Ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

Who

I'm back. Back in the New York groove.
Reaction score
After dragging-ass last weekend I bought a wagon similar to this:

Now you have me thinking about the umbrella thing. Maybe I should have found a stroller.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

View attachment 392457

Now you have me thinking about the umbrella thing. Maybe I should have found a stroller.

I see a lot of people with a cart just like that one. About 75% of the shooters have a cart of some kind. That cart and a stroller make up 99%. It's split 60/40 between the Stroller (60) and wagon.

Most of us with strollers ALSO shoot other types of events, where the stroller is more advantageous. At a 3-gun match, for example, I will have my AR in the right side grips of the stroller, and my shottie on the left. When my wife and I shoot sporting clays, we each have a shottie. It's just much easer to access the rifles in a stroller, than from the wagon. And, I think the stroller is easier to navigate around than a wagon.

But, I see plenty of people with a wagon, who also use an umbrella. They mount the holder thing that I have on one of the legs, above the wheel.

Here's the link to the umbrella holder: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FH6CS2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bownse

Silver Supporter
Reaction score

View attachment 392457

I have one like that. Instead of a shooting cart that costs more, I got a garden cart that was less expensive simply because of the target audience.

Reactions: Who

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

What are you doing tonight to prep? Anything? Do you have to travel far to the match?

Is Steel Challenge always the same stages/distances?
I used to practice with 10" paper plates spaced out along the target backers before these matches. But, I don't generally do that much any longer.

These matches are about 90 mins from my house - kind of a long drive, but well worth it. They are very well run and a lot of fun, even when you don't do too well. I have to leave at 0630 to be there to sign in at 0800 and the match starts at 0900. So, it is a long day. I don't shoot it every month. I'm taking August off.

Steel Challenge matches always consist of the same identical eight stages.
Here they are: http://steelchallenge.com/media/stage-diagrams.html

You can learn more about Steel Challenge in general on the East Coast Steel Challenge Web site. http://eastcoaststeelchampionship.com

@SteveC, how’d the match go?
Well, I shot a mediocre match, finishing 39th out of 100 shooters. Even coming in 11th in my division, RFRO (Rimfire Rifle Open), out of 28 shooters was less than stellar. Ironically, I missed the money (they pay 10 places/division) by 0.04 seconds. Which is representative of the kind of day that I had, performance wise. Just a bit off, all around.

My split times were slow and "beep to first shot" averaged 1.50 seconds. That is just not going to get it done, when you really need to be no slower than 1.00. The best shooters are 0.80- 1.10 and often LESS. That doesn't seem like a lot, but when you consider that you shoot 5 strings for each stage - keeping your best four times, a ½ second X 4 strings = 2 seconds/stage... X 8 stages/match is 16 seconds. That will kill your hopes of making a top 3 in your division and top 10 overall.

For example, it I averaged my typical beep to bang of 1.20 - 1.25 seconds, I would have finished around 12-14 place, overall. And, for sure it would have been a top-5 division finish.

I just didn't have it yesterday. Usually, the rifle is very good to me. But, I couldn't get off the timer fast enough and my target-to-target transitions were awkward and not smooth. I never fell into a rhythm.

That's OK -- I really love the fun, camaraderie, ball-busting and enjoyment of spending all day thinking about nothing but my next string.

Oh, and the cart & umbrella performed wonderful... much better than I did - LOL

kfowler8

Reaction score
I took my .30-06 to the range this past weekend. Haven’t shot it in forever. It’s a nice Remington 700 BDL.

I’ve always had a little regret with this rifle because it’s got a little more kick than I like. I should have gone with a 270 or even a 223.

An employee at the range asked if I’ve ever tried a .300 Blackout. I didn’t even know what it was. I think the guy said it may have less kick than a standard .30-06 cartridge. It was hard to hear what he was saying.

Question: Seems basic but will a Blackout cartridge fit a .30-06? I assume so since they’re both 30 caliber. Will it have less kick?

