Ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

Bownse

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Can you e-file as an individual? I thought it was just trusts, and with the CLEO signature gone, there's really not much reason to go with a trust anymore.

Trusts are more a function of how to manage the inventory when you pass and if you want someone to be able to use the can without you being present.

With one big trust, you either have to send in everyone’s pictures, prints, and 5320s for each new transfer, or you have to remove them as RPs until the new stamp comes. With a new trust for each item, I’m the only RP when the F4 gets filed, and the others don’t get added until the stamp comes.
The guy that helped me set my trust up did it in such a way that RP paperwork is completed by the person (and the trust "owner"), when buying a new NFA item you simply move that sheet of paper to an inactive section of the binder. Once the stamp comes in you move the paperwork back into the active RP section. Easy peezy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Who

GunMonkeyINTL

Reaction score
Trusts are more a function of how to manage the inventory when you pass and if you want someone to be able to use the can without you being present.

With one big trust, you either have to send in everyone’s pictures, prints, and 5320s for each new transfer, or you have to remove them as RPs until the new stamp comes. With a new trust for each item, I’m the only RP when the F4 gets filed, and the others don’t get added until the stamp comes.
The guy that helped me set my trust up did it in such a way that RP paperwork is completed by the person (and the trust "owner"), when buying a new NFA item you simply move that sheet of paper to an inactive section of the binder. Once the stamp comes in you move the paperwork back into the active RP section. Easy peezy.
I can’t say that’s wrong. I’m not an NFA or trust lawyer, so I’m not qualified to say that what your guy told you is wrong, but it does run counter to what I do know about the NFA and trust law- and it raises a couple significant concerns.

Form 4s are dated documents, as are trust and articles of incorporation amendments. Post 41F, most trusts were set up with a clear amendment path to removing trustees, specifically to get them off the trust before submitting a new F1/4 application. The point of the amendment was to provide dated documentation that they were not RPs at the time of the application, and to be able to document that the date they were added back was after approval.

The point to that was that, if your Form 4 ever came into question/investigation, you’d be able to show that the trust you provided to the ATF was accurate at the time of the application.

There was a well-known NFA trust lawyer instructing his clients to remove trustees by simply tearing up their appointment amendment, and creating a new one if they ever wanted to add them back. That was problematic because there was never a dated document showing that they were removed between the last approval and the next submission. It is my understanding that he’s no longer recommending that practice, and now has a removal amendment.

The situation your trust creates is more concerning because you have a dated document showing them added, but not one showing them removed. If your NFA stamps ever came into question (in a court of law), the government would be able to show all these RPs as being on your trust, but you’d have no way to substantiate that they actually weren’t on it when they weren’t supposed to be. Trust law varies from state to state, with many requiring notary validation for amendments. It just doesn’t seem like physically moving an amendment to another folder would be a valid legal device.

That all said, if the guy who set your trust up that way is a lawyer in your state, and knows what he’s doing, then that is a really easy way to handle it. That arrangement would just make me a little nervous.

45WinMag

Reaction score
I just set up a trust for the 607 and had it notarized. I had already engraved it as an individual, so I named the trust "First Middle Last 1". Instead of re-engraving, I can just add a "1" after my name with my metal stamps.

Question: My big trust has the guarantor (me) as the sole authority for making amendments. Can an amendment adding trustees be made solely with my signature, or do I have to drag all the added trustees down to the notary with me to sign also?

scott1970

Reaction score
Who knew that an okra farmer would be an authority on suppressed shooting. :)
I’m far from an authority on anything including firearms and firearm related items. What I am is fortunate when it comes to guns, and that’s because I have my own gun range. That has allowed me to acquire friends and acquaintances who have FFLs and fine machine gun collections. These gentlemen have been very generous with their toys when it comes to a private and secure location to fully enjoy the wonders of full autos and suppressors. And I used to own an uzi and tommy gun, both on Form 4s back when it took thirty day turnarounds. I passed on an MP40 taken from the Battle of the Buldge, and that one I regret. My wife was even on board with it. I still wonder what I was thinking.

GunMonkeyINTL

Reaction score
I just set up a trust for the 607 and had it notarized. I had already engraved it as an individual, so I named the trust "First Middle Last 1". Instead of re-engraving, I can just add a "1" after my name with my metal stamps.

Question: My big trust has the guarantor (me) as the sole authority for making amendments. Can an amendment adding trustees be made solely with my signature, or do I have to drag all the added trustees down to the notary with me to sign also?
That all depends on how your trust is written, which hopefully is written that way to comply with your state law. Adding trustees to mine requires both our signatures on a notarized amendment. I think that’s pretty common, but have never run a trust in another state.

The engraving on your 607 lower is going to need to be “First Middle Last 1 Trust”, since that is now the legal name of the entity making it.

45WinMag

Reaction score
Okay, going to do another trust then, because I did not include the word "trust" as part of my trust name in the hope of not having to engrave it. Not a big deal, I have free notary services at Navy Federal. Trying to minimize what I have to add.

I'm still going to use stamps because it's going to be a huge hassle to set up to engrave again. Was hoping I could whack a "1" on it and be done (my engraving is tight - not much room to put anything between name and city/state).

45WinMag

Reaction score
Where did you engrave it? These guys do a pretty slick engraving up inside the trigger bow, where it's almost invisible- pretty cheap. You could get a second engraving if you need to.

I engraved on the front of the magwell. I'll break out my CNC machine before I send it off, but I'm still looking to avoid that.

I'm still wondering why the word "trust" needs to be engraved if the name of the trust does not include the word "trust". Is this one of the ATF's big ideas? For any other purposes, the name of a trust does not need to include the word "trust" (although typically people do include it).

My other trust is set up like this:

Part 1. Trust Name

This revocable living trust shall be known as the First Middle Last Revocable Living Trust.

The one I set up today is like this:

Part 1. Trust Name

This revocable living trust shall be known as First Middle Last 1.

GunMonkeyINTL

Reaction score
I engraved on the front of the magwell. I'll break out my CNC machine before I send it off, but I'm still looking to avoid that.

I'm still wondering why the word "trust" needs to be engraved if the name of the trust does not include the word "trust". Is this one of the ATF's big ideas? For any other purposes, the name of a trust does not need to include the word "trust" (although typically people do include it).

My other trust is set up like this:

Part 1. Trust Name

This revocable living trust shall be known as the First Middle Last Revocable Living Trust.

The one I set up today is like this:

Part 1. Trust Name

This revocable living trust shall be known as First Middle Last 1.
I could be wrong. Won't deny that, but on the F4, the transferee will be listed as "First Middle Last 1 Trust". Gibson doesn't need to put "Gibson LLC", or whatever they are, on every headstock, because that's just a logo. They do need to properly identify themselves on any legally-binding document, though. That's what a F4 is.

If you really want to test it out, you could hold-fire on the engraving (you don't technically need to engrave until the second before you pin the upper on), and submit your F1 with just "First Middle Last 1" in block 3b. If your examiner never calls you to submit a corrected F1, and approves it, then that is the transferee, stated exactly like that. If they do call and ask for a correction, you've only cost yourself a week or so, and you got your answer.

I'd be interested to hear it. I've seen people get approved with necessity statements of "in case of zombie apocalypse", so who knows.

Bownse

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
There was a well-known NFA trust lawyer instructing his clients to remove trustees by simply tearing up their appointment amendment, and creating a new one if they ever wanted to add them back. That was problematic because there was never a dated document showing that they were removed between the last approval and the next submission. It is my understanding that he’s no longer recommending that practice, and now has a removal amendment.

The situation your trust creates is more concerning because you have a dated document showing them added, but not one showing them removed. If your NFA stamps ever came into question (in a court of law), the government would be able to show all these RPs as being on your trust, but you’d have no way to substantiate that they actually weren’t on it when they weren’t supposed to be. Trust law varies from state to state, with many requiring notary validation for amendments. It just doesn’t seem like physically moving an amendment to another folder would be a valid legal device.

That all said, if the guy who set your trust up that way is a lawyer in your state, and knows what he’s doing, then that is a really easy way to handle it. That arrangement would just make me a little nervous.
Understood and something I discussed with the lawyer that does these in TX all the time (who created the trust for me). There is a dated document of RP in the active section. Moving it into inactive (or tearing it up) means that there is no indication that it was there at the time of "activity". If dates of a stamp are a concern, then doing a new page with a new date addresses the timelines. They weren't an RP during the time of stamp application, so that's that.

Dun Ringill

Shall not be infringed
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, I don't have anything fancy like suppressors or rocket launchers, but I should be able to pick up my lower receiver today!! In the near future I am looking at getting a drill press and trying my hand at an 80% lower to cut out the middle man.

Dun Ringill

Shall not be infringed
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, I don't have anything fancy like suppressors or rocket launchers, but I should be able to pick up my lower receiver today!! In the near future I am looking at getting a drill press and trying my hand at an 80% lower to cut out the middle man.
1565890031378.png

Looks like I'll be putting some legos together tonight!

Dun Ringill

Shall not be infringed
Premium Member
Reaction score
Also, Dun, if this is your first SBR errr.... I’m mean “pistol”, use earplugs and muffs when you get to the range. And warn the people near you.
Definitely! I take it they are louder than an AR rifle?

45WinMag

Reaction score
Does the Romeo with the riser co-witness the iron sights?

{I typed that and realized it is a nonsense-sentence to someone not into guns} :)
Your post needs more acronyms.

Also, Dun, if this is your first SBR errr.... I’m mean “pistol”, use earplugs and muffs when you get to the range. And warn the people near you.
First shot will take care of that. :D

SGeoff

Reaction score
i admit it, i can't read 399 pages to see if we settled this already...in the arena of shot guns for home defense, what does anyone think about one such as the Remington 870 tac 14 ? or the Mossberg 590? these are very short barreled, with a hand grip instead of a stock, meant to be fired with both hands, and only a total length of just over 26 inches. pump action with 4 or 5 plus 1 capability. What say anyone? I am not one for firearms, for the most part. But I am 65 now and do not relish hand to hand combat with an intruder. We had the house next door involved in a home invasion type robbery, which is why i'm thinking bad ass 12 guage