Ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I used the same thing as Frank,,, they worked great and you get multiple calibers.

LeslieFan

Reaction score
@SteveC thanks for taking time to list all those possibilities.

I'm heading for the range right now to see if the magazines that came with the gun solve the issue. pretty sure it's that new mag I was using yesterday.
Looks like it was the new magazine. The two that came with the gun we're the only ones I used it the range today and everything seems back to normal. I did have three FTL but that was with the Aguila cheap stuff.

45WinMag

Reaction score
Sprayed my two 25rd prototype replica mags with CRC Dry Moly Lube today (the mags have to be cut down because Brownells made them too long, and they have to be refinished because Brownells made them black instead of the correct grey). This one is staying completely grey. I buffed it out and did a little light 600 grit sanding, then buffed it again.

First mag:

The original mags were grey, painted green. The surviving mags have a lot of wear in the green, usually most of it gone. Some have no green left.

Second mag:

Question: Did I overdo it with the relic job?

I will probably be cutting and bending the tabs on Thursday.

Roberteaux

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Question: Did I overdo it with the relic job?
You did this job to make yourself happy, right-- it was a painstaking kind of thing, but that's just how you roll... right?

Right!

I'd say that so long as you enjoyed the project itself, and are pleased with the result, that there has been no error.

Nothing was "overdone". Instead, it was done to perfection.

--R :thumb:

45WinMag

Reaction score
You did this job to make yourself happy, right-- it was a painstaking kind of thing, but that's just how you roll... right?

Right!

I'd say that so long as you enjoyed the project itself, and are pleased with the result, that there has been no error.

Nothing was "overdone". Instead, it was done to perfection.

--R :thumb:
Hopefully they look like a 62-year-old mag that accompanied a R&D/demo rifle. I need to put some wear on the rifle too, but I'm going to let that happen a little more naturally. It's a lot easier to strip a magazine and start over if you screw up.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Looks like it was the new magazine. The two that came with the gun we're the only ones I used it the range today and everything seems back to normal. I did have three FTL but that was with the Aguila cheap stuff.
Glad to hear that you isolated the cause! All is not lost.. you should be able to tune that magazine and make it work. And, while you're doing that, polish up the feed ramp, too. Look closely at the leading edge and make sure that it is smooth.

When you can successfully run 100 rounds of Mini-Mags ammo without a stoppage, you should feel good about the gun's reliability. If you can't get through 100 rounds of Mini-Mags, you won't be able to run anything reliably. That's the only ammo I use for matches.

LeslieFan

Reaction score
Glad to hear that you isolated the cause! All is not lost.. you should be able to tune that magazine and make it work. And, while you're doing that, polish up the feed ramp, too. Look closely at the leading edge and make sure that it is smooth.

When you can successfully run 100 rounds of Mini-Mags ammo without a stoppage, you should feel good about the gun's reliability. If you can't get through 100 rounds of Mini-Mags, you won't be able to run anything reliably. That's the only ammo I use for matches.
Hi Steve, a coworker is going to look at the feed ramp for me.

I returned the mag already. The mag is polymer. Can polymer mags be tuned ?

I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to semi automatics and assumed they could not be tuned.

smk506

Reaction score
Rim fires can be funny with what ammo they like. While the excepted “standard” is mini mags, I’ve found that most all of mine work best with federal auto match. I think that has to do with the tapered bullet, but I’ve never really analyzed it beyond noting that I get few fail to feed, fail to eject issues with them.

Sometimes guns/mags can be tuned to be more accepting, sometimes it’s easier to just find an ammo that your particular gun will chew through like bubble gum.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hi Steve, a coworker is going to look at the feed ramp for me.

I returned the mag already. The mag is polymer. Can polymer mags be tuned ?

I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to semi automatics and assumed they could not be tuned.
Polymer mags are not as easy to tune, however, they can be done. You need to really be careful, since you can make them worse by removing too much material, or making already rough edges even more rough. if you can get the follower to rise & fall smoothly and straight -- you are 95% of the way there.