45WinMag

Reaction score
Question: Seems basic but will a Blackout cartridge fit a .30-06? I assume so since they’re both 30 caliber. Will it have less kick?
No, 300 Blackout is not the same cartridge as 30-06. It was a cartridge designed to give a .30 option in the AR15 platform, and works well as a subsonic suppressed round in short-barreled rifles. Subsonic 300 BLK also provides the AR15 with a subsonic round that will cycle the action (subsonic .556 will not cycle the action of an AR). 300 BLK can only be fired in a rifle chambered for 300 BLK.

In this image 30-06 is on the left and 300 BLK is on the right.

kfowler8

Reaction score
Thanks! Yeah that's a significant difference. I know Remington makes these Managed Recoil rounds. I'll have to try them

Bigfoot410

Premium Member
Reaction score
No, 300 Blackout is not the same cartridge as 30-06. It was a cartridge designed to give a .30 option in the AR15 platform, and works well as a subsonic suppressed round in short-barreled rifles. Subsonic 300 BLK also provides the AR15 with a subsonic round that will cycle the action (subsonic .556 will not cycle the action of an AR). 300 BLK can only be fired in a rifle chambered for 300 BLK.

In this image 30-06 is on the left and 300 BLK is on the right.

Gawd, I hope Rob doesn't see this. I don't have time to read a short novel of expanding your words for a few days....lol. I think subsonic 300 Blackout is his latest child and he custom makes food for it. :)

"To expand on what 45WinMag said, in the year 1686 the gun was...…….." :cool2:

(Just kidding, Rob.....maybe)

Last edited:

Roberteaux

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Gawd, I hope Rob doesn't see this. I don't have time to read a short novel of expanding your words for a few days....lol. I think subsonic 300 Blackout is his latest child and he custom makes food for it. :)

"To expand on what 45WinMag said, in the year 1686 the gun was...…….." :cool2:

(Just kidding, Rob.....maybe)
You're correct-- I spent a good, long time developing cartridges for .300BLK. It was great fun, especially forming cartridge cases from spent .223's. :thumb:

Basically, I have most of that work done, though I will (perhaps) have some adjustments to make and a few more experiments to perform once my tax stamp arrives and I can fetch my silencer out of the gun shop safe. It has been almost nine months since I sent the check and paperwork in. Last fall's government shutdown didn't do me any favors. :(

But I thought that 45WM answered the guy's question perfectly when I spotted the post last night, and so fear not: I have nothing to add to what he already said. :laugh2:

--R :D

Last edited:

45WinMag

Reaction score
Maybe I can prompt a book from Rob. When I said 300 BLK can only be fired in a rifle chambered for 300 BLK, that is not entirely correct (but I didn't want to add confusion with somebody asking about cartridges as vastly different as 300 BLK and 30-06). You should be able to chamber and fire 300 BLK in a rifle chambered for .300 Whisper/.300-221/.300 Fireball.

Take it away, Rob...

Roberteaux

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Maybe I can prompt a book from Rob. When I said 300 BLK can only be fired in a rifle chambered for 300 BLK, that is not entirely correct (but I didn't want to add confusion with somebody asking about cartridges as vastly different as 300 BLK and 30-06). You should be able to chamber and fire 300 BLK in a rifle chambered for .300 Whisper/.300-221/.300 Fireball.

Take it away, Rob...
:laugh2:

Well...

.300 Whisper began its life as an experimental cartridge of sorts, with a firearms designer and ballistician named J.D. Jones working on creating a cartridge type that would fire a projectile in the neighborhood of about 240 grains, which would travel somewhere under 1186 FPS (at sea level), and which would...

HEY! :mad:

Very clever, Mr. WinMag... you almost got me going there... :squint:

--R :laugh2:

45WinMag

Reaction score
Got a good dip on the .308 upper and lower. It turns out my issues were due to crap activator that was leaving the film too solid - the film wanted to wrap like a sheet instead of flow like liquid. I used an older can of another brand and got much better results. I also used a styrofoam cooler for a dunk tank instead of a disposable baking pan - the depth made the dip much easier.

