Ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

45WinMag

Reaction score
Handgun choice can be very personal depending on your likes and dislikes.
+1

Choice of a handgun is just as individual as choice of a guitar.

My home-defense gun:

I like .45 ACP. Stopping power is great and 230gr is subsonic. A flashlight mounted on the pistol is a big plus for a home defense gun (as long as you're sticking a flashlight on, you might as well get one with a laser). If you ever fire a pistol in an enclosed area, you'll appreciate a suppressor. You don't want hearing damage just because some jackass broke into your house. Tritium sights are also a plus.

JMV

Reaction score
All great advice! Well, I'm not sure about the Raging Bull... :laugh2:

I've been shooting since I was about 12. For reference, the guns I'm most experienced with:

- Smith and Wesson 357 Magnum with 4" barrel (consistently my favorite handgun to shoot)
- Smith and Wesson 357 Snub Nose
- Beretta 92FS 9mm
-.380 Bersa Cool gun and handy to shoot, but I'd prefer more knockdown power.
- Glock 9mm (unsure of specific model #)
- Raven 32 Auto - POS
- Ruger .22 revolver
- Mossberg 12 gauge
- Mauser 30-06

I may end up going the revolver route, but I certainly don't need the power of a 357. I absolutely love the feel of the Beretta, but I feel as though I need to completely change how I shoot in order to be accurate with it.

Dan

Reaction score
All great advice! Well, I'm not sure about the Raging Bull... :laugh2:

I've been shooting since I was about 12. For reference, the guns I'm most experienced with:

- Smith and Wesson 357 Magnum with 4" barrel (consistently my favorite handgun to shoot)
- Smith and Wesson 357 Snub Nose
- Beretta 92FS 9mm
-.380 Bersa Cool gun and handy to shoot, but I'd prefer more knockdown power.
- Glock 9mm (unsure of specific model #)
- Raven 32 Auto - POS
- Ruger .22 revolver
- Mossberg 12 gauge
- Mauser 30-06

I may end up going the revolver route, but I certainly don't need the power of a 357. I absolutely love the feel of the Beretta, but I feel as though I need to completely change how I shoot in order to be accurate with it.
If you've got experience with and are comfortable with a S&W 4", then that would be a fine home defense choice. .357 is a fine defense round and when it comes time to defend yourself, that's no time to debate whether or not you've brought enough gun to the fight. To quote Robert Ruark, "use enough gun." If you don't feel comfortable with .357, you can shoot .38 special rounds in the same revolver instead. The lower powered ammo combined with the larger frame and barrel of the full-sized S&W frame would make an excellent shooter for both you and your wife.

Reactions: JMV

#1guitarman

Reaction score
I like the .40 for it's capacity and with quality ammo it will do some serious damage.
I prefer the Sig 226, I have mine in 9mm but that was more of a policy driven purchase than choice.

Look into Sig, and the Springfield XD series are great as well.

My XD is a .45 and a comfortable pistol to shoot.
Both are great quality handguns.
My Sig 226 stays with me at all times while up on the mainland. Loaded with,
1. 1 round of FMJ (in the pipe) A hollow point won't penetrate auto glass.
2. 2 rounds of Fed. Hydroshock
3. 10 rounds of BLK Talon
4. 2 rounds of tracer
5. last round a BLK Talon

One in the pipe, and a full mag.

Second mag loaded the same, only 1 tracer before lst rnd=15 rnds. Loaded properly and knowing how to use it can make a 9mm a really devastating weapon.
I love my Colt Commander, I trust my Sig.:thumb:

JMV

Reaction score
That's true. I do enjoy shooting the .38 specials. Shooting .357s from that snub nose is pretty gnarly. I do need a gun that both she and I can comfortably shoot, and she has small hands. We'll go together to check out guns together.

She has also grown up around guns and her dad shoots competitively as a hobby.

I appreciate all the suggestions. That's what I was hoping to get out of this thread. What things you guys look for in a gun or what things you can't stand.

#1guitarman

Reaction score
If you're not an experienced shooter, I always recommend revolvers. They have no complications to worry about (safeties, slides to rack, jams, feed problems, etc.).

The downside is they have to be well and truly childproofed.

Capacity is not an issue, in practical terms. It's for defense - you're not likely to get into a drawn out gun battle.

If you have to have capacity, get a glock 17, 9mm. Like the revolver, there are no safeties to worry about, and they're pretty much revolver-like in their reliability. 9mm will still get the job done and it's easy to shoot.

Remember, it may be a novice (wife, adult kids, etc.) who has to arm themselves with this gun. Big cannons with huge grips and heavy recoil won't work for your 5'3" wife or your teenaged daughter.

HERE IS THE IMPORTANT THING:
Gun choice is not as important as a good strategy and the proper mind-set.

SOME TIPS FOR GOOD STRATEGY:

1) Get a dog. A high-tech alarm system is only good if you use it. A dog is 24/7.

2) Keep your cell phone and a good flashlight in your bedroom.

3) Get a strong door and a good lock for your bedroom. Make a plan for the family to "retreat" there.

4) Lock the door and call the cops. Stay on the line with 911 until help arrives.

5) Yell out into the hall loudly that you are armed and the police are on their way, and lock the door.

6) Get your family away from the door and any line of fire from the door.

7) Get behind something heavy and establish a line of fire to the door in case they try to break in.

