Ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

Bigfoot410

Premium Member
Reaction score
The tape and numbers match a specific rifle. Prototype #27 has the same numbers and tape.
You could easily sell those examples to a museum or collector. Spectacular work. Not that I know anything about anything, but from the pics you have shown of the real thing and your replicas, you should maybe try building a few '59 Bursts. Probably do better than most at the accuracy. :)

LeslieFan

Reaction score
Need some opinions on this FTL 22lr

Had 11 of 64 rounds FTL and this was the only one that look like that. I used four different brands of ammo with a brand new magazine. for now I'm blaming the FTLs on the magazine.

What causes this ?
0820190013.jpg

0819192333.jpg

Last edited:

smk506

Reaction score
It looks like it stove piped and the bolt crushed it. Did the previous round eject ok? It wasn’t in There with it by any chance?

LeslieFan

Reaction score
I think I just realized what happened. here is a photo of the magazine as well as the mag loader that comes with the pistol.

medium-10305.jpg
0820190232.jpg

At the top of the slide on the mag you'll see that round tab. There is one on each side that allows for compression of the spring while loading the magazine in the absence of the speed loader. I just thought of something to check and sure enough, the new magazine wants to bind once the spring is compressed about a quarter of the way down. Using the speed loader I did not notice that today at the range. But I just tried pulling the tabs down and noticed the binding. So I think the new magazine is defective. And it is possible that the cartridge in question was loaded into the magazine right there in that area where the binding was happening. I just put the cartridge with dent in a magazine and dropped another cartridge in on top of it. It appears the rim of the cartridge that was inserted on top of the one in question could have dented it.

LeslieFan

Reaction score
It looks like it stove piped and the bolt crushed it. Did the previous round eject ok? It wasn’t in There with it by any chance?
No stove pipe when it happened. I'm about 400 rounds on this pistol and haven't had any stove pipes or FTEs. Just FTLs.

LeslieFan

Reaction score
I'm just going to take mag back when I get up later today and exchange it for one that doesn't bind.

After it happened, the slide didn't lock open after a couple magazines were emptied. hopefully it didn't mess something up. If it did it's on Taurus. Their branded mag.

I'll go to the range before I take the mag back and use the magazines that came with the pistol and make sure it runs fine. if not I'm sure they will want me to send the defective mag to them along with the pistol for the repair or replacement.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well, .22 autos can be finicky. very few, if any, run flawlessly. Your problem is among many. That particular photo shows that the round never made it up the ramp and was crushed by the closing bolt. There are several possible reasons: magazine (most likely), ramp needs polishing, burr at throat of chamber, bolt cycling faster than loading process and/or tolerance problem with follower/ramp (mag not seated correctly).

I listed them in order of probability. Most likely, it's your magazine. If you have more than one magazine, see if it does it with all of them. Last shot failing to hold bolt open is almost always a magazine/gun tolerance issue.

Sometimes, you need to "tune the magazines" for the gun. Ruger's were notorious for this issue. The follower can bind under spring pressure. The edges of the lips can be out of tolerance. And, some .22 ammo is "gummy" and that can exasperate the problems.

My 22/45 had similar issues when I first got it. There are numerous articles and YT videos that show how to tune the magazines. I shoot this gun in competition, so I needed it to run flawlessly. I spent considerable time tuning my magazines to do just that.

Try polishing the part of the mag, where the button slides, to help avoid sticking. Look at the lip of the mag around the follower, you may need to do some work there, too.

Worse case send it back... but, it may come back the same way. Good luck!

JonCanfield

Reality is over rated
Platinum Supporter
Reaction score
Any suggestions for laser practice, or some other dry fire type training? I don't get to the range anywhere near as often as I would like, so it would be nice to have someway to practice at home. I'd be using with multiple calibers, but I think most of the systems have rounds in the popular sizes

LeslieFan

Reaction score
@SteveC thanks for taking time to list all those possibilities.

I'm heading for the range right now to see if the magazines that came with the gun solve the issue. pretty sure it's that new mag I was using yesterday.

Last edited:

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions for laser practice, or some other dry fire type training? I don't get to the range anywhere near as often as I would like, so it would be nice to have someway to practice at home. I'd be using with multiple calibers, but I think most of the systems have rounds in the popular sizes
I use a laser cartridge for practice all the time, and find that it really helps. And it's fun, too! I bought these, but G-Sight makes them, too, along with others: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077Q8RXB9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are apps that you can get to use with these cartridges, but I just use a regular target, or draw a circle on a piece of paper and tape it to the wall.

Frank

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I used the same thing as Frank,,, they worked great and you get multiple calibers.

LeslieFan

Reaction score
@SteveC thanks for taking time to list all those possibilities.

I'm heading for the range right now to see if the magazines that came with the gun solve the issue. pretty sure it's that new mag I was using yesterday.
Looks like it was the new magazine. The two that came with the gun we're the only ones I used it the range today and everything seems back to normal. I did have three FTL but that was with the Aguila cheap stuff.

45WinMag

Reaction score
Sprayed my two 25rd prototype replica mags with CRC Dry Moly Lube today (the mags have to be cut down because Brownells made them too long, and they have to be refinished because Brownells made them black instead of the correct grey). This one is staying completely grey. I buffed it out and did a little light 600 grit sanding, then buffed it again.

First mag:

The original mags were grey, painted green. The surviving mags have a lot of wear in the green, usually most of it gone. Some have no green left.

Second mag:

Question: Did I overdo it with the relic job?

I will probably be cutting and bending the tabs on Thursday.

Roberteaux

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Question: Did I overdo it with the relic job?
You did this job to make yourself happy, right-- it was a painstaking kind of thing, but that's just how you roll... right?

Right!

I'd say that so long as you enjoyed the project itself, and are pleased with the result, that there has been no error.

Nothing was "overdone". Instead, it was done to perfection.

--R :thumb:

45WinMag

Reaction score
You did this job to make yourself happy, right-- it was a painstaking kind of thing, but that's just how you roll... right?

Right!

I'd say that so long as you enjoyed the project itself, and are pleased with the result, that there has been no error.

Nothing was "overdone". Instead, it was done to perfection.

--R :thumb:
Hopefully they look like a 62-year-old mag that accompanied a R&D/demo rifle. I need to put some wear on the rifle too, but I'm going to let that happen a little more naturally. It's a lot easier to strip a magazine and start over if you screw up.