Ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

smk506

Reaction score
Looking good Who!

I agree the A2 grip is the sucks, but I suspect the one you have on there now (is that a MOE?) would fit nice in the hand for anyone else.

You have the hands of a Samsquanch.

45WinMag

Reaction score
Progress on the two 1957 AR15 Prototypes so far:

Need to hydrographic dip the furniture, cut down the mag catches, and shorten the magazines. Number 000011 still needs barrel work/pinned FSB/one-piece handguard (I get this done by Retro Arms Works).

scott1970

Reaction score
Progress on the two 1957 AR15 Prototypes so far:

Need to hydrographic dip the furniture, cut down the mag catches, and shorten the magazines. Number 000011 still needs barrel work/pinned FSB/one-piece handguard (I get this done by Retro Arms Works).

I have a similar rug which was brought home years ago by a returning vet who is good friends with a coworker of mine. Unfortunately, but it is amusing, the whole thing was weaved backwards somehow. I got the bring back rug from the dyslectic weaver!

45WinMag

Reaction score
I have a similar rug which was brought home years ago by a returning vet who is good friends with a coworker of mine. Unfortunately, but it is amusing, the whole thing was weaved backwards somehow. I got the bring back rug from the dyslectic weaver!
I have a pile of those rugs that I got in Afghanistan. They all have misspellings and inaccuracies. I saw some with the twin towers being hit by planes. Some people thought those were celebrating the 9/11 attacks, but actually they are a copy of the front of a leaflet that was dropped by the U.S.

GibsonKramer

The Three G's
Premium Member
Reaction score
Finally get to pick up my GP100 MC this week. Sometimes I don't mind the delay, as it gives me time to think about how I want things, and any extras I want.

Picked up some speedloaders, and belt case for them. Grabbed a drop thigh tactical holster, for my vest.

Been trying to track down reloading supplies. Oh crap, .357 is hard to come by. I'd really like to get primed brass, but that's next to impossible. Plus, it's pretty expensive, compared to the 223 and 45.

While I do like the the word grips that are on it. They're also kind of tall. Hard to tell from pc, but about 1/4" longer. I'll take it out to the range, see how I like it, but grabbed these as well. Hopeful looks as good as the pics.

STOCK

HOGUE WITH COPPER/PEARL INSERTS

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I built myself a Father's Day present today... a gun cart for my shooting competitions and also for sporting clays. Perfect timing... Amazon delivered everything earlier today!

These things cost, pre-made, over $300. But, most people build them from a used jogging stroller. I didn't feel like looking for a used one, so I ordered a new one off of Amazon. All in, with two sets of rhino grips, it was $120 and it only took me an hour to build.

I have a 3-gun match next weekend and this thing is going to be a great help to haul all my gear around the course. It's a real PITIA to carry all the gear with out one.

I used to use a beach wagon, but many people use one these things, since they work so much better!

THDNUT

Reaction score
No problem, bro... at first I thought the Pythons went out around 1995 myself... had to look it up before I remembered that the model remained in production to 2005... they did gradually make fewer and fewer of them as the production run years oozed towards their final days, though.

When it comes to quality and such? Shucks, man-- I really don't know... the only Colt I ever owned was that Trooper III, and so I'm not much when it comes to the Python as it was through the years. :dunno:

I've seen a bunch of them over the years, though-- never saw one that didn't look mighty fine to me.

I don't imagine that Colt ever skimped on the model, though it's possible that some individual specimens weren't as nice as another one or whatever. Vagaries of mass production and like that...

Just a great firearm. I think Colt is gonna make bank when they go to building the new ones.

--R :thumb:

I don't know how I missed this post Rob. I want to chime in since I did buy a Python new in 1985. I was so enamored with the mystique of the almighty Python that I overlooked a few things on the one I bought. Well, that and the fact that I had not seen one for sale at a gun shop on too many occasions.

Mine was a 6" blue specimen. As I looked it over before purchase, I noticed three things, one, the blue job wasn't a deep blue and as lustrous as I had seen on other Pythons. It was good but not great.
The second thing I noticed was the barrel/cylinder gap seemed a little too big. The third thing was when I pushed the ejector rod up and looked under it I noticed three numbers stamped into the back of the cylinder between the chamber holes (in three different locations, not all together in a line) One of the numbers was stamped a little too close to a chamber opening and had peened the metal a little.

Well, the lockup at the moment of ignition was rock solid and the double action trigger pull was as smooth as a baby's butt so I plunked down my hard earned $450 and sauntered out the door giddy with excitement.

The first time I shot it the spent cases in the peened chamber were hard to extract, but, I had expected this and took it to an authorized Colt repair shop, they polished out the burr and all was forgiven. :laugh2:

The barrel/cylinder gap was a little excessive but didn't cause any problems. I have never had a chronograph so I don't know if there was a loss of velocity as a result.

I put 3 to 4 thousand rounds of reloads through it in the 7 years I owned it. Mostly they were .357 light loads or .38 Specials which I shot double action because the action was sooooo nice!

I made a habit of oiling the front of the cylinder where it rotated on the crane every 20 rds or so because the way it was designed the oil would get blown out by the gasses coming out of the barrel/cylinder gap. I'd seen a number of used Pythons that had loose cylinders because of a lack of lubrication in this area.

When I sold it in 1992 for $500 the cylinder on mine was rock solid. The gun looked brand new too. I don't think it had ever been in a holster. :laugh2:

scott1970

Reaction score
Finally get to pick up my GP100 MC this week. Sometimes I don't mind the delay, as it gives me time to think about how I want things, and any extras I want.