Bownse

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I took my .30-06 to the range this past weekend. Haven’t shot it in forever. It’s a nice Remington 700 BDL.

I’ve always had a little regret with this rifle because it’s got a little more kick than I like. I should have gone with a 270 or even a 223.

An employee at the range asked if I’ve ever tried a .300 Blackout. I didn’t even know what it was. I think the guy said it may have less kick than a standard .30-06 cartridge. It was hard to hear what he was saying.

I find my 30-06 kicks less than my brother's 270. Both weigh about the same and both are american standard wooden stocks.

45WinMag

Reaction score
Had an early release from work today, so I was able to make more progress dipping (I only dip in the kitchen when I have enough time for the activator smell to clear out before the wife gets home). All I have left are the small parts that I can dip in the bathroom downstairs. I hope to be ready to clearcoat next weekend.

This is getting a 7.5" barrel. I think I'm going to refer to it as "Constitutional Crisis".

Who

I'm back. Back in the New York groove.
Reaction score
What's the "sink cleanup" like?

..... when I have enough time for the activator smell to clear out before the wife gets home). .....
There is NEVER enough time for a wife to not smell something happened in her kitchen.

45WinMag

Reaction score
What's the "sink cleanup" like?

There is NEVER enough time for a wife to not smell something happened in her kitchen.
I dip in disposable roaster pans. The ink is solidified enough when I dump the water that it cleans up with a paper towel. If any still sticks, it comes off with hand sanitizer.

The smell dissipates quickly, I usually only get complaints when I shoot Norrell's with my airbrush and then bake it in the oven. The results of a Norrell's session in the kitchen are reminiscent of Skyjerk's "I get in trouble a lot" thread in the Luthier's Corner.

Bigfoot410

Premium Member
Reaction score
Gonna get a Glock.

I’m going out today to pick up a Glock 34 that’s for sale on a local forum.

I’ve never fired one, one only held two. Each time I’ve held and pointed them, the front site sits about 3/4” high. Because the grip angle is so much different than the 1911’s I’m used to.

After all these years, I figure I’ll give this Glock thing a try. And 9mm.... I’ve never been a 9mm guy, either.

Anything to look out for when checking out the Glock? It has an aftermarket trigger, but comes with the factory trigger. I’m paying $100 extra for the trigger. Seller’s price is $440 with factory, $550 with ZEV and a holster.
Congrats. I only have 2 and neither has FTF for any reason. They may be ugly to some, but to me they are the "go to" pistols in my arsenal. I have a Gen3-22/40cal. and a Gen4-43/9mm. Love them both. Absolute reliability. :)

THDNUT

Reaction score
Welp, NGD for me last week. Another toy I really didn't need. Cabela's near me had these on sale. I paid $590 + tax. List is $804.

Behold, my first Kimber...

I thought it looked cool but I wasn't about to pay Cabela's regular price of $749. The sale price was the impetus to pull the trigger. :facepalm: The fit and finish are impeccable.

Oh, and it has the Tritium night sights too. :dude:

It's called the Bel Air because it mimics the Creme and Turquoise color scheme of a '55 Chevy Bel Air.

Last edited:

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Welp, NGD for me last week. Another toy I really didn't need. Cabela's near me had these on sale. I paid $590 + tax. List is $804.

Behold, my first Kimber...

View attachment 395668

I thought it looked cool but I wasn't about to pay Cabela's regular price of $749. The sale price was the impetus to pull the trigger. :facepalm: The fit and finish are impeccable.

Oh, and it has the Tritium night sights too. :dude:

It's called the Bel Air because it mimics the Creme and Turquoise color scheme of a '55 Chevy Bel Air.

View attachment 395669
Kimber makes excellent firearms... nice score.

I don't see the car, though :naughty: