Bownse

Reaction score

MSB

Reaction score
I drove the M-925 5 ton 6x6. Yea, that's me.

Towed an M198 155mm Howitzer

I also drove the Deuce and a half and the M-151 jeeps, but they replaced them with Humvees.
I just watched a few docs on flak during wwii the other day and everyone praised the German 88, but 153, my goodness, were they trying to shoot the space shuttle down? Guess I need to brush up on my post wwii military stuff.

45WinMag

Reaction score
PF45 in cobalt arrived today. Going to be a 10mm. I was actually expecting the color to be more of a dark grey/blue, but I like the color I received more than the one I expected. Looks like a brown/bronze in person.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
Just FYI, here is what I was talking about gentlemen....the guide rod on the Sig Sauer P938 (and possibly others) is a 2 piece unit with a head and a stem......keep a check on the stem as it can (and has, in my experience) work it's way loose from the head and then fall out the front of the slide at the most inopportune times, rendering it lost to the ages....and your weapon inoperable.

IMG_1558.JPG

GunMonkeyINTL

Reaction score
I’ve had a couple and never had a guide rod come apart. There’s no reason you’ll ever need to take that apart, so, if yours wants to come apart on its own, take the opportunity of it being two-pieces to clean, degrease, and Loc-Tite it together.

Sucks that it screwed up your shooting session, but you can fix that permanently.

ETA: if you’re really worried about it coming apart again, you could stake it across the joint. A single good whack would mechanically lock the two parts together.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
it actually did not interrupt my shooting session...weapon worked fine.

As I explained in my first post, it was not until I got home and started to clean the weapon did I discover this.....when I removed the slide, the spring and head jumped out, I actually searched for the rod for about an hour with no luck...I was on my workbench without a lot of places for it to "hide".

After doing some research and finding this to be a common recurring problem,, my summation was that it came out during the session......

the pic is the old head and the new, complete guide-rod that Sig sent me after I called them.

Bownse

Reaction score
Went to the range early when I woke up at 5am and figured "screw it. i'm staying up." To the range and home before the rain. Rezeroed after mounting a new scope. I was out of the ammo it likes so threw a smattering of also-rans into my range bag and had some fun.

Attachments