Picked up some speedloaders, and belt case for them. Grabbed a drop thigh tactical holster, for my vest.

Been trying to track down reloading supplies. Oh crap, .357 is hard to come by. I'd really like to get primed brass, but that's next to impossible. Plus, it's pretty expensive, compared to the 223 and 45.

While I do like the the word grips that are on it. They're also kind of tall. Hard to tell from pc, but about 1/4" longer. I'll take it out to the range, see how I like it, but grabbed these as well. Hopeful looks as good as the pics.

STOCK
View attachment 387125

HOGUE WITH COPPER/PEARL INSERTS
View attachment 387126

I like those grips. I had a pair somewhat similar, maybe a tad smaller, that came on a GP100 Wiley Clapp edition .357. Wonderfully sized grips that were very functional.

I keep the little SP101 in the front of my patrol car while at work. Heaven help if I were ever to have to shoot it inside that car. During a rather hectic workday my guys had to kill a man. As I was checking on them individually, one kept replying, "Huh?" extremely loudly to everything I said to him. At first I thought he was making a joke which was poor timing even by my bizarre standards. Then another officer said, "Sarge, he had his windows rolled up when he unloaded. He can't hear shit right now." I turned to him and screamed, "go sit down!" He nodded and did so.

MSB

Reaction score
I like those grips. I had a pair somewhat similar, maybe a tad smaller, that came on a GP100 Wiley Clapp edition .357. Wonderfully sized grips that were very functional.
My 100 WC is the only firearm I've ever purchased that I have done nothing to. I really want a set of Badger grips for it, but then I go shoot it and think I'd be an idiot to do anything to that gun... its just "right."

Bigfoot410

Premium Member
Reaction score

I keep the little SP101 in the front of my patrol car while at work. Heaven help if I were ever to have to shoot it inside that car. During a rather hectic workday my guys had to kill a man. As I was checking on them individually, one kept replying, "Huh?" extremely loudly to everything I said to him. At first I thought he was making a joke which was poor timing even by my bizarre standards. Then another officer said, "Sarge, he had his windows rolled up when he unloaded. He can't hear shit right now." I turned to him and screamed, "go sit down!" He nodded and did so.
Aren't ya 'sposed to jump out and roll over the hood like Starsky before ya shoot ?

Hamtone

Reaction score

Im not laughing at the event, just the fact you were in your zone so tight, you probably were getting pissed LOL

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
I don't know how I missed this post Rob. I want to chime in since I did buy a Python new in 1985. I was so enamored with the mystique of the almighty Python that I overlooked a few things on the one I bought. Well, that and the fact that I had not seen one for sale at a gun shop on too many occasions.

Mine was a 6" blue specimen. As I looked it over before purchase, I noticed three things, one, the blue job wasn't a deep blue and as lustrous as I had seen on other Pythons. It was good but not great.
The second thing I noticed was the barrel/cylinder gap seemed a little too big. The third thing was when I pushed the ejector rod up and looked under it I noticed three numbers stamped into the back of the cylinder between the chamber holes (in three different locations, not all together in a line) One of the numbers was stamped a little too close to a chamber opening and had peened the metal a little.

Well, the lockup at the moment of ignition was rock solid and the double action trigger pull was as smooth as a baby's butt so I plunked down my hard earned $450 and sauntered out the door giddy with excitement.

The first time I shot it the spent cases in the peened chamber were hard to extract, but, I had expected this and took it to an authorized Colt repair shop, they polished out the burr and all was forgiven. :laugh2:

The barrel/cylinder gap was a little excessive but didn't cause any problems. I have never had a chronograph so I don't know if there was a loss of velocity as a result.

I put 3 to 4 thousand rounds of reloads through it in the 7 years I owned it. Mostly they were .357 light loads or .38 Specials which I shot double action because the action was sooooo nice!

I made a habit of oiling the front of the cylinder where it rotated on the crane every 20 rds or so because the way it was designed the oil would get blown out by the gasses coming out of the barrel/cylinder gap. I'd seen a number of used Pythons that had loose cylinders because of a lack of lubrication in this area.

When I sold it in 1992 for $500 the cylinder on mine was rock solid. The gun looked brand new too. I don't think it had ever been in a holster. :laugh2:

I have an old Dan Wesson 15-2, in .357 Mag. It may not be as pretty as a Python, but it's incredible accurate for a revolver. The barrel is screwed into the frame and pinned by a locking nut at the muzzle end. You can adjust the cylinder gap as you see fit. It's a very cool setup and you can change barrels on the fly. I have 2", 4" and 8" barrels and the 8" sports an old leupold EER 1.5x scope. I've used it for deer and hog hunting and LR steel plates. It's a hoot to shoot. Very well made gun.

Bigfoot410

Premium Member
Reaction score
The theme music was three patrol cars blaring sirens, some cars smashing up, and gunfire. Mostly sirens.
No explosions?? Boring!

You know I'm only bustin' yer balls here, right? I have nothing but respect for you guys and a complete lack of fortitude and testicles to that job. :)

Reactions: Who

scott1970

Reaction score
There is NOTHING worse than firing a weapon from inside a vehicle. Especially if there is more than one weapon firing, its off the charts LOUD.

I've done it recreationally from the passenger side of a Jeep with no top or doors on. Lance and I occasionally will take turns driving the Jeep in circles on the range, and the passenger will try to hit the various man targets. It's all kinds of fun and difficult. I give mad props to all those gangbangers who make it look so easy!

45WinMag

Reaction score
Anytime somebody mentions the show SWAT, I always envision the guy jumping from the roof with the rifle over his head in the intro. For some reason, that's the only thing that stuck in my head from seeing it as a kid.