Stay away from removing material at the top edge of polymer mags; the fit inside the well, seating at the top is very crucial in rimfires. If the geometry is off, the mag is worthless.

Aftermarket mags for 22's are hit & miss, tolorance wise. What will not run in your gun may run flawlessly in mine. I will use aftermarket magazines for everything *BUT* rimfire. I can't afford a stoppage in the middle of a stage. So, even at 2X the cost sometimes, I stick with factory magazines for all my rimfire platforms.

I just took my S&W M&P 15-22 out for a test-drive this weekend. I drilled out the pins in my NY magazines, allowing the mags to hold more than 10 rounds.***

I used CCI Mini-Mags, because I had a bunch of boxes I got in a trade.

They failed with almost the same symptoms as @LeslieFan had. Same dent. Same jam.

I switched to the Blazer ammo that never gives me a problem. Everything went right back to super-reliable.

I then mixed in some mini-mags in with the Blazer. I’d got more jams, every time it was a Mini-Mag. Weird, but that’s the way it happened.

I guess I’ll stick to Blazer.

I’m glad my 10/22 never cared what ammo it gets. I only fed it the cheapest stuff I could find at Service Merchandise back when I was 18.

***Note to ATF... it’s OK, I don’t live in NY anymore.
As you know... Rimfires can be very particular about ammo. However, I seldom hear about CCI MM's not running anywhere. Usually, when they don't run, nothing runs - LOL.

That's wild... my SW AR15/22 eats everything I feed it. Even the Federal white box Match Grade Ammo has been flawless, and that stuff will not run in any other .22 that I own. I must have lucked out and got a good 15/22.

I do change the bolt spring every 2,500+/- rounds though. Which works out to about every 3rd match. I can feel when it gets sluggish. And, it affects my cadence with rapid fire trigger presses.

I totally agree with your assessment on the Blazer ammo. When you find something that works, stick with it!!! Even if it costs a few pennies more, it's worth it.

Ruger's 10/22 is a flat out beast. It just works. I know folks with those rifles who haven't cleaned them since the Nixon administration... and they still run perfectly! LOL

Dun Ringill

Shall not be infringed
Premium Member
Reaction score
Funny story. Myself and my better half have discussed getting US and Texas Law Shield insurance. I have also been talking about getting an M&P Shield. I got an extra check this month, but wanted to pay down some bills so I told her that I was going to hold off on getting the Shield. She said "No, I think we should get the Shield". Well, I ran with it and ordered the M&P Shield. A few days later I discovered that she had been talking about the insurance! I had always referred to it as 'Law Shield' to differentiate. Picked up the pistol last night. Takin' it out tomorrow.

Now I need to figure out a way for her to confuse Gibson or Marshall!

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Folks that are, or are considering, carrying firearms for self defense really should understand the legal and financial implications, if they are involved in a self-defense shooting. Even if you are 10000% in the right, you could face a significant financial burden.

US/Texas Law Shield is one good option. There are others, too. The point is, consider getting insurance to protect yourself and your family.

Dun Ringill

Shall not be infringed
Premium Member
Reaction score
Folks that are, or are considering, carrying firearms for self defense really should understand the legal and financial implications, if they are involved in a self-defense shooting. Even if you are 10000% in the right, you could face a significant financial burden.

US/Texas Law Shield is one good option. There are others, too. The point is, consider getting insurance to protect yourself and your family.
I will definitely be adding something soon! I went to a seminar regarding legal implications and it is a scary place to be! They had a DA and a detective explaining how, even if you are in the right, you will likely have legal entanglements.

scott1970

Reaction score
I scored a Glock coffee mug yesterday. It was a leftover from our upcoming police citizen's academy. It's not overly gun related, but it's all I got right now.

Howard2k

Premium Member
Reaction score

One of our local organizations allegedly offers insurance.

I asked for a copy of the terms and conditions of the coverage and it was a surprisingly complicated conversation. (Not on my part). I was eventually told I would receive a copy of the relevant verbiage shortly, but it never appeared.

It’s a little different here, but “read the Ts and Cs” is absolutely universal.

My Les Paul Classifieds