Ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

45WinMag

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind having an Anaconda. It is robust enough to fire "Ruger only" loads. That club is pretty much just Ruger, Dan Wesson, and the Anaconda. I have a box of Buffalo Bore .44 Magnum 340gr +P+ that specifically says not to fire it in any S&W revolver.

Roberteaux

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Did something happen to them between the late 80s and 2005? Is the bluing the same? Same factory.

I just didn't know and always thought they were done around '86 or so. Guess I need to read more, dammit. Thanks, Rob :)
No problem, bro... at first I thought the Pythons went out around 1995 myself... had to look it up before I remembered that the model remained in production to 2005... they did gradually make fewer and fewer of them as the production run years oozed towards their final days, though.

When it comes to quality and such? Shucks, man-- I really don't know... the only Colt I ever owned was that Trooper III, and so I'm not much when it comes to the Python as it was through the years. :dunno:

I've seen a bunch of them over the years, though-- never saw one that didn't look mighty fine to me.

I don't imagine that Colt ever skimped on the model, though it's possible that some individual specimens weren't as nice as another one or whatever. Vagaries of mass production and like that...

Just a great firearm. I think Colt is gonna make bank when they go to building the new ones.

--R :thumb:

Last edited:

GibsonKramer

The Three G's
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to trade a Remington 870 for my buddy's Ruger Vaquero Bisley in 45LC. I REALLY like it a lot. It's identical to this. Dunno what ya call the color.

View attachment 386418
And THAT'S why I'm not particularly sold on .44 magnums! :rofl:

I often talk about my dad's guns, because honestly... he has more than I think anyone I've ever known. He doesn't know how many he has.

Back when he was getting into reloading, he bought a Ruger Blackhawk Bisley .44 magnum. He was running pretty hot loads back then, and my first attempt at firing it, the damn thing rolled all the way back in my hand and slammed the hammer behind my thumb. F me!

Though, he does have a Redhawk, I'm rather fond of.

Bownse

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. Always prefered the look for the colt cylinder release. Yet even colt cuts corners sometimes with more "industrial" versions of it.

I'm weakly attempting to resist the urge to match my new purchase, with this...

View attachment 386379
In .357 of course...
Lever actions with side-ejection only. Otherwise you'll have a fit attaching optics if wanted.

re: 41 Mag. Had a Ruger Blackhawk in that caliber. Nope. Traded it off. More recoil than my 44mag. At least a different kind of recoil (sharper).

Last edited:

Hamtone

Reaction score
Something that makes the Python look “right” (IMO) is the cylinder release.

View attachment 386476

It’s cool and classy, like a Les Paul pickguard.

Even if it isn’t the best design, it has the right “look” to me.

The best design is on a Dan Wesson, by the way. ;) Everyone else puts the release in the wrong place.

View attachment 386477
A friend of mine had a DW .445 super mag.... What an elephant gun lol At the time he had to cast his own bullets, you couldnt buy them.

THDNUT

Reaction score
The big bore Colt that was chambered for .44 Magnum (and also offered in .45 Long Colt) was the Anaconda:

View attachment 386346

For various reasons, this model never did seem to achieve the popularity of the Python.

--R
I love mine. It's like a big Python. I'd post a picture but the forum says "the uploaded file is too big for the server to process" even though it's pictured in the member's gallery. I copied it from there.

If you want to see it you have to go to the gallery and look up THDNUT's media. It's on page 3, along with my other three "hand cannons".

Bownse

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I always liked the idea and look of the DW pistol "kit" with multiple, end user replaceable bbls. It was always lower on my priority list WRT willingness to eat ramen for a year to buy one.

Bownse

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Ooookay... ya forced me to show The Trifecta.

I spent years (decades) looking for all 3 and only just recently snagged the P38. They are (bottom to top) in order of production/release of the design.

1873 Colt Single Action Army (.45 Long Colt). This is a Gen 3, so newer production from the Colt Custom Shop.

Middle is a WW1 (1916) DWM P08 Luger (9mm) built under war contract. A P08 is the first pistol I ever shot. My Dad had one when I was young and traded it off for a $50 ham radio setup. I was about 5 when we used to go to the dump and shoot.

Top is the WW2 (1943) Mauser (byf) P38 (9mm).

Last edited:

THDNUT

Reaction score
I'm trying to learn and don't know for sure, but is that a Model 29 and a 686 in the middle? You are still missing the Python. :)
From top: S&W 500 mag, S&W 29-2 8 3/8" barrel, S&W 29-2 6" nickle, Colt Anaconda .44 mag.

I sold the Python in 1992 for $500. I needed money at the time.

I also sold the nickle S&W recently and replaced it with a model 629-6 , 6" barrel .44 mag. :thumb: