Ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

Bownse

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Local sales seems to be the key, weight and hazmat fees being what they are, I would have to give them away to ship them.

Last edited:

45WinMag

Reaction score
Replica of 1957 AR15 prototype #000027 is coming along. Need sling swivels and magazine catch (mag catch has to be cut down to fit the smaller slot). Also need to do other detail work (#000027 has masking tape across the buttplate and writing on both sides of the buttstock. Will also subject it to some mild wear (just a little steel wool to "bronze" the anodizing a little - don't want scratches or wear all the way through). I may also give the stock and handguards a wash of Testors transparent red to darken them a little - the reason I haven't already done so is because one guy on arfcom who has handled a real one and built his own replica says the dark/reddish color in most pics of these rifles is lighting, and the furniture is really just brown.

The original:

Last edited:

Teledan

Reaction score
I was in Cabelas today and they had just gotten in some SIG P365s with stainless slides. They looked really sexy.

45WinMag

Reaction score
Needs sling swivels and mag catch, but is coming along nicely. Still too clean, need to wear it in a little - especially the buttstock and tape. This actually needs a little relic job, but I know that poorly done relic work looks terrible.

KP

Reaction score
Without distances and what you were shooting, this is hard to swag.

Was this for staying in the Cop Shop?
3 to 15 yards. 6 rounds in 35 seconds at 15 yards. 6 rounds, reload and kneel 6 rounds, reload 2 rounds at 7 yards in 25 seconds. 6 rounds at 7 yards in 10 seconds. 6 rounds right hand, reload and 6 rounds with left hand at 7 yards in 25 seconds. 3 rounds in 4 seconds, reholster, 3 rounds in 4 seconds at 5 yards. 2 rounds in 3 seconds, reholster, repeat twice more at 3 yards. Shot using three guns. S&W M&P Shield 9mm, CZ 75 Compact 9mm and a CZ 75B 9mm. This is for CCW.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
3 to 15 yards. 6 rounds in 35 seconds at 15 yards. 6 rounds, reload and kneel 6 rounds, reload 2 rounds at 7 yards in 25 seconds. 6 rounds at 7 yards in 10 seconds. 6 rounds right hand, reload and 6 rounds with left hand at 7 yards in 25 seconds. 3 rounds in 4 seconds, reholster, 3 rounds in 4 seconds at 5 yards. 2 rounds in 3 seconds, reholster, repeat twice more at 3 yards. Shot using three guns. S&W M&P Shield 9mm, CZ 75 Compact 9mm and a CZ 75B 9mm. This is for CCW.
That's a pretty tough qualification, KP. Well done!

Reactions: Who

Bownse

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. Weak hand is something I've always done during each session. I didn't realize until a couple of months ago that my brother had never even considered it. We had a talk. ;)

45WinMag

Reaction score
I have a new "recipe" for paint and dip on the buttstock and handguards. I think currently they have too much of an olive overtone. I haven't been able to find a reddish brown that was dark enough and the deep brown that I used is a little greenish with the gold weave pattern.

I decided to try something that seemed to work with my grips. For the grips, I soaked them in brown lacquer pigment, but the brown wasn't strong enough to overcome the black - it mostly just dyed the mottling. I sprayed them with Testors transparent red and it gave reddish overtones to the black and brought out the brown in the mottled areas. The Testors enamel seems to be holding up well, even on grips.

For a test, I sprayed my second set of handguards with "Hound Brown" - which seemed to be the right color, just nowhere near dark enough. I dipped the handguard with the gold weave that I have been using. Then clearcoat. I finished with Testors transparent black to try to darken the handguard.

Pics for comparison:

This is the color I'm shooting for (reddish brown that looks almost black depending on the light, the buttstock and handguard are the same color/material, the grip is a reddish bakelite):

I will probably re-do my buttstock and handguard sometime soon (probably while I'm on leave in a couple of weeks).

The grips are currently with JT at Retro Arms Works getting sling swivels installed and I decided to have him cut down my mag catches (I don't have time to do the mag catches, and I doubt my results would be very clean). He did all the barrel work on this rifle (one-piece handguard, skinny barrel profile, weld bipod collar to FSB, pin the FSB to the barrel, and repark everything).

I'll probably have about twice the sale price of the Brownells Proto invested in this rifle, but I'm hoping to have a fairly accurate replica of 000027 when I get everything back from JT. The Brownells repro isn't even remotely correct.