HERE ARE SOME TIPS FOR GETTING THE PROPER MIND-SET:

1) Do not "go looking for trouble" and try to clear the house or engage the intruders. The cops can clear the house when they get there.

2) Your only reason to foray out of your "safe room" is to go just as far as your kids rooms, where you can get them and take them back to safety. Gun in hand, but pointed at the floor or the ceiling, finger OFF the trigger (remember the next person you see will likely be a frightened family member)

3) If it's dark and you don't know where the bad guys are, you can walk into an ambush.

4) If you don't know where your family members are, you can end up shooting them.

5) If you're wandering around with a gun when the cops arrive, they might shoot you.

MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL:

6) You are NOT Dirty Harry, or Bruce Willis, or Chuck Norris, etc. You are just an ordinary schmuck who's very scared and likely to do something dumb.

7) The EXACT same thing can be said of the intruder. Professional Ninjas aren't after you - dopey teens or crackheads are more likely, and their gun hands and trigger fingers are shaking just like yours. Stay out of each others way!

8) The crap you see in the movies is just that - crap. Keep a cool head, and play it safe.
:thumb::applause::thumb:
Without a doubt, this post has to be made "Post of the Year".
NEVER, has a post made more sense.
Again...:thumb::applause::thumb:
My hats off to ya!

Dan

Reaction score
That's true. I do enjoy shooting the .38 specials. Shooting .357s from that snub nose is pretty gnarly. I do need a gun that both she and I can comfortably shoot, and she has small hands. We'll go together to check out guns together.

She has also grown up around guns and her dad shoots competitively as a hobby.

I appreciate all the suggestions. That's what I was hoping to get out of this thread. What things you guys look for in a gun or what things you can't stand.
Glad we could help. It's good to see you include your wife in the decision-making process. I can't tell you how many times I sold someone a "home defense" pistol that was a full-size .45 and the wife was a 90 pound twig who couldn't even hold the damn thing up.

Considering you're picking out something for you and the wife, I would definitely consider a .357 or .38 revolver with at least 2" of barrel. A true snubby can be very inaccurate, especially when in duress.

Also take a look at a Glock 19. That's the mid-size compact 9mm. Folks always want to get their wife the smallest automatic they can (like a PPK), but the reality is those pistols' slides are so much harder to pull back. Withe the Glock 19, it is easy to operate for a lady. My wife, who is all of 5'2", qualified for her concealed weapons permit with a score of 98 with a Glock 19.

But again, revolver or Glock 19 are both spouse-friendly choices.

Reaction score
Colt 45 Defender. My favorite gun ever, very compact, comfortable, and easy to operate. I like Sig a lot too. I have a Sig Saur 9mm that is my range gun.
I have a Colt Defender 90. I love it for concealed carry.

For home defense I would not use a hand gun. I would own a 12 gauge shotgun with the 18" barrel and pistol grip (basic SWAT configuration). I promise you this is much, much more safe for you, your family and any other people in your home that you care about when you have to use it.

JMV

Reaction score
Being that you and I are local to each other if you are wanting to try out a Glock .40 cal I wouldn't mind meeting you at a range so you could get a feel of one before you buy something. Mine is the model 22c.
That's quite an offer! One of the models I'm strongly considering is a Glock G22. :hmm:

Nicky

On The Road Less Traveled
Reaction score
SIG P-226. 9mm is just fine.:thumb:

BTW, whatever you decide to get, be sure to practice at the range. Then when you get home, tear it down and clean it. You will learn how it's put together and functions. SIGs are simple mechanically, and extremely reliable.

TeleDog

Pain in the Rear!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My humble suggestion, get a P1976 Colt S/A revolver, 44-40 Winchester with a 7 1/2 barrel. Not only gorgeous to look at, but simple, easy to maintain, and powerful enough to punch a whole in that bad guy so wide your entire city will see what he had for breakfast!

KP

Reaction score
Why spend so much money for the brand name?

CZ makes great weapons. I prefer 9 mm HP hollow points in the home magazine. YOu can go to the .40 but it will cost a lot more for ammo.

CZ-USA -> CZ 75 B

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
If I was looking for a home defense weapon that my wife would be using too...I'd look at a shotgun first. A short barreled (20") Remington pump...maybe in a .20 gauge, loaded with birdshot. Or I'd be looking at a revolver. My wife can shoot my S&W .38 without any problems, but she has a hard time gripping and cocking the automatics. Simple is better, a revolver has less to go wrong and less to operate...it's point and shoot.

I have a Kimber .45 and a Beretta 8045 in .45 and I'm proficient with both, but the recoil isn't as easy to handle for someone with small hands and who doesn't practice regularly.

albion59

Reaction score
I'd go for a Glock 21 or 22. Both ultra reliable and easy to use.

Duane24

Reaction score
better live in a state with castle laws before even considering this as a likely option for home defense, or else you're just creating a lawsuit waiting to happen, only a few states have these laws.

#1guitarman

Reaction score
better live in a state with castle laws before even considering this as a likely option for home defense, or else you're just creating a lawsuit waiting to happen, only a few states have these laws.
Missa Charlie sez if you get in my mix @ the WinnDixie, I can pop a cap in yo ass....I LOVE FLORIDA!!!
"Intimate Domain" starts where you start to feel "uncomfortable for your saftey or the safety of your family", BUT, ya better have a concelled carry permit fo' dat Gat...($175.00, issued by the state) elsewise yo' is headin' fo' trouble!!

Latest